Diptheria vaccine

• Anonymous
      February 23, 2007 at 9:16 pm

Hi

My daughter, 13 years old, is now due a diptheria booster. I did not have this at her age I don’t think it was even around then in 1969. Actually she is offered a diptheria and tetanus combined vaccine. She’ll not get the tetanus shot – I decided that a year or two ago.

I’ve read the medical board’s opinion – which seems biased. I have also read the anti’s opinons – whch are equally biased.

We have not had problems with vaccine in the past. I know that there are those who could die after a vaccine.

If it was being offered to me, I would decline. But it is being offered to the most precious person in my life.

I would sincerely appeciate your personal views, not the rhetoric spouted on the Internet.

Admittedly I tend to lean towards the ‘most other people have them, there fore I will agree to it’ but I don’t want to do that blindly.

I suppose I am just asking for peoples ideas.

God bless

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2007 at 3:57 am

Before I had GBS I would likely say take innoculations.

Now I won’t take any.

So, post-GBS, if I had to decide for a child, and weigh the benefits against the possibility of illness and GBS, there are some vaccinations that I would opt for and some I would not.

If I were in an geographical area that has had no cases of diptheria I would want to only opt for the tetanus shot.

…..but if my spouse disagreed I would let her choice go forward.

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2007 at 12:00 pm

Hi TA,

You know how I feel about vaccines after all these years of me posting.

On the other hand I have also said that vaccines have also been a blessing in getting rid of certain diseases worldwide. I’m torn on this subject very much when it comes to children. I wish that I could give you an answer that would help make your choice whether to vaccinate Sarah or not. It has to be your sole decision.

Let us know what you decide and we will support your decision.

Take care my Friend:)

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Hi…

This question came up on the thyroid forum that I participate in — about getting a tetanus booster. A couple of nurses responded that they cared for patients that died of tetanus — they said it was horrible way to die — so they were all for it. I still haven’t gotten one though.

I have a friend who is a compounding pharmacist — none of her children are going to get ANY vaccine. She said it’s the way they are administered — ie; they combine too many into one. And probably the preservatives issue is also a consideration. In order to go to school they have to get some kind of special release from a doctor. Not all doctors will do this so she had to find one that would.

The thing that I think about is that people travel so internationally now — people from countries that have these diseases more frequently than in the US can now be standing next to you in line some where…

Sheeesh… it’s so hard to know what the RIGHT thing to do is. I guess you just have to weigh YOUR specific risks — ie; where you live… exposure possiblities… That is the only thing I would know to do.

Best wishes…
      Jann

• Anonymous
      February 24, 2007 at 8:37 pm

Hi and thanks for your replies. I appreciate the honesty.

The vaccine being offered is for diptheria and tetanus. I’ve already decided that neither my daughter nor I will not get the tetanus vaccine. I’m fine as regards arguing with the school because if they don’t like it, they can do the other thing and lump it.

I’ve read some stuff on the internet about why it’s not a good idea – but it is so biased. It’s about as biased as the stuff about why it’s a good idea.

Whilst we personally have not had problems in the past with vaccines, I don’t recall getting a diptheria booter at age 13 myself, so I don’t know where this booster idea is coming from.

I’m not sure that her being the only one in the class not to get the vaccine wouldn’t in fact put her at risk amongt 2 dozen or more who have receivedit.

I feel as though I am coming down on the side of her getting the Diptheria vaccine. But wht anges me is that – I don’t really know wny!

• Anonymous
      February 26, 2007 at 6:02 pm

Hi,

I sat outside the school this morning, waiting to take in the authorisation for my lass to receive the vaccination – tetanus and all!

An aside: we live in a rural area and I dug farmyard manure into part of the garden (one of the prevalent areas to find tetanus apparently).

My Dad got tetanus

And yet – I decided, and my GP at the time felt the same, that neither I nor Sarah would receive the tetanus vaccine again. The idea is to wash wounds with disinfectant and, if symptoms occur, to seek immediate treatment.

But diptheria, would I recognise it? Probably not.

Anyway, as I sat in the car park I realised that the combined vaccination contained therma-whats-it, mercury in other words. I remembered that it is possible to get at least some vaccines without tetanus so I went down to the doctor’s surgery to ask. The vaccine administered is the school is the same as administered throughout Ireland. She didn’t seem to think it was in the diptheria vaccine but advised me to talk to those more in the know about the combined one.

While we were chatting I mentioned that I had not received a booster at age 13. Turns out that this vaccine presently being offered is a newbie (well new since I was at school).

Something else – cover from the old vaccine only lasts 10 years so I wonder just how millions of adults are not covered by diptheria vaccine – I suspect most over the age of 25. The nurse mentioned herd immunity but surely that relies on most of a herd being immunised? Are there not more adults than children on the world? If so, most of the herd probably aren’t immunisied.

Something else, I was told that this new vaccine offers cover – not for 10 years – but (as a final booster), for life. The leaflet about the vaccine didn’t mention that, nor explain how this came about.

I found this quite interesting, particuarly after Jann mentioned that you don’t who has what when you’re standing next to them. But, until now I thought people who had been immunised as a child were covered for diptheria – but, as I mentioned, they probably aren’t. So the really scary thing to me is that, you could be stood somewhere, thinking you were safe when you weren’t. Surely that is more dangerous than knowing that you are not covered?

So, weighing up the pros and cons:

PROS:
      the vaccine offers immunisation for life (whether that is also the case for the tetanus (doubtful) and the pertussis (probably spelt that wrong and don’t remember what it is) – I don’t know.

CONS
      Apart from encouraging use of the vaccine, the leaflet made no mention of the change from the old routine

the leaflet made mention of only one other thing – that the combined vaccine contained ‘a very small amount of thermisal (sp?) at 0.05 per cent. So half a percent of what is in that small tube is mercury, the second deadliest item on the planet as I recall.

It’s a 3 in one vaccine

It appears that most adults do not have immunisation against diptheria.

I am reminded of the old joke (?) about such things as the ‘bag for life’ – I wonder if, when the bag finally splits, gives off a toxin that kills yous.

And the tie for life – as the last thread snaps, it strangles you to death.

Thus the claims are proved true – they lasted your lifetime.

God bless

• Anonymous
      February 27, 2007 at 7:24 pm

Today, I said no to my lass receiving the offered vaccine.

It is scary and I scared myself.

• Anonymous
      March 6, 2007 at 1:43 pm

Hi TA, today i was reading some back issues of my medscape emails-i found one on this subject from jan 07. it stated that people who have had gbs should not get the vacc. this particular article covered the td and tdap vaccs-tetnus/diptheria and tetnus/diptheria/pertussis.
      i think you made the better decision!:)

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2007 at 8:10 pm

Thanks Cheryl

I had GBS and have no qualms about not getting the vaccine. What now intrigues me is that I have not been offered it. Yet my daughter has.

It appears that there is a new vaccine available. It offers protection from diptheria for life. It is not offered to those over the age of 14, only to those aged 13/14.

There’s been no talk, advertisement or mention of this new vaccine.

It seems that anyone over the age of 24 has no immunity to diptheria. I was told that herd immunity is what keeps us covered.

Just a minute, not only does this sound like nonsense, it’s not here I ought to be moaning but to our Health Service Executive. So, I will go and do just that. I reckon it will be a waste of time but I’ll do it anyway because I would like a sensible answer from them – and that would be refreshing.

God bless

• Anonymous
      May 4, 2007 at 9:58 pm

There is a large segment of our community (rural Georgia many farms and dairys) who do not believe in vaccinations. At our chiropractors office they have an affidavit that you can sign and give to schools that says you choose not to vaccinate your children for religious reasons which, to me means I just choose not to. They have to accept it and not challenge you in GA. My Dad had GBS/ CIDP we dont get flu shots or any other vaccines that I research and do not trust.

The ones I have given my children have been the ones that I choose and on my time table. My child was playing on the beach and found some washed-up medical waste. She opened a needle and pricked her finger with it. I rushed her to the DR he gave her a tetnus shot and I was damn thankful for it at that time. We had the needle tested and it had been in the ocean and the sun for so long that nothing was found on or in it.

One of my children had a vaccine reaction @ 6 months with projectile vomiting nonstop crying and facial swelling. From there on out i did my research and my vaccines slowly, individually, and requested ones with no preservatives, thermasol or mercury. You can also research hot lots to find which lots of vaccine have produced reactions. Today I found info on Menactra the Meningococcal vaccine causing GBS. It is a scarry topic that people need to keep on top of.

There was an outbreak of chicken pox at my childs school 2 month ago. All the kids that got had been previously vaccinated. I wanted to take my 4 year old who has not been vaccinated and expose her so she could get it and get it over with.

I sit on the fence also. The Media scares the crap out of me every flu season with stories of children suddenly dieing from the flu. Then I see all the new vaccines every year and I wonder if it is the drug companies wanting to make more money or really something helpful. Its a vicious circle for me. I know how you feel about making decisions on your daughters behalf. I struggle as well. My chiropractor says,” well if you get this or that there is treatment for it she wont die. My daughter did just fine when she got mumps. Now she’s immune. Her body is strong and can fight these things.”Then I think great cant I just get a shot and avoid it all together? It’s hard.

Do your homework, findout what treatment options would be if she got it, and go with your gut.

• Anonymous
      May 10, 2007 at 12:24 pm

I will be facing the same deal w/both my children this year. I believe I will have the vaccines for them. For myself, no way. Also I think in the diptheria vaccine there is also pertussis vaccine. Pertussis still is around, mostly due to illegal immigrants, who have not been vaccinated. Pertussis is not a good deal, it causes the epiglottis to swell, causing breathing / aspiration issues. It is a tough decision, the vaccine thing. I know I will never have my kids get flu shots, as long as they are without any health issues.

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2007 at 5:32 pm

Hi Cara,

Just so you know, it’s not just the flu vaccine that causes GBS, any vaccine can. Just be an informed parent and then make your decision. I would not tell you to not get any vaccines for your children, but after researching all childhood vaccines, it scared the you know what out of me.

All of my sons are adults now and I didn’t know a blessed thing about the dangers of vaccines when they were babies. I don’t know what I would have done in all honesty back then if I knew what I know today.