Choosing Insurance Plan

• July 19, 2019 at 5:35 pm

Hello! Seeking advice…friend with CIDP on a deadline to purchase insurance plan before his enrollment period expires. Any advice? Any mistakes you’ve made or things you’ve learned along the way? State is Maryland if that impacts it at all, and treatment is IVIG.

Thanks!!

• July 19, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I would begin by contacting doctor’s office personnel or billing Dept. They should be knowledgeable about different types of GBS/CIDP treatment covered by insurance companies, percentage covered, patient copays, yearly maximum paid, etc., to your doctor.
      Then I would contact insurance companies and ask to see
      coverage in print.

• July 19, 2019 at 9:27 pm

Also, prior to my first infusion, I checked with the infusion center regarding any costs to me. The center said it was paid in full by Medicare & Horizon BCBS. So when I received a small bill from the infusion center, I called and they canceled the bill.
      I take IVIG premedication at home, saving time for premedication to take affect and saving insurance company some $. I don’t drive on treatment days.

• July 23, 2019 at 6:49 am

Thank you EllenW! I’m considering asking for that in writing too, the out of pocket responsibility.

• July 23, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Agreed that Dr office may have input on plans that are more CIDP friendly.

Insurance medical policies can vary greatly from plan to plan even though in the same state. Im talking more in terms of treatment coverage…ivig, ivig at home, plex, immunosuppressants, etc… than monthly premiums, copays and coinsurance which we know can differ greatly too.

Between Drs office and plan medical policies which are usually posted online, hopefully you can make some good decisions.

You dont mention Medicare but that can have an impact as well.