CIDP and pregnant

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Hi all,
      I usually do not post anything, but this forum was a huge help when I was first diagnosed. Just wanted to share my story for anyone else out there.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago with CIDP, at the time I was 23 years old. I was hospitalized and put on IVIG. Since then I started having infusions every 6 weeks, till I started cyclosporine (an immuno supresent) and after that I was able to spread out the infusions to every 12 weeks. With the exceptions of having to have the infusions and the side effects of them I have been doing extremly well! I was always worried about what would happen when I wanted to start a family and unfourtunatly there is no way anyone could let me know. Also, there is not much out there about CIDP and pregnancy. So I wanted to put out there my experiance.

I am currently 27 years old and 18 weeks pregnant. I have been doing GREAT, off all meds!! I have not had to have an infusion for 16 weeks and besides some tingling no other symptoms like I usually have (with the exception of morning sickness)! According to the doctors (neuorologist and high risk ob) I can still have an IVIG infusion whenever I fell I need it. They just wanted me to try and make it out of the first trimester before getting one. The high risk ob says there is no reason I should not have a perfectly normal pregnancy, but they will still keep and eye on me. They did say that after giving birth I may have a bad relapse, but we will deal with that then.

I know that this disease is fickle and all our stories are unique, but I hope mine may ease some worry in some young woman diagnosed worried about not being able to start a family. I will continue to update on how the rest of the pregnancy and after baby is born.

Thanks everyone on this site for sharing your stories, and helping me when I needed it.

Stupid pregnancy hormones almost crying while writting this 🙂

• December 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm

what a nice post 🙂 It’s good to hear good news on this forum. congratulations on your pregnancy.

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Congrats! Looking forward to reading your updates. Any baby names decided? We had our 3rd child in 94, and at the time I was very messed up with CIDP. We were concerned of the childs health and future. Well a mear 17+ years later my son is brighter than me, equal to him mom, and shows no signs of CIDP. I agree with the medical society, CIDP is not heridatry

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

We met a lady at the children’s hospital where my daughter gets cidp tx and she was trying to get pregnant in her early 40’s. She had tried everything. I asked her if my husband could pray over her to get pregnant as he has done this before with success. (God’s power) She said yes and we did pray. She became pregnant and they immediatly put her on ivig for some reason. She received tx during her whole pregnancy and has a 6 month old daughter who is just fine. Not sure of the significance of the ivig. I would love my 5 yr daughter to grow up and be a mommy, wife and doctor!

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Tarabelle congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you and baby stay well.
      Laurel

• December 6, 2011 at 1:22 am

It is so nice to see good news here. You have me smiling! Try and relax and trust that everything will be ok!

• December 6, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Keep us posted that is awesome news. This is the place to share so many people need to see that life goes on after GBS/CIDP.

Congrats

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Congratulations!

I’ve read that CIDP symptoms go away during pregnancy but they may come back pretty soon after delivery. It sounds like your dr’s are aware of this & that is very good! Just make sure to remind them to have some IVIG ordered & waiting, in case you need it.

You should be going for your “big ultrasound” soon. Will you find out the sex of the baby?

Kelly