chemo induced neuropathy

• June 8, 2011 at 11:32 am

talk about understanding this disease…..as i am sitting here getting my ivig (people getting chemo walk by me to get to their area) I have noticed the last 3 out of 5 people who have walked by me have the “neuropathy gait” (that i have come to easily recognize) how strange is it–that the same thing I am here to treat is being done to them by their chemo??? do you think they realize the consequences of the nerve damage from their chemo and how it can progrss–will they be in treatment for the neuropathy once done with the chemo for cancer??? Why do chemo drugs work on us to cure neuroathy and cause it for others?? LOL—can you tell I get real bored during ivig and think too much!!! Lori

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Yes, and while you are sitting there getting infused with nothing to do but think and eat chocolate chip cookies, why heck, ask some of them about it. I have.

Likely they will answer you with a ‘blank’ look and then ask you, “What are you talking about? Nobody ever mentioned that.”

I learned, almost immediately, to not bring this subject up to the patients at the Cancer Center I go to for infusions.

For some Cancer patients’ input on this subject see the Cancer Survivors Network (CSN) web page at:

[url]http://csn.cancer.org/node/169984[/url]

I have an acquaintance with serious neurological issues popping up about 30 years after his radiation treatments…..

ok ok the dates on the web page are 2009. so? Does it change the data in some meaningful way?

Look in the upper right hand corner for ‘Not a member? [U]click here to search public areas[/U]’ and search for whatever you like.

You may find some other threads with newer dates and what they are using to relieve their neurological pain.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2011 at 9:48 pm

w/Cancer. The docs I spoke with were unaware about CIDP, or IVIG or neuopathies in general other than some chemos could cause it. End of their knowledge and discussions. Essentially they felt nothing could be done for such neuropathies.
      I have encountered many other cancer patients who suffer as you do. It’s almost ironic that my ‘neuropathy’ later determined to be CIDP preceded my actual cancer detection and diagnosis by that 18 months.
      I was never tested for cancers during my CIDP diagnosis. Not one cancer physician thought of it, even tho I’ve a well-documented family history of many different cancers. Ultimately? The cancer was ‘found’ 18 months after my CIDP onset.. The cancer could have been present and not detectable for 5-7 years prior to it’s being found. I’ll suppose in a way? That, getting the CIDP diagnosed and treated before the cancer was ‘found’ is a blessing in many ways. Had the CIDP presented itself after cancer diagnosis? I too could be ‘written off’ with a mere PN. By the way-it’s called ‘paraneoplastic cancers’ and ‘paraneoplastic neuropathies’. Good treatments and good supplementations can help you and your system get back in a balance and help you heal to a degree. Just be aware that nerve regrowth is a very sloow process. Good luck and bless you for your long road ahead? I’m almost done with mine? Five years out sooon! WHEW!
      Yeuhan – Thanks for that link! You amaze me with your energy and curiousity!
      I’ll check it out!
      I for one? Am just grateful that I can get outta bed and around modestly on my own steam! You have to do it or lose the ability to do so. Hugs all!

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2011 at 12:11 am

I know someone with a son who was dx’d with ALL (leukemia) when he was 5 years old. He developed neuropathy from his chemo & the dr’s admitted him into the hospital & skipped a chemo treatment until his neuropathy symptoms disappeared.

Maybe it’s different for kids than for adults?

Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2011 at 1:42 am

Chemotherapy is a bit like hunting rabbits with nuclear weapons: sure, you kill the rabbit, but… The main reason chemotherapy works, as I understand it, is that cancer cells have a higher metabolism than other cells. This higher metabolism means that they consume the chemotherapy drug in a higher amount than do normal cells. This increased amount kills the cancer cells more quickly than the normal cells. But note, normal cells are still killed.

Don’t forget, chemotherapy drugs are among the nastiest of drugs. Indeed, most chemotherapy drugs are carcinogens. You just hope that your cancer is controlled quickly enough to limit your exposure and that you got cancer late enough so that the latency period for the cancer caused by the drug is longer than your lifetime. Grim, I know.

~MarkEns

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm

My best friend was shocked at the neuropathy that came with her chemo! Several times she said “I truly didn’t know what you were living with – but now I get it!”. Probably the best question to be asked “is the cure worse than the kill??” If so, how can the word “cure” be used? You just exchange one problem for how many others! 😮

• June 9, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I dont have cancer—I have chronic inflammatory neuropathy with an indentified potassium antibody—no cancer. But where i go for my ivig for this, there are people there having chemo for cancer. They all pass by where i am getting my ivig to get to their section–thats why i noticed the neuropathy gait on a lot of them. I would love to be able to socialize with them yuehen—but the areas are all sectioned off so everyone is seperated—-otherwise i WOULD tell them that the neuropathy they’re getting from the chemo is going to be worse than the cancer!!! Why does the chemo we use for cidp or the chemo done with sct not cause neuropathy but chemo for cancer causing it???