Do those with GBS have subtle markings in their skin ?

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2007 at 11:11 am

Do those with GBS have subtle markings in their skin corresponding with demyelinated neurology ?.

I have autoimmune demyelination which includes both CNS and PNS.
      My PNS involvement has caused subtle blanching patterns in my skin corresponding with cutaneous neurology,
      (static-type electric shocks accompanied their formation).

If you click on my homepage you will see links to photographs of the blanching patterns.

(alternatively use this link [url]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/chevron-blanching/page8.html[/url])

The markings are so subtle that would be possible to have them without being immediately aware of them,
      although one would definitely be aware of the static-type electric shocks which accompanied their formation.

If you also have these markings, or are aware of any article on this phenomenon, could you please post here,
      (or send me a PM, or email).

Thanks in advance.

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2007 at 11:24 am

Chevron,

Do these markings become more noticable some times more than others?

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2007 at 11:19 pm

hi chevron & welcome,

i & others have had skin conditions due to gbs, but i never heard what you describe. with gbs almost anything goes, so i am not too surprised. others may have more knowledge. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2007 at 10:32 am

[QUOTE=ali]Chevron,

Do these markings become more noticable some times more than others?[/QUOTE]

Hi Alison,
      the blanching markings are permanent, (not Raynaud’s phenomenon), however they can be made to become more obvious by causing vasodilation in surrounding skin, (vasoconstriction is more obvious if surrounded by vasodilation). In the images of my neck I slapped the skin to cause it to redden (vasodilation) which caused the blanching pattern (vasoconstriction) to become more obvious.

Hair does not grow on the blanching lines, (presumably due to the continuous vasospasm restricting blood flow to the follicles).
      So the patterns on my face and neck are more obvious if I have not shaved for a day or two, as the white bald blanched lines are then surrounded by dark stubble. In the images of my neck I have shaved my face, but not my neck.

The blanching pattern on my neck, on the carotid pulse point, reminds me of a spiral of peel from an apple/orange,
      (if that’s not too Rorschach-esque).

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2007 at 11:52 am

Hi Chevron, I’ve had the same type of markings for longer then I’ve had gbs/cidp, but it has been more noticable since my major paralysis event. My pcp thought it had something to do with my circulation problems. I would always trace the marks and make a path. just to make lite of my weird markings. Thanks for giving me an explanation that makes sense. Now I know its not just in my head.;) Do you have swelling in your extremeties when you walk or when your extremeties are warm? Just curious. Take care.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 10:40 am

[quote=angel2ndclass22699]Hi Chevron, I’ve had the same type of markings for longer then I’ve had gbs/cidp, but it has been more noticable since my major paralysis event. My pcp thought it had something to do with my circulation problems. I would always trace the marks and make a path. just to make lite of my weird markings. Thanks for giving me an explanation that makes sense. [B]Now I know its not just in my head[/B].;) [/quote]
      Hi Angel,
      when I first attempted to show a neurologist the mark on my thumb, without the aid of a contrast-enhanced photograph, he could not see it and wrongly concluded I was imagining that I could see patterns corresponding with neurology. It was this event which prompted me to obtain clear photographs of this phenomenon to prove they actually exist.

[quote]Do you have swelling in your extremeties when you walk or when your extremeties are warm? [/quote]
      There is no warmth* or swelling. Electric shocks and numbness accompany the formation of the blanching patterns, feeling slowly returns taking about 3-4 months to reach maximum recovery of touch.

(* I have had paresthesia where my little & ringfinger feel warm, but this is a false sensation due to short-circuiting, not true warmth).

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2007 at 12:47 pm

I’ve just realised this forum allows pictures to be posted.
      Here are images of the blanching pattern on my thumb,
      (and a corresponding dissection showing cutaneous nerves).
      [IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z279/blanching/ThumbsForumSize.jpg[/IMG]
      All the images of blanching patterns can be accessed from the “Weblinks” page of my homepage.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I’ve just realised this forum allows pictures to be posted.
      Here are images of the blanching pattern on my thumb,
      (and a corresponding dissection showing cutaneous nerves).
      [IMG]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z279/blanching/ThumbsForumSize.jpg[/IMG]
      All the images of blanching patterns can be accessed from my homepage.

[url]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/chevron-blanching/page8.html[/url]

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Hmm ~ well here’s another one of those “left-over results” of GBS! I didn’t have this before GBS so . . . As on the residual thread, it’s “comforting” to know that I’m not the only one and that it’s not all in my head. When will medicine recognize that when the body’s major communication system is assulted, any residual is possible??!!

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2007 at 9:37 am

[QUOTE=Judi Z]I didn’t have this [B]before GBS [/B][/quote]

Diagnosis can be years after onset.
      People can suffer from autoimmune demyelination for many years before they are officially diagnosed. I am trying to publicize these blanching markings as they could enable some individuals to be diagnosed and treated sooner, and spared the additional ordeal of being treated as a hypochondriac or malingerer.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2007 at 10:23 am

Chevron,

I tried to get to your website, but it must be down?!?! I have a mottled look on my arms (around my elbows) since GBS. Sometimes it looks like bruising. I’ve showed it to the docs and they think I am seeing things too. I do have more pronounced rosacia (?sp) on my face and neck and chest – three varities. I have this big white section on my neck that tends to stand out at the strangest times. I figured it was another GBS bonus. I’ll try your site again later.

• Anonymous
      October 20, 2007 at 2:34 pm

Chevron,
      I have had brown blotches on my legs for several years before they figured out that I had CIDP. The discoloration and later the numbness finally led to a trip to neurologist. As an intern he had done research on CIDP. So after more test then I can count and trip to Birmingham AL. He confirmed that I had CIDP. The whole process only took 12 years. By the the way those “blotches” are still there and getting larger and the numbness spreads