Do you drive a car with the GBS?

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Today is exactly 3 months for my DH with the GBS.
      Last week he ‘graduated’ from his outpatient PT, but he’ll have OT once a week for a few weeks (or until he uses his benefits up), I think, in addition to doing all his PT and OT exercises at home.

In general, he’s doing fine considering that there’re much worse situations, so we feel very grateful and hope not to relapse, etc.

Here’s the thing that I’m worried about because I cannot put myself in his shoes and understand how feels/senses with his extremities…He wants to start [B]driving his car [/B] because he MISSES his job. He doesn’t work yet, but he wants to go back ASAP, not full time, but at least a few hours a day. His work is mostly on computer and talking on the phone. We are not sure whether his employer will agree to give him a laptop so he could work from home for a month or so.

When did you start driving again after being dx’d with the GBS?
      Were your extremities still numb?
      How did you learn to drive again?

I let him drive my automatic car (he has a manual stick-shift) in an empty parking lot two times.
      Before starting the car, he looked down to make sure his right foot is positioned correctly, but when he started driving he didn’t need to look down again. His feet are numb (as well as fingers), but he claims he feels muscles when he bends left his right foot to brake and shifts it back on the gas pedal. Oh, and he sometimes turned the wipers on because his 3 right hand fingers don’t always stay on the steering wheel.

So, what was your driving experience? Did you wait until your senses come back before driving?

I just want to hear your thoughts based on your experience, because my husband is POSITIVE he can drive an automatic car in his condition. All he needs he says it’s practice.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2011 at 6:26 pm

We are all different. I started driving right away for short distances. I would drive to PT with my walker in the back seat. Hands and feet were and are still numb but I could always feel pressure. I still do not drive on the highway by myself. I need to close by eyes often, which I do at stop signs and lights just for 4 or 5 seconds. I would go with him to a deserted area and if you and he feel comfortable then he is probable ready. I had to sell the car with the stick shift, it was just to much to handle. If he is honest with himself, he will know what he can do. good Luck

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2011 at 3:14 pm

It took me over a year to start driving again. I wear padded driving gloves which helps with the pain.
      I still cannot feel with my feet or hands very well,makes it hard to get the breaks on softly . I try not to drive in heave traffic any more.

• Anonymous
      July 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I started to drive again when it was obvious that my reflexes were normal and there was no ataxia in hands and feet. For myself, it was only about 2 months, for others maybe a lot longer. There was still the fatigue and muscle jumps and tingles, but I had full control of my hands and feet.

• Anonymous
      July 21, 2011 at 7:34 am

I’m 14 months into mine, still hand and foot numbness plus pain. been driving my 5 spd truck for 4 months now.
      Due to DMV procedures here in Va I had to be tested behind the wheel prior to being ok’d to drive.

Driving again was like being let out of jail. Let him go for it.

• July 21, 2011 at 9:45 am

[QUOTE=WBowyer]I’m 14 months into mine, still hand and foot numbness plus pain. been driving my 5 spd truck for 4 months now.
      Due to DMV procedures here in Va I had to be tested behind the wheel prior to being ok’d to drive.

Driving again was like being let out of jail. Let him go for it.[/QUOTE]
      +1 on this. Home no matter how comfortable can become prison under GBS. For myself, once I got some control of my arms and legs I was driving, about 2 months after ICU. IMO he should be watchful for fatigue, it can hit fast and could be a prob on a long trip.

• July 23, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I am almost 10 months into this and have no problems driving short or long distances. I asked the exact same questions after 6 weeks (you can look up my posts). What I can say is start small but whatever he can do for himself will be a big boost in self confidence. Maybe driving to therapy, the post office, a drive through.

Certaily if he wants to do a road trip you may need to step in but if he can let him do it. If you both have cell phones all the better, or give him a number to reach a friend or relative I case he gets stuck.

I got my keys stuck in my pocket once took me a half hour to figure it out.:o But I got it and that is what counts.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

[QUOTE=WBowyer]I’m 14 months into mine, still hand and foot numbness plus pain. been driving my 5 spd truck for 4 months now.
      Due to DMV procedures here in Va I had to be tested behind the wheel prior to being ok’d to drive. [/QUOTE]

I don’t know the regulations in NC. Is everyone supposed to disclose to the DMV about the GBS or does it depend on each state? Our neuro didn’t mention that he’ll need to be tested by the DMV. All he said is using common sense.

We do very short distances now. And yes, he said the same thing that he’d feel more normal if I’d allow him to drive. For now, he drives with me every other day for a few minutes. Maybe in a month or so I’ll feel better about this, but now he needs a passenger just in case.

We’ll also go to Walmart or an auto store to see steering wheel covers… Maybe one of them would give him a better feel or help his grip or won’t make his palms sweat. Sweating wasn’t an issue when he was healthy. Right now they sweat a little bit perhaps because he’s a bit nervous driving while I’m observing him or it’s new condition after the GBS, I don’t know.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I told my daughter once she has some reflex… I also looked into getting our car adapted for her. it was not that much money, there are companies out there. but luckily the reflexes were returning then so we were able to let her start driving. Check with you local driving school, that is who gave me the name.. Ibelieve here in MA it is called adaptive driving… good luck… wishing you both the best.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Yes I did take lessons to drive with hand controls.I still can not feel feet or have much feeling at all with braces.If i had to drive with my feet i could not.So for myself i have my independence and pride back.I had to pay for driver Rehab but i am so glad i did.I have two autos set up for hand controls.But any one can still drive by removing a plate over gas petal takes 5 seconds to remove.Driver Rehab has ways of checking to see what type of adaptive devices would be needed.They also do assessment of abilities.Many hospitals have driver rehab.Then with perscription in hand went to a certified shop for installation.This does depend on what degree of recovery.Motor skills ,vision,perceptual and cognitive. and reaction time.This process is a team effort. This is just info on what i have done for myself.Good luck

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2011 at 10:27 am

Thank you for the answers.

I think, the problem lies with me, not with my DH who’s got GBS. I suppose, I’m very worried (in general, I’m a worrior 😡 , and now add the GBS on top of that 😮 ). So…

…he’s been driving short distances and I sit and observe. He’s doing great, but this is what worries me at the moment.
      – He looks down to check his feet before starting the car. He doesn’t afterwards because he says he feels the position of the right foot (if it’s bent to the right, it’s on the gas pedal; if it’s bent to the left, it’s on the brake pedal);
      – He was skittish a few times when he needed to turn left and there was not a traffic light. Hopefully he’ll overcome this skittishness with more practice.
      – He’s quite slow when he has to turn on the narrow streets or driveways. It worries me because a driver behind him might start honking on him and that could cause my DH to make a mistake….I know this is just in my head and should think only positive.

We bought a cover for the steering wheel. He likes it because it’s a bit thicker now and helps his grip.

We live in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. The good thing is that DH’s work place is 10 min from the house and doesn’t involve Hwy driving. Maybe now he’ll need 15min to drive, but he’ll need to keep calm and ignore other drivers when driving. He’ll be driving in the 35-50 MPH zones and drivers like to speed because it’s pretty much a straight road there.

• August 1, 2011 at 11:44 am

[QUOTE=ScaredWife]Thank you for the answers.

I think, the problem lies with me, not with my DH who’s got GBS. I suppose, I’m very worried (in general, I’m a worrior 😡 , and now add the GBS on top of that 😮 ). So…

…he’s been driving short distances and I sit and observe. He’s doing great, but this is what worries me at the moment.
      – He looks down to check his feet before starting the car. He doesn’t afterwards because he says he feels the position of the right foot (if it’s bent to the right, it’s on the gas pedal; if it’s bent to the left, it’s on the brake pedal);
      – He was skittish a few times when he needed to turn left and there was not a traffic light. Hopefully he’ll overcome this skittishness with more practice.
      – He’s quite slow when he has to turn on the narrow streets or driveways. It worries me because a driver behind him might start honking on him and that could cause my DH to make a mistake….I know this is just in my head and should think only positive.

We bought a cover for the steering wheel. He likes it because it’s a bit thicker now and helps his grip.

We live in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC. The good thing is that DH’s work place is 10 min from the house and doesn’t involve Hwy driving. Maybe now he’ll need 15min to drive, but he’ll need to keep calm and ignore other drivers when driving. He’ll be driving in the 35-50 MPH zones and drivers like to speed because it’s pretty much a straight road there.[/QUOTE]
      hey wife…baby steps are the first, things will improve…I agree you are correct about stress being a concern, I hope he can keep cool, did you get a parking permit?

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2011 at 1:45 am

I only had a small motorcycle and tried to ride it several times at around 4 month after being released from hospital. It just felt to strange so I put it up for sale and bought a small van that is manual transmission. I’m a big guy and the pedals are close together. My feet are still a little numb and hands very numb and tingle still. I have a tightness in my chest and upper arms so I drive carefully. I live in the Philippines and the drivers here are something. I still don’t have any measurable reflexes, but when I have had to make a quick stop or turn, it appears I don’t have any problem. I have taken several road trips of an hour or two with no problems.

• August 13, 2014 at 7:32 am

I don’t think I would like having to transport pts in my personal vehicle, at least not on the usual. I worked skilled visits for my organization but they also do private duty. It is beside the company’s policy to drive patients in one’s own car. I would not at all drive a patient wherever in my car. I would call an ambulance or a taxi in an urgent situation, but I would never put myself in that location, by using my own vehicle.

• August 23, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I am four months into GBS this time. Have had it four more times. My arms and legs are weak but I can drive my car short distances. I do not have the energy to go outside my city. I only drive when I need to get milk, etc. from the Walgreens close by. For groceries, I need help.

• September 1, 2014 at 1:16 am

My hubby has CIDP. He was released from rehab August 2011 on crutches. I work full time and was driving him it ivig and PT appointments. In October 2011 we made the decision to get hand controls. His arms had recovered quite well, but the legs were way too weak to respond quickly to braking.

Best decision we made. Worth every penny. When I drove his car home with the controls he was out in the driveway like a 16 year old who had just gotten his license.

We did have a trainer come to our house to give him some lessons. Hand controls made me feel more comfortable about his driving.

Hope this helps.

• JDB
      October 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm

I live in Europe, and after I applied for a handicapped parking sticker, the driving office summoned me for a medical examination a few months later to determine if I am still qualified to drive. It’s a hassle for me – I guess you Americans will complain again about intrusive governments – but here they’re thinking more about other drivers on the road who are at risk from less than fully competent drivers who insist on driving for their own convenience more than the safety of others. But the main target is not GBS patients, who are also relatively rare, but rather, the usual victims of strokes or old-age and are in denial about the whole thing.

• November 28, 2014 at 7:54 pm

It was 2 1/2 years before I started driving again, just a few months ago. First drive was 3.3 kms and it was very painful afterwards. My wrists and ankle turned to jello and I could hardly get out of bed the next morning, I was so stiff. I am still only driving about that distance but my muscles have built up by doing it and it is much more comfortable now.

• January 17, 2015 at 6:19 am

Not sure about my judgement, but I drove even when I couldn’t feel any sensation other than pins and needles, which lasted a full year (bad to play bass when you can’t feel your skin). Thing was, at the time I had a Mitsubishi 3000 twin-turbo and the clutch wore me out! I had to sell it… still miss that car almost as much as I do my vitality. But driving wasn’t all that bad even without being able to feel much of my body. In retrospect, driving when I shouldn’t was a part of denial that I was impaired… went for five years trying to pull myself up by my own bootstraps, till I realized I needed help. There are times I get into despair concerning loss of a career and so many other consequences, but I do my best to appreciate the fact that I drive well in my Honda Civic… beep-beep! I sure miss my sports car, though… darned %@_&@_#&#_ GBS… heheh