CIDP and Statins

• January 4, 2021 at 10:27 am

Does anyone have any information or guidance on the effect of statins (such as Crestor) on CIDP?

Several years ago a previous neurologist advised me against taking statins. He put it this way: “You have a demyelinating disease, and your body is constantly trying to replenish the myelin that is being lost. Don’t you know what the body makes myelin from? It manufactures it from cholesterol. So why would you want to drive the cholesterol down to low levels?”

Now, my cardiologist is urging me to take a statin because my cholesterol is borderline (190). My current neurologist says there is no clear-cut evidence that statins are bad or good in regards to CIDP. I have started taking the statin, but would be willing to take the risk of heart problems if I thought it would make my CIDP worse.

• January 4, 2021 at 4:46 pm

The following studies seem inexact regarding the effect of statins on CIDP. The studies suggest a low risk to CIDP patients from taking statins and none mention any reduction in myelin regeneration. But those of us with CIDP vary in symptoms and often react differently to medicines, treatments, and/or dosages.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29765578

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-statins-produce-neurological-effects

In the analysis of 135 previous studies, which included nearly 250,000 people combined, researchers found that the drugs simvastatin (Zocor) and pravastatin (Pravachol) had the fewest side effects of statin medications. They also found that lower doses produced fewer side effects in general.

I take 10MG of Lipitor (a statin) daily without any side effects. I also take Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin 5000MCG) daily to help promote myelin regrowth.

Our brains have a natural ability to regenerate myelin. This repair involves special myelin-making cells in the brain called oligodendrocytes. These cells are made from a type of stem cell found in our brains, called oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs). But as we age, this regeneration happens less.

Tagged: