CRS-or is it just Senility or need to visit Tavern?

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Hey there, I have been noticing alot of forgetting more so now than prior to getting GBS (dx Sept 2006). Spelling, math, short term memory has been realy bad and I don’t think it is from my meds. Anyone having this problem or is it just senillity or should I just have a drink at the Tavern and not worry? ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ™‚ “Share a Smile”

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Since GBS I live in a fog and find that concentration is not as good as before GBS. I think some of that could be fatigue and some might be from no stimulation from shopping or visiting friends. I started to really get myself on a routine and that helped a little bit. That way I don’t forget to do things that are important I keep a Journal. I found that I would notice the plant was wilting or the dogs water bowl was empty but I would not two and two together to water the plant or fill the bowl. Good thing I have big dogs that will slam their foot and spin the water bowl when it is empty! That is my alarm that they noticed it was empty and I need to get moving NOW! I did tell my hubby about this right away and he is still keeping tabs on the plants, birds and water bowls. I will take that responsibility back when I am able to to do it consistantly. Right now I don’t feel I am consistant. There for awhile I had to write down each days appointments and make a grocery list. That is getting better now and I can remember the day and double check the time of the appointment. It no longer takes me several trips for a few items. I am better at planning menus too! Cooking is coming back to be a pleasure again. Hormones seem to be settling down to a regular level again too. More body functions are back to normal and very few numb places around my body. As long as I am still seeing small improvements I am still smiling! Hope things keep getting better for everyone! Can not loose anything to bring this up with your Doctor and even the Pharmacist to make sure it is not the meds you are taking.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2008 at 10:00 pm

Thanks LadyKitUSA,
      Your dogs seem to understand you very well. I think my cat does too as he sometimes just looks at me as if to say “thats ok mom I will go around you” LOL It doesn’t seem to be lack of stimuli even though most of my entertainment is mostly from my computer I do keep myself busy. Along with the lack of short term memory, I started noticing when I am standing up with my walker to stand one handed I have to focus on one thing and realy concentrate as movement around me makes me lose balance. I don’t think it is the meds but I will ask pharmacy. I had trouble with my right eye not closing while in ICU and had to have drops that made my eye feel like it crystalized but that feeling I think was while I was having morphine. I am trying to get to see a dr. for my eye. Sure glad those wicked days are over. Those nightmares still make me wonder if some was true,,,,, even though my “reality” mind knows better, it still leaves a scary feeling. The dr. I had in the nursing home isn’t worth a flip so I am trying to get one that understands GBS. I had made the mistake to think that just because he was the dr. that he knew about GBS, WRONG ! I asked him when I got out of the nursing home if he had very many patients with GBS. No. Are you familiar with GBS? no coment. Well I wish I coud afford the dr. I had when I first was dx. he was well informed. But I am on Medicaid and SSI so there is only few and far between to chose from. Thank God for this forum and people as yourself that are open and listen and try to help. Thanks again.

• Anonymous
      February 16, 2008 at 10:47 pm

I think that Lady Kitt hit the nail on the head about the brain needing excercise, too. We have been thru a LOT. It takes a toll. Do not think that a dr. inexperienced with GBS is too much of a handycap. He is probably learning with you – after all, he has to sometime. I went to visit my neuro 1 year out of my first round of GBS, with questions about my residules. I had a file-folder of stuff from the foundation, letters from others (like us) and articles I had cut or copied from every source I could find. My neuro has had several GBS patients – he is experienced. However, he looked at my file folder ans told me that I was probably better informed on the subject then he is! Only a Dr who has had this darn stuff could possibly really and truly be better.
      Keep your chin up. SIT TALL. That is something that changes your complete outlook. Meet me at the tavern.;)
      Alma
      GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2008 at 9:17 am

For what it’s worth, I too have the same issues. I am a little frustrated by this with short term memory problems and a lack of concentration. I am trying to figure it out though and wonder if I am so preoccupied with myself and what’s going on, not having all the answers, am I ever going to get better, etc. that maybe I have too much going on to think clearly. I don’t know, but will read other’s posts to see what everyone else has to say.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2008 at 12:47 pm

CK, forget about it, at least for awhile, have a drink in the tavern and feel right at home;)
      Things will improve, and in my case, will go back and forth with the relapses.
      As Kit mentioned its common. I used my dog and plants to start with, only I was the one to water them and feed them. It was just the starting point I needed to build on, unlike caring for my kids, the plants withstood mistakes well;) My hubby took care of the kids until I could trust myself enough on my own, still waiting on that at this moment, but its 95% better. Thankgoodness my kids are old enough to help themselves with the other 5%. I find I have my good days and have my bad days, just like everything else with this stuff. But it does get better. I also use sudoku, sometimes I can finish a puzzle in less than 6mins and at othertimes I just stare at the numbers and go blank. Lately the Fog has been hanging lower, sometimes happens with my flareups. Take Care.

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Oh yea ~ the brain fog ๐Ÿ˜ฎ It still hangs around me especially if I’ve pushed and gotten to tired. Then I hear Gene ~ rest, rest, rest ๐Ÿ˜€ The craziest thing for me is being able to describe the word I want to use but not being able to “find” it!!! I enjoy “Find a Word” and jigsaw puzzles. Yup, I get frustrated many times but I know that I need the exercise :p

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2008 at 8:54 pm

[SIZE=”2″][FONT=”Comic Sans MS”]This is the first I’ve heard of [SIZE=”3″]’The Fog'[/SIZE] and I thought it was just me, Hurrah, don’t have to be alone anymore!
      If I look over and see that the litter box needs emptying, I have to put on my mask and gloves [I]right then[/I] or I’ll go off and do something else, then guess what happens?
      Not a pretty picture.:eek:
      Well, let’s go over to the tavern and forget about it for awhile (pun intended)
      I’m buying!:) [/FONT][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      February 17, 2008 at 11:50 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”4″][COLOR=”Blue”]You know I saw this post yesterday and was going to reply. The only problem was that I forgot about it. I guess my mind is OTL [out to lunch][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] ๐Ÿ˜€