Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions For Filing For Disability?

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 7:26 pm

Hi, I’m New To Post. I Was Diagnosed In The Begining Of This Year. I Have Been Off Work Since Jan. Of 2005. I Was Waiting To File For Disability In Hopes I Would Recover Fast And Get Back To Work. Well It Doesn’t Look That Way. Has Anyone Else Filed? Did You Have A Difficult Time Recieving It? Were You Denied And Then Had To Hire A Attorney To Resubmit? I Would Love To Hear Any Suggestions. I Had To Face The Fact That I’m Not Superwoman And Now It’s Time To Apply. Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Vic

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2006 at 8:09 pm

Hey Vic,

If you are talking about SSI/SSD, having been through it, I would recommend an attorney if only to save you alot of time and grief. I just wanted someone else to handle it so I could concentrate on getting better. If I can be of any help feel free to private message me or email me and I would be happy to help any way I can.

Jerimy

• November 15, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Yes I applied in 1996 and got it on the first try. My Neurologist wrote that my disability was complete and permanent. He also stated that this was his and the hospitals position. I also had a letter from Mayo stating that I had some form of GBS( which was actually CIDP)
      Good Luck
      Bill W

• Anonymous
      November 15, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Hello:

If you search this forum back a month or so, you will find other threads related to thisd topic. I relayed my experience and advice in detail on those threads, but to paraphrase – if your disability is severe, and your doctor will sign a concise cover letter that details your disabilities and HOW THEY PREVENT YOU FROM DOING WORK FOR THE NEXT 12 MONTHS MINIMUM – then, you should be in good shape to file.

I filed online, submitted my doctor’s cover letter stating essence of disability, and a fairly short stack of medical records, and I was approved in full with no interview, and no review anticipated for over three years.

My doctor provided me with a monthly chart of 12 month’s history of my muscle resistance strength which illustrated persistent grade 1, 2, and 3 weakness in many major areas, punctuated by a severe exacerbation.

I was pretty surprised how easy the whole process was, but I followed good advice provided by others on this message board, and was able to concisely prove severe disability that will be persistent for at least 12 months. That is the key. There can be no ambiguity. I am a 44 year-old male who worked in management consulting – heavy travel, lots of meetings, long hours and lots of computer work but not a real “physical” job. I do hope to return to work someday in a less rigourous capacity in not too distant future?..

Best of luck to you.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 9:45 pm

Bbilt…

I am curious… Did you see your doctor once a month to get those readings..??? Since I got the diagnosis (Sept., 2005), I have only seen my doctor twice…

Aimee

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2006 at 4:56 pm

Hi Aimee:

Yes, I see my neurologist monthly, and he performs the muscle strength testing, and tracks the history on a chart. The appointments are only 20 minutes or so, but we get totalk and he is able to track response to treatments very diligently. During a severe exacerbation earlier this year, he was seeing me every week for at least six weeks or so, to check me as we tried some aggressive new treatments.

• Anonymous
      November 21, 2006 at 10:53 am

Hi Vic,

I applied for SSD in July of this year, after my 4th episode of GBS in 2 years. (I also waited to file previously hoping to get right back to work.) This last episode was severe with me needing to be on a vent. My husband filed for me as soon as I was moved out of the ICU. I was approved within 5 weeks. I think what did it for me was the records from the hospital and the letter from my family doctor.

I read the stories from people here who were denied and had to get a lawyer and appeal. I was sure I would be denied the first try. I was so suprised when it was approved so fast. Think positive. Be very detailed when filling out the paperwork. More info is better than less.

Good Luck,

Brenda

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 5:37 am

Being as thorough as possible, describing graphically what the physical limitations are by quantifying (how many repetitions, how much weight, how frequently you can engage in the activity) must be accompanied by focussed responses from the doctor, in addition to meeting the 12 period of expected disability. There isn’t one “right” formula but I don’t believe it’s necessary to employ the assistance of an attorney unless you don’t feel you can handle the stress, or you can afford to have them take a chunk of the money you receive in the end that would have otherwise gone to medical bills and other essential costs. There are Independent Living Centers all over the country with advocates trained in assisting with these processes for free. Other recommendations lie in previous posts and I and others have provided detailed information on the questions and processes you are exploring.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 5:40 am

Being as thorough as possible, describing graphically what the physical limitations are by quantifying (how many repetitions, how much weight, how frequently you can engage in the activity) must be accompanied by focussed responses from the doctor, in addition to meeting the 12 month period of expected disability.

There isn’t one “right” formula but I don’t believe it’s necessary to employ the assistance of an attorney unless you don’t feel you can handle the stress, or you can afford to have them take a chunk of the money you receive in the end that would have otherwise gone to medical bills and other essential costs.

There are Independent Living Centers all over the country with advocates trained in assisting with these processes for free. Other recommendations lie in previous posts where I and others have provided detailed information on the questions and processes you are exploring.

Disability Program Navigator

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2006 at 3:06 am

Make sure when filling in the form you fill it in as it was your worst ever day and fill everything in from your name to the amount of help you may need.

Make sure you put as much detail as you can and any doctors and consultants letters .

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2006 at 11:45 pm

When Nate got GBS, I applied for emergency MediCaid.
      The other insurance Nate had did not cover Long Term care. He was quickly approved for MediCaid.
      The MediCaid worker told me to file for SSD then, not to wait. He knew that it was going to be a long road for Nate. Nate had only State Disability then and it was all eaten up by Share of Cost MediCaid.
      There is no telling who will get better fast and who won’t.
      I’m not trying to be negative, but it takes awhile to get an appointment and then awhile to get approved.
      Waiting will only make you wait longer when you need the financial help.
      Nate was approved for SSD 5 mos after I applied for him.
      He had no trouble getting approved.
      He will be going on to SSI after February when his state disability runs out.
      More papers to fill out.
      I’m sanding down my pinky finger from filling out all the papers for so long.