Couple more questions: Knees, memory and rest and teeth

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 3:04 am

Ok, sorry for all the posting around here. I have to admit that I’m addicted to internet message boards that I like. The main place I go to I’ve got almost 30k posts for petes sake. Anyway, I digress.

I’d like to start with knees. I’m not sure if any of this will make sense to anyone but me but I’ll try to be as descriptive as I can…or something like that.

I messed up my right knee pretty bad and had surgery about 11 or 12 years ago or so. Since then I’ve done some more damage to it. It’s not something that I need to have another surgery for since I’m no longer active in sports. For the past couple of months there has been a strange feeling in my knees. It feels like there is a ton of pressure right in the center. When I stand up or walk it feels as if my shin bone is going to blow through the front of my leg or my entire knee is going to explode. There isn’t really much pain per say but more of a numbish, pressure-ish almost like there is something making the joint rotate but it’s being pushed out of place. I had a similar feeling after my surgery. Anyone else having anything strange go on w/ their knees? I also almost hurt it again a moment ago when I was getting up off the couch. I guess my stabalizer muscles must be going to hell or something.

Memory: since whatever is happening to me, my short and long term memory has gone tango uniform on me. It took me about 10 min of sitting here staring at my screen trying to remember why in the world I clicked on the “new post” link. Anyone else have a broken head too?

Rest: How much is healthy? Yesterday I got none and felt ok for the most part. Perhaps it was just b/c I was busy doing other stuff than think about pain. Today I stayed home and sat by the pool all day and right now, I feel like crap.

Teeth. I brush twice a day. My diet could be better but hasn’t realy changed much in several years. Since all this stuff started my teeth have started falling apart. I thought I had chipped one but it continues to flake. A few others have begun to do this too. Obviously I need to see a dentist ASAP before these things get down to the nerves (if they are still working) but I figured I’d ask to see if anyone else had some weird occurances since they were first afflicted.

TIA in advance

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 8:56 am

hi jever,

memory – your wouldn’t be the 1st to go south.

rest – you should have as much as needed so your residuals stay at a minimum. did you get too much heat/sun [say stress to your body] at the pool?

teeth – no one that i can remember has posted a symptom like this that. remember to think outside the box. perhaps it is non-gbs related.

take care. be well.
      gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 2:31 pm

[quote=gene]hi jever,

memory – your wouldn’t be the 1st to go south.

rest – you should have as much as needed so your residuals stay at a minimum. did you get too much heat/sun [say stress to your body] at the pool?

teeth – no one that i can remember has posted a symptom like this that. remember to think outside the box. perhaps it is non-gbs related.

take care. be well.
      gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength[/quote]
      I”ve only sat in the shade by the pool. Heat, yes I got a ton of it. It’s been in the 100’s here in this part of Kalifornia and there isn’t any A/C at this house.

• November 23, 2020 at 11:28 am

I was dx in 2016 chroncic CIDP extreme progression first 2 years.
        Last 2 years lots dental / teeth issues. I have read other have had issues. I have 7 loose teeth due to CIDP. Their are good medical articles nor CIDP effects teeth.

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 7:01 pm

Hi Jever,

Ditto on the memory problem syndrome. Mine is actually finally getting better, but for awhile I thought I had lost some brain cells.

Don’t know about the knees problem or the teeth thing. Doesn’t sound
      like GBS related, but then, I’ve been surprised at how many things are.

Rest – I totally agree with Gene. Get as much as you feel you need, whenever you need it. Lots of people on this forum say that heat and humidity cause exaserbations of symptoms etc.

By the way, see what you can do about lowering the temperature out there in California. I’m going to LA in August, and understand the temperature is just south of Hell right now.

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 7:22 pm

If I do too much it catches up with me eventually. The heat does take alot out of a healthy body. Heat is usually the enemy of a GBS patient. Water temp as well as air temp. The nerves control the body temp and if they are messed up, well there is where I put the blame! On the GBS! I do get tired and have a lack of concentration. I can not stay awake for a whole movie till recently. I just don’t feel like doing alot of things so I blame the lack of stamina and not wanting to cook meals on the GBS! When I do get down on the floor on my hands and knees to play with the dog like I used to it really hurts. Also when I kneel on the bed to get across the bed to grab a pillow or the remote off the night stand it hurts right below the knee. It is like the muscle is not there to protect the shin bone. I can not lift things and hold them there for very long. I can not stand for very long either. I am able to walk but I still get tired. The muscles will take time to come back 100%. So again I blame my aching muscles on the GBS! The neck muscles were a problem for a while but now are not too bad. My head just felt too heavy for my neck to hold it up and I would put a towel or pillow on that side so it would not flop to the side. But it does not hurt to talk to the Doctor to get a second opinion besides your own! For the Dentist I would think it would take more time to see bone loss and damage to the teeth due to a poor diet while we had GBS. But I have started to make appointments with the Dentist and have the Novocaine not work. Talk about bad memory, yesterday I forgot I had a Dentist appointment in the afternoon. When they called I blamed that on the GBS!

Hmmmmm what did I blame it on before I got GBS? Oh yeah! Blonde moment! LOL

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 10:33 pm

[quote=Suzanne]Hi Jever,

Ditto on the memory problem syndrome. Mine is actually finally getting better, but for awhile I thought I had lost some brain cells.

Don’t know about the knees problem or the teeth thing. Doesn’t sound
      like GBS related, but then, I’ve been surprised at how many things are.

Rest – I totally agree with Gene. Get as much as you feel you need, whenever you need it. Lots of people on this forum say that heat and humidity cause exaserbations of symptoms etc.

[B]By the way, see what you can do about lowering the temperature out there in California. I’m going to LA in August, and understand the temperature is just south of Hell right now.[/B][/quote]
      Unfortunately I can’t help you there. You see, I came out here from Kansas. The weather in the midwest is positively a$$tastic. Now that I’m here, currently in Moorpark (1hr westish of LA) we’ve been 100+ for the past few days and the last 20 have been at least 90+. This is horse$h!7!!! Even San Diego is seeing record temps.

We’re supposed to get a break starting this weekend. Where in LA are you going? LA proper or LA county? some of the suburbs of LA city have been getting nailed. I have a friend in Glendale and he doesn’t have AC and said it was over 110 in his apartment.

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 11:00 pm

Jever,

I’ll be visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Venice Beach, and son-in-laws’ parents in Brentwood (in the valley), and my brother-in-law in Burbank, so I’ll get a fine sampling of whatever S. Calif. weather has to offer soon.

I hear Brentwood has been getting triple digits. We’re having a baby shower for my daughter there. If it doesn’t cool off, I think I’ll suggest having the baby shower in her in-law’s swimming pool! The things we’ll do for our kids!

Whenever I’ve been to S. Calif. before this, I got spoiled with the perfect weather.

Meanwhile, I hope you guys get some relief this weekend at least.

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2006 at 11:27 pm

jever, you might keep an eye on your hamstrings. i have had all kinds of knee problems, surgeries and so forth, also. that weird feeling in your knee is probably a fluid buildup. be careful and try to see an ortho when you can. i am going thru that feeling right now too, my pcp says i have to go to an ortho to see if they will consider knee replacement, and for a more immediate remedy have the knee stuck with a large needle to drain off the fluid. my left knee, the one where i got gbs in last year at this time, is soo swollen it looks like 2 knees in one. my helliversary is aug 3rd, its actually been a year since i had my surgery that got infected.
      i had cracking teeth when i was pregnant, with the babies taking all my calcium from my body because i was vomiting all nine months for both kids. since i wasn’t replacing the calcium and minerals because of the continuos throwing up, my teeth were taking the brunt of the damage. now they are doing good, it did take a few months to get them straightened out again, even lost 1. take it easy and get to a dentist.

the memory will come back or get back to your normal after awhile. if you had it before then you’ll get it back, might be slow but it will come back. treat yourself like a kid learning in school-take things slow and test yourself often. i do sudoku puzzles-slowly sometimes, but i’m getting better at them. take care and stay cool:cool:

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 1:50 am

[quote=Suzanne]Jever,

I’ll be visiting my daughter and son-in-law in Venice Beach, and son-in-laws’ parents in Brentwood (in the valley), and my brother-in-law in Burbank, so I’ll get a fine sampling of whatever S. Calif. weather has to offer soon.

I hear Brentwood has been getting triple digits. We’re having a baby shower for my daughter there. If it doesn’t cool off, I think I’ll suggest having the baby shower in her in-law’s swimming pool! The things we’ll do for our kids!

Whenever I’ve been to S. Calif. before this, I got spoiled with the perfect weather.

Meanwhile, I hope you guys get some relief this weekend at least.[/quote]
      Brentwood and Burbank have been getting killed. There was a 25 acre fire just north of Beverly Hills a day or so ago. Woodland Hills and pretty much everywhere around LA has been baking. I overheard a lady when I was in the hospital who had just came in (I was in Ventura) from Ojai and it was 118 according to her cars thermometer.

I was at Venice Beach over the past weekend and found the weather to be tolerable. Coming from Kansas, the weather here is wonderful. At VB it was about 85 and mildly humid. The locals were all complaining. I just kind of chuckled to myself. On Monday I was in Ventura and stopped at this neat little fish place right on the water and this lady next to me commented about how unbearable things were. The car thermometer read 83. I should have had asked her if she would like some cheese with her whine.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 2:04 am

[quote=angel2ndclass22699]jever, you might keep an eye on your hamstrings. i have had all kinds of knee problems, surgeries and so forth, also. that weird feeling in your knee is probably a fluid buildup. be careful and try to see an ortho when you can. i am going thru that feeling right now too, my pcp says i have to go to an ortho to see if they will consider knee replacement, and for a more immediate remedy have the knee stuck with a large needle to drain off the fluid. my left knee, the one where i got gbs in last year at this time, is soo swollen it looks like 2 knees in one. my helliversary is aug 3rd, its actually been a year since i had my surgery that got infected.
      i had cracking teeth when i was pregnant, with the babies taking all my calcium from my body because i was vomiting all nine months for both kids. since i wasn’t replacing the calcium and minerals because of the continuos throwing up, my teeth were taking the brunt of the damage. now they are doing good, it did take a few months to get them straightened out again, even lost 1. take it easy and get to a dentist.

the memory will come back or get back to your normal after awhile. if you had it before then you’ll get it back, might be slow but it will come back. treat yourself like a kid learning in school-take things slow and test yourself often. i do sudoku puzzles-slowly sometimes, but i’m getting better at them. take care and stay cool:cool:[/quote]

I was thinking that I was getting a fluid build up but was hoping not. I’ve heard it isn’t fun having them drained. I had a couploe cortisone injections prior to surgery and that was something that willl never happen again. One thing I’ve found that helps me out is that if I find a couch or something soft like a bed or padded bench, if I kneel on it and rock forward and back while trying to put weight down then they will pop and then I’m good to go for a while. Most every joint in my body pops though so I don’t recommend that one makes something pop that otherwise doesn’t.

My hams have always been weak. Even when I was a competitive athlete I hated working hams. My quads were huge though. That’s pretty much how I started developing knee problems. Since this stuff all began for me I actually noticed my quads and my calves getting smaller and smaller. Right now my legs are pretty weak. Standing up can be a chore. Walking can be ok although my right leg tires quickly because it’s doing most of the work for my left. Stairs and ramps are a killer though. I take stairs like I did after knee surgery. One step at a time. One foot down then the next and then on to the next step. I tried a wheelchair ramp once and felt like I climbed Mt. Everest!

The other weekend I went down to Santa Monica to try and cool off as it was so hot here in Moorpark. At the beach we went to there was a fairly steep sidewalk to negotiate in order to get to the sand. Although it was maybe 10 meters long I wasn’t sure if my knees were going to hold up long enough for me to get down. After walking about 100 meters to some rocks to rest on I was pretty sure I was going to be stuck there forever. lol

I totally forgot about calcium. I can’t drink milk so I’m always low on that I think. Usually I eat a lot of cheese (I know, great for the arteries but I love it too much to give it up.) I’ll pick up some calcium from the store after my job interview tomorrow morning and start taking them ASAP. Thanks for reminding me of that stuff.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 2:12 am

I noticed a long time ago that my teeth have been affected. My gums have noticably improved in just the last year. How easily we forget that our nerves send messages to everything! And each of our nerve damage is unique to us. I had a very sick gallbladder removed ~ no stones, but it was ugly inside, working at less than 4%. And to this day, I still have pain in the surrounding area because of nerve damage. The docs can find no other explanation. So, I say ~ don’t be surprised at anything !!:eek:

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2006 at 2:32 am

[quote=Judi Z]I noticed a long time ago that my teeth have been affected. My gums have noticably improved in just the last year. How easily we forget that our nerves send messages to everything! And each of our nerve damage is unique to us. I had a very sick gallbladder removed ~ no stones, but it was ugly inside, working at less than 4%. And to this day, I still have pain in the surrounding area because of nerve damage. The docs can find no other explanation. So, I say ~ don’t be surprised at anything !!:eek:[/quote]
      It’s odd that you mentioned your gums. Before this all began, whatever it is that’s wrong with me, my gums were fine. Every now and again they would bleed a little but I figured it was the new brush or pressing too hard or something. Almost immediately after my face started to tingle my gums started to receed. Right now it looks like one of my teeth, the one that’s chipped or whatever, is going to fall out or something. I’m not a vain person by any stretch of the word however having a tooth decay and fall out of my mouth would make me feel, dare I say, like a hobo or something.

Since we all are affected with this differently and it’s easy to blame other things on the Syndrome, I wonder how my creditors will take “sorry, the meds made me forget to pay you” as an excuse? 😉 😀