Comprehensive notes from 40 yr old male in NYC, dx 2001

• January 16, 2017 at 12:10 pm

I was on this forum years ago but thought I would re-activate. Interested in trading notes on therapies/diet/trends/exercise etc. My story:
      – CIDP, recurring but slow progression, since 2001
      – 40 yrs old, male, living in Manhattan
      – Diagnosed after a trip to Brazil. I got vaccinations but separately also got a very bad traveler’s bug on the trip (likely from water), perhaps Giardia. I progressed very quickly, from zero symptoms to having a hard time walking within 2 months time. Had nerve conduction studies and spinal tap to confirm dx.
      – Currently receive 140 grams of IVIG over 2 days every month, over about 4 hours each session, max rate about 200. Was on prednisone for a short while but the side effects seem not worth it for me.
      – I used to get raging headaches lasting about 30 hours, now they are mild and not incapacitating, read below. At first it was 3 days after first day of infusion. Later it was 5-7 days after first day of infusion. The main way for me to avoid is DRINK LITERS OF WATER. I will drink close to 5 liters of water in 4 hour session, but it does wonders. The rate also matters, I can go up to 160 without much trouble, 200 is pushing it but I can manage if I am doing the water thing.
      – I used to take alpha lipoic acid, colostrum, fish oils, etc…can’t hurt but I didn’t see significant difference.
      – Biggest factor affecting the progression is stress. Try to keep it down.

I’ll add more to this post later on exercise, etc. Very interested in diet discussions.

• jk
      January 17, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Welcome back to the forum. You mention – ‘CIDP, recurring but slow progression, since 2001.’ Is the condition still progressing now? and, with that much IVIG? Might be time to try something else.

I am unaware of any diet that is particularly helpful. I also took alpha lipoic acid, ALA, and fish oil. My anecdotal (reports or observations of usually unscientific observers) observation is that the combination of all the things I was doing at that time helped alleviate the sensory symptoms I was having . No, I was not on IVIG then.

• January 17, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Thanks jk. I actually am pretty steady, just have needed more frequent treatments over last 15 years. IVIG works great for me.