?Connection between spleen and GBS?

• Anonymous
      January 19, 2009 at 1:19 pm

For some months I have had discomfort in my left upper abdoman under my ribs. First was thought to be a pulled muscle. Back to doc last week. Not actually pain just discomfort and sometimes feels like a belt around my waist. I am going for a CT scan this week. I suspect he is looking for an enlarged spleen. Since the spleen deals with the immune system I’m concerned that this may have had something to do with my GBS to begin with. Since I had GBS I have not been sick since, not even a sore throat. It’s like my immune system has kicked into high gear. Anyone dealing with spleen problems? My onset was 6/28/02.

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2009 at 2:01 am

I am sorry I have not had any problems with my spleen that I know of. I do have the pain you describe. and was given a scope and found out my gastritis and ulcers. you will have to let us know what you find out I am intrested to see. Good luck

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2009 at 11:34 am

Hi Mari, Yes actually I have had a problem in the same area that you described for the last 4 months. I have had abd cts done and they first told me I had a mass, then the last ct they came back with a collapsed stomach. I disagree with their findings since I have not had problems with my stomach during this time-normal eating habits and such. The only thing that involves the stomach is the nausea. I can push on a certain area at the spleen location and it does cause the same pain and nausea that comes on its own. Next month I will have my dr address this problem, if I can take it that long, otherwise it will be a little earlier. I hope you can get some answers to your problems sooner then I can. Please keep us updated. Take care.

• Anonymous
      January 20, 2009 at 7:40 pm

I Too Haved This Feeling Especially When I Bend Forward. I Just Thought It Was Nerves. It Does Feel Like A Belt. I Think I’ll Tell My Doctor. Thanks For Your Posting.

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Thanks for your replies. This is what I have found out so far: The CT scan showed a cyst on my right ovary. Why the right and not the left where the annoyance is I don’t know. Anyway I go for a pelvic ultrasound Wed. Have to drink four 12 oz. glasses of liquid. This is going to be a problem as when I gotta go I gotta go!! Guess I better eat a lot of salty stuff beforehand. And only drink warm liquid! Laying down with a full bladder for me is asking for trouble. Any suggestions? The barium for the CT scan caused loose stools and I barely got home without a big problem there. Thank goodness I’m only a block from the hospital! Will return with more after my ultrasound.

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Hello Mari,

This has been discussed a few times before on these discussion boards. Here is what I wrote back in ’06.

[COLOR=”Blue”]I have been dealing with this tight belt feeling for a very long time (20 years). It is just below my rib cage and has a tendency to come and go. I asked my doctors about this feeling when I first noticed it and they informed me that, indeed, it is a residual of GBS.[/COLOR]

Go to the thread called “Odd recovery side-effects” for other explanations for this feeling.

Hope this helps…

Jim

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Good to know, Jim! I have been having that problem also. They cannot find anything wrong, but it is really annoying to have that tight feeling.

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Hi Jim,
      Thanks for the information. How do I find the thread “Odd recovery side effects”? I’m not familiar with how to go about this. Thanks.
      Mari

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2009 at 8:04 am

Here is how I just did it…

Look for “Search” on the tool bar at the top of the page and click on it. Then copy and paste “Odd recovery side-effects” into the space and then hit “GO”. You will get a list of threads. Look for the thread “Odd recovery side-effects” and click on it.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone will know an easier way to find it.

Jim

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2009 at 12:15 pm

My neighbor had his spleen taken out about two years before he died. He had CIDP and was taking alot of predisone and they said that is what ruined his spleen. I hope you don’t have to have surgery for anything. Dealing with GBS is enough on it own, without other problems that may require surgery. I had the belt type feeling really bad for about the first year after I was home from the hospital. It still is noticeable sometimes. I mentioned it to the Dr. a few times and he acted like I didn’t even say anything. Can you believe it; that they will just shrudge something off when they don’t want to talk about it ? I know it sounds like a question, but it really is a statment. lol 🙂 I never bothered to mention it to him again. 🙁 Let us know what goes.

Drummer

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks Jim, I did find the thread. Sure wasn’t aware others had the belt tightening thing going on also.

I had the ultrasound done yesterday. Thank heavens they came for me 15 minutes earlier than expected. I did manage to hold that 48 oz of water til afterwards. Barely! Won’t hear anything for a few days. Meantime I got the lab test and CT scan results. I have a fairly prominent right ovarian cyst, moderate diverticulosis and “scattered nonspecific interstitial changes at lung base.” Had to look up that word and means scaring. Spleen wasn’t mentioned but I have some cystic changes in the right kidney and some fatty infiltration of the pancreas. None of this has me real worried at the moment. At 68 years old I’m sure they will turn over every stone to find something to test for. Am sure the next stop will be the OB/GYN. Will come back when I learn more.

Mari

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Mari, you sound like me! I had a right cyst that turned out to be a tumor and the ovary had immature cancer cells all through it and the cyst/tumor. I had a total hyst within 3 weeks of finding the cyst/tumor. My Prayers are with you that this turns out to be a simple problem, with an easy solution. Take care.

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2009 at 12:43 am

Thanks Cherl for the prayers. I haven’t gotten too excited about any of this yet. Whatever it is I’ll just deal with it. I haven’t had so much as a cold in the 6 1/2 years since I got GBS so maybe I’m due for something. Hope its something simple

Mari

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2009 at 5:51 am

Hi Mari ~ I don’t know about the spleen but I lost my gallbladder to GBS. I had a “study” done and discovered it was working at less than 14%. So, I had the surgery and it all went well, much to my relief. I got a copy of the pictures of the inside of it and it was [U]ugly[/U] 😮 It looked like a smashed slug that’s been salted and yucky colors thru out. The only explanation was GBS. My surgeon was really surprised! I wonder how much longer before gangrene would have set in . . .

Since our nerves are the communication system for our body and many of them are “on the fritz” damage to any organ is possible. I still get the tight band feeling where my gallbladder was. Sometimes the pain is so great that I can’t breathe until the “tight twisting” lets go 🙁

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Hi Mari, sounds like the CT scan showed up a problem but I asked my daughter today who is an MD about a possible connection between spleen and GBS. For what it’s worth, she thinks this is very unlikely because nerves are only on the outside covering the spleen. She is not a neurologist, though – unfortunately for me:eek: