CIDP and exercise ?

• Anonymous
      June 27, 2013 at 5:50 am

My CIDP is mild to moderate and all symptoms are located in lower extremities. After several treatments with IVIg I was feeling much better. So decided to do some light exercise for upper body. Did weights that I could handle well, for 2 days, resting one in between. They after second exercise session my legs started twitching heavily, felt very tired, moderate to severe pain in my calves and all the other usual symptoms I get. Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with light exercise, when using muscles that are not affected. Was also wondering about the relation between exercise and exacerbating our immune system? I don’t think there’s any.

• GH
      June 27, 2013 at 4:31 pm

It is important to find the right balance of exercise and rest. You need exercise to rebuild strength, but must be careful not to overexert yourself because doing so can lead to setbacks. I don’t think it’s a matter of “exacerbating our immune system” directly, but just of preserving the strength your body needs to fight the disease. Exhaustion is contrary to that. I don’t know the biochemistry of it, but I know that recovery cannot be sped up by overwork. Your regimen seems reasonable to me.

I wouldn’t worry much about twitching, pain, and tiredness otherwise. These symptoms just come with the territory. The key indicator you need to monitor is muscle strength. Persistent loss of strength is a sign of relapse, but ordinary tiredness is not.

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2013 at 6:19 am

GH:
      Thanks so much for our response. Makes me think I should go back with a very mild routine.

• Anonymous
      June 28, 2013 at 12:53 pm

HI rick good to see you again.. Hope you fine now and your decision is absolutely right that you should have to move back towards your mild routine.

http://www.picnicbasket.net

• Anonymous
      July 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Hi –
      Other than CIDP I have always had excellent health. As a 20 year veteran of 10k running (forced in 2013 to slow down 20% and reduced the run length to 8.5k due to the breathing issue) I am very aware of changes happening to by body, and certainly did not expect to experience CIDP symptoms. But I have June 8, 2013 tried and cannot run a 10k at my normal pace and indeed even a very slow 8.5k is problematic. My breathing under normal circumstances is perfect – running a 10k with ease (NO elevated breathing necessary)!!

I do maintain that exercise may be the best treatment for my CIDP. I also do daily stretching to alleviate cramping and have an excellent diet. My diet is gluten free and this has alleviated my CIDP-induced digestive discomfort. I do not take drugs (other than IVIG) or vitamins. I avoid any exposure to chemicals especially those at home including perfumes.
      I am taking a new round of IVIG and decided to track the results on my own website CIDPlog.com
      Editor CIDPlog
      CIDPlog.com Home

• Anonymous
      December 14, 2013 at 8:21 am

Hi Rick,
      I had a similar experience when I started in the gym. Felt very stiff and sore for about a week after 1 light gym session ( Have CIPD now for 4 years)
      Swimming was more beneficial for me as it was easier on the joints and muscles.
      On vacation, just started threading water every day in the pool. My legs starting feeling slightly more “solid” over the week.
      Then I started doing laps. I kept it up after vacation and started attending the local pool and managed to swim for about 30 mins non stop ( very slow pace though).

After I got a level of fitness in the pool I then went back to the gym and found the swimming has improved core strength and leg muscles where I could work out and not be greatly affected after it.
      I find the best exercise are squats and bike. If you get to stage where you can do either of these it may improve and keep leg strength.
      Also, I changed my diet to include more fish, less red meat, more veggies, garlic and onions and loads of green tea. It helped a lot.

All the best,
      Patrick