Dizziness during early recovery?

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Hi all,

Bob experienced a lot of dizziness today and was wondering if others experienced the same thing during recovery. When I say dizziness I mean it feels like the room is spinning around, he even had involuntary eye movement, where his eyes went from side to side. It’s only when he’s lying down, and especially when he’s turned on his side. His dr said it is an inner ear situation in which the nerves have started working there again, but aren’t communicating properly yet with the brain, the dr said it should clear up. His question is has anyone else experienced this? Is the dr’s explanation correct? How long did it last for other’s?

As always, thanks for helping,

Christie

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 10:16 pm

Christie,

When I had eye problems I had bouncing vision problems. I could not fix my eye’s on an object without them moving all the time. It is just like balance it comes back in due time. It is different in all people. Mine lasted 5 to 8 weeks.

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 10:17 pm

I had a little dizziness at the beginning of GBS that lasted only a few days. It was not bad. My blood pressure then was really high (onset with the GBS). Everyone is different. Some medications can cause dizziness–including lyrica and neurontin that are used sometimes in GBS. Think about if any new medications or changes in doses have happened, as well. I had bad dizziness from a medicine decades ago–where I would feel like I was going to run into a wall and could not walk straight and finally gave up and went back to bed. It was really scarey, but went away very soon after stopping it. If his is from GBS, moving really, really slowly to turn may help. Finding a point to fix his eyes on when moving may help. I hope this goes away really soon for him.
      Deannie

• Anonymous
      September 30, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Yes, I have dizzyness. It was much worse in the beginning but as the years have gone by, it’s less and less. It will happen usually when I’ve gotten over tired (yes Gene, I hear you 😀 )

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 10:34 am

I had dizzyness just before my release from the hospital. My neuro said it was possibly from a reduction in some of my meds and my cranial nerves healing. It only lasted a few weeks, but I was healing very quickly. At the beginning, I would get dizzy while just standing or while laying down. It would just happen, the room would start spinning. In a few seconds, it would go away. When it happened while laying down, it was only while on my side and it happened with both sides. That lasted longer but all my dizziness went away. Now, nearly two and a half years post, I don’t have any dizziness at all and I haven’t since a few weeks after my discharge from the hospital.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 11:01 am

[QUOTE=TCorrell]I had dizzyness just before my release from the hospital. My neuro said it was possibly from a reduction in some of my meds and my cranial nerves healing. It only lasted a few weeks, but I was healing very quickly. At the beginning, I would get dizzy while just standing or while laying down. It would just happen, the room would start spinning. In a few seconds, it would go away. When it happened while laying down, it was only while on my side and it happened with both sides. That lasted longer but all my dizziness went away. Now, nearly two and a half years post, I don’t have any dizziness at all and I haven’t since a few weeks after my discharge from the hospital.

Tonya Correll[/QUOTE]

Tonya,
      Your experience sounds EXACTLY the same as Bob’s (my father-in-law). You mentioned you were healing quickly. He too is going through some rapid recovery right now. Were you left completely paralyzed by the disease? How long was your recovery?
      Thanks,
      Christine

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 12:32 pm

I had shaking at the beginning and it was bad. It zap energy like crazy and effected my eyes and balance really bad if I moved quickly. It was not as bad if I moved slowly it vibrated slowly. If I moved quickly it rattled me and I would get dizzy. It was like every muscle was vibrating to a different rhythm and in different directions. That took many months to go away. It was frustrating and scarey. I kept hoping that this was not how the rest of my life was going to be. It was not. At times now it has completely stopped and until it come back I did not realize it has stopped. I do too much and it gets worse and especially when I am also tired like someone mentioned. I took it as a way to know my body was tired and it helped me listen to my body. But donj’t take anything as “normal” always report those things to your Doctor. We have a tendancy to blame GBS for things that are caused by other things. Things will get better! Stay possitive you have alot of other surprizes to experience with this illness that will keep you posting questions! All are part of the healing process and you should be glad you are seeing changes.

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 12:33 pm

I had shaking at the beginning and it was bad. It zap energy like crazy and effected my eyes and balance really bad if I moved quickly. It was not as bad if I moved slowly it vibrated slowly. If I moved quickly it rattled me and I would get dizzy. It was like every muscle was vibrating to a different rhythm and in different directions. That took many months to go away. It was frustrating and scarey. I kept hoping that this was not how the rest of my life was going to be. It was not. At times now it has completely stopped and until it come back I did not realize it has stopped. I do too much and it gets worse and especially when I am also tired like someone mentioned. I took it as a way to know my body was tired and it helped me listen to my body. But donj’t take anything as “normal” always report those things to your Doctor. We have a tendancy to blame GBS for things that are caused by other things. Things will get better! Stay possitive you have alot of other surprizes to experience with this illness that will keep you posting questions! All are part of the healing process and you should be glad you are seeing changes. Keep a Journal it is easy that way to see how much progress you are making day by day and month by month! Looking back over the fustrating 23 months my Journal is a good reminder of just how far I have come. 🙂

• Anonymous
      October 1, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Christie, Please tell Bob he is NOT alone in this. Rest assured it will go away or at least get better as recovery goes. and look on the brightside, after he recovers he’ll be able to handle any and All Roller Coasters!:D it worked for me anyways!;)
      I found neurontin(Gabapentin) helped with my dizziness, I always have the opposite effect with meds then most people.:rolleyes: Hugs!