cold weather or warm weather?

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2009 at 9:50 pm

which bothers you more, cold weather or warm weather? it’s been 4 years since I had a very severe case of gbs and the cold weather still bothers me sooo bad; i seem to do much better in warmer weather; anyone else want to share their experience? thanks

• August 19, 2009 at 9:59 pm

I’m 3 years post GBS and I vote cold weather, although I have to keep checking my feet as they never regained their thermometers back, so they could frost bite and I would never know it. I have to add that I’m 70 pounds overweight, so I sweat a lot in the summer, which is why I do better when its cool.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2009 at 4:26 am

I just last month sat down with my doctor and we discussed how much better I seem to do in warm weather than cold. I suffer with cold weather depression due to the pain I am in. Also I seem to have more energy in warm weather. We have discussed getting a sun lamp for me in the winter time but as of yet I have not done it. We decided to hold off on any medicine changes until winter because I am doing OK right now. Hope this helps in some way. Always in my prayers anyone and all who are suffering with CIDP.

Susan

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I am only about three months after severe GBS, and was released from the air conditioned hospital on the hottest day on record here! My feet puffed up like a couple of blow fish. Extreme heat made the whole family uncomfortable, so I wrote off my issues untill the heat wave passed. As I haven’t gone through the winter yet, I don’t know if the cold will be a problem. It already feels like my feet are so cold they hurt. I often have to touch them to realize they are normal tempurature. I think that as a “new” sufferrer I will be more aware of my body and how it reacts to the weather.

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Ronda and all so far,

Rethink your plans to move to Phoenix, Arizona. I am very much worse in the heat! Do hot baths or hot tubs make you feel better or worse?

I’m post 7 1/2 years, panalyzed to the chest with the usual residuals. After being in the heat of the summer I need to take a cold bath or put cold packs between my legs to cool the blood to my legs and feet. Fatigue is a big problem for me as well.

Take the rest of the day off,

Rob

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2009 at 8:16 am

I guess I’m opposite from everyone else…….I feel and do best now in the colder weather while hot and especially humid weather just kills me

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Cold weather. Heat and humidity seem to exacerbate my problems.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2012 at 4:49 am

i prefer warm weather coz i normally feel cold in summer especially in rainy season too so when its winter its hard for me to cope up with the cold weather ,,,i have to attend my class at
      http://www.ittrainingnepal.com in the morning and in the winter its so difficult for me to get up at 6 am ,,also during the whole winter i wish for the summer days so i hate winter

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2012 at 9:36 am

After the past two horrible summers in Oklahoma, I am definitely a winter person. My feet have stayed swollen all summer long and I get fatigued very fast. My feet do get painfully cold at night but putting them under a heating pad seems to work well. Stepped outside this early morning after a cool front came through and the weather is perfect at this moment with 68 degrees and clear skies. Now i see why CA and FL are places for moderate weather and that is why it costs so much to live there.  I pray winter will be mild…

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I am an avid runner/biker/hiker recovering from GBS diagnosed January 2012.  I have some residual weakness but my stamina is improving.  I can run slowly for over a mile without stopping now, after 34weeks.  Heat helps a lot.  Because of the residual weakness, my joints aren’t completely stable which causes knee, hip, and ankle pain.  Loosening up in hot weather takes away the joint pains.  I also have severe back pains (like someone hit me across the back with a baseball bat, or maybe a shovel) and these muscular pains are taken away by heat.  Using a SPA at 104 degrees in Myrtle Beach I was able to quit Ibuprofen completely for five days!  Now I am up north and the shovel has whacked me in the back again.  I take 1600 mg or more Ibuprofen daily but hope to quit in due time.

cold weather or warm weather?

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2009 at 9:48 pm

which bothers you more, cold weather or warm weather? it’s been 4 years since I had a very severe case of gbs and the cold weather still bothers me sooo bad; i seem to do much better in warmer weather; anyone else want to share their experience? thanks

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I’d say the cold is worse for me. My biggest problem is I can’t tell if my feet are cold or not so I have to be very careful to dress warmly. But then again I’m a warm weather person to begin with so it may have nothing to do with the GBS. Ha ha.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2009 at 10:37 pm

The cold weather bothers me more, because my feet really tingle and hurt a lot then, and it doesn’t stop for me till summer comes; judging from the last 2years of this. My heels are burning all the time now that it’s autumn, and it’s really hard to get my feet warmed up enough to stop the cold and the pain. And I’m talking about being indoors, not outdoors which is worse. It helps if I can take my mind off it somehow. I have a tendancy to not be able to tell when my feet are getting frostbite, with the GBS, so have to be very careful to wear warm socks, warm boots and keep checking my toes with my hands to be sure they are warm enough. Oh well, just common sense, eh? 😉

The worst is if my shoes get a bit wet, and the weather is cold; then my feet chill right away, and my legs get chills and tingling too. And then it’s a few days of that burning foot-pain that was so terrible when I first got GBS. But it’s really not as bad as that time…as we all know…we’re getting better, and we’re making improvements.
      Stay warm, everyone! 🙂

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I am a middle of the roader. The hot weather (anything much over 90) really takes it out of me and I get tired faster. If it gets too cold, my hands and feet never seem to stay warm enough and I am constantly chilled. The worst temps are the upper 40’s and lower 50’s. When it gets a lot colder than that I wear gloves and extra layers.

The middle temps are just great for me. I just can’t keep them around all of the time !!

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2011 at 8:01 am

Cold is much worse for me all around! When I’m in Florida or in the summer, I feel A LOT better!:p

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2011 at 12:15 am

[QUOTE=Melissa1975]Cold is much worse for me all around! When I’m in Florida or in the summer, I feel A LOT better!:p[/QUOTE]

For me, either extreme cold or extreme heat get me.

I actually healed completely from my GBS, except for a nerve-damage/nerve-regrowing issue around my knees.

During the humid/muggy summers here in Minnesota, the knees get really hot, and then start to get red/inflammed. Icing them does absolute wonders for me with that.

Yet, during the very cold winters here, the cold “gets” to them as well, (which is weird, since I generally ice them to help take away the pain).

I am very happy when the temps are 50-70 degrees 🙂

• Anonymous
      May 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Hello everyone ,

I have CIDP … and hot and cold weather bothers me , in the summer I feel very tiered and my breathing gets harder as it is too humid here , thats keeping me indoors with A/C , summer 2009 I had a severe relaps with the worst double vision I have experienced so far , my 1/2 side (right) tongue was numb and weak , had some difficulty cheewing and swallowing .. . that happened 2 weeks after my IVIG (3 days) and had to do 4 days of SOLLUMEDROL also to manage to get around from that !!!
      The cold weather is more pain and when hands are cold …I can’t do anything .. can’t use the pen or pc mobile phone etc .
      we have very hot summers here so after my last bad relapse I avoid going out during the hot hours !! its either early morning hours or late afternoon and nights .
      Wishing all all the best !!