Celebration Time

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 2:20 pm

My dear dear friends!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

After almost 10 years of doing everything by the book, paying taxes, social security and everything else we need to, waiting patiently while watching illegal aliens come into the country and get everything handed to them, AND not get thrown out the country ………… I wanted to let you know that We have FINALLY got our Green Cards/Permanent Resident Cards!!!! They arrived in the mail today and I have just opened them.
      The next step is to become citizens, which takes another 5 years, but hey I can wait, Im just so happy ๐Ÿ˜€ .

[I]*It is not my intention to offend anyone with my post, I know the sensitivity towards foreign residents at times, but If I did offend I apologize[/I]

Now lets [B][I]partay[/I][/B]!!!

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 2:58 pm

Dear Ali:

Congratulations to you and your family. I know you have been anxious for this to happen for quite a while. I think you and your family will be a great addition to our country.

Lee

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 3:17 pm

Hello Ali,
      CONGRADULATIONS to you and your family. It must have been a long wait. Follow the Yellow Brick Road to the MAIN FORUM and we’ll have a PARTY for you in the TAVERN.
      [IMG]http://d21c.com/BeautifulTonight/roses/vaseflw.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 5:21 pm

I knew about your SA connection but if I would have known you were an immigrant w/o a green card I wouldn’t have talked to you. Can’t trust those foreigners, especially the ones who speak better English than me.:D Just kidding, congratulations. That is really exciting. I am an immigrant myself who came here with a green card long time ago. The citizen test you have to take is pretty easy. They have booklets you can use to study for it – for future reference.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 5:31 pm

Ali,

I am so happy for you guys. I know how much it means to you. I am always up for a partay, just let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Jer

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 6:01 pm

Yaaayyyy! We need more folks like you and your family here! Congradulations to all of you.

SuzyQ

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 7:26 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”Red”]Congratulations Ali! I’m so excited for you and your family. It IS celebration time!…Vicki:) [ATTACH]797[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]798[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 7:30 pm

Congratulation Ali. Great news

Sue

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 8:57 pm

[B]Ali,

I am so happy for you and the family, you deserve all good things.:) ๐Ÿ™‚ [/B]

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2006 at 5:30 am

yeah Ali!!!!!!!!!!!

Good job. My nephew brought his wife here from Mexico the legal way. What a mess!! Boy, you try to do the right thing and is makes it so hard. Rewarding in the end, though. Congrats. We’re proud of you.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2006 at 7:49 am

Congradulations, Ali. My wife is from a foreign country. She found the test simple. She learned english and can spell, write and speak well. Our kids still tease her regarding accent. Some things you never change. And I think it is neat. By the way she is like you has a difficult time with those that come into the country without documentation. And I agree undocumented constitutes breaking the law and we should not allow over 12,000,000 people in this country without proper documentation.

You and yours have my best wishes. I welcome you and congradulate you on all you have done to get your green cards.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2006 at 8:21 pm

THANK YOU everyone, I appreciate all your kind words, it [I]really[/I] does mean a lot to me. ๐Ÿ™‚
      I am thankful that English is our first language because I think the added stress of having to learn another language must be huge burden, and Norb Im not so sure I speak better than you .. ๐Ÿ˜€ . I used to be so conscious of my accent for about the first 4 or 5 years living here, but now I admit that I dont even think about it, untill I see a look of surprise on someones face sometimes when they arent expecting it. Most people ask if it is an Australian or British accent ….. our ‘founding fathers’ were the Dutch and the British.

• Anonymous
      November 18, 2006 at 7:59 pm

[PHP][/PHP]My first few years in this country – 40+ years ago – were pretty difficult, too. In my case, the most difficult challenge was the language. In school we had British English but very little conversation. On top of that, our teacher was German. Not only did I have to get used to the American English but also to the many idioms and euphemisms.

I never forget one incidence at the airline office in Pittsburgh where I used to work. I had only been there for a few months when one day while taking a break in the lounge a young woman, a new hire, came in looking around. “Where is the rest room?” she asked me. My mind was working overtime. “Rest room????? – Never heard of the expression. Oh, I got it. That must be where people rest.” I answered her: “You must use this one here. This is the only one we have.”

• Anonymous
      November 22, 2006 at 8:30 pm

Norb – Cute story!

Ali – Congrats on the green cards! You and your hubby deserve it!

Love,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 3:49 am

Hi, Ali, and congrats! I’m an American transplanted into England–had all the proper paperwork when we came but still had plenty of hurdles to jump. And although we’re full legal residents, because we retain our American citizenship, even after fifteen years we still have restrictions.

Norb, I know the feeling about the English language. Here a restroom is exactly that–a place where people rest, a lounge where people get away from work for a few minutes. A bathroom is a room with a bath. If you need a toilet, you probably won’t find one in either room. For that you need the loo.

When we moved here my son, who was six, was told that he needed a jumper for his school uniform. To me a jumper was a sleeveless dress. It didn’t take long to find out that in England a jumper is a sweatshirt or pullover sweater. And come to discover that my son wears his pants under his trousers (and I wear my knickers under mine). The list could go on for hours: indeed, we’re two peoples separated by a common language.

Deb

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 11:15 am

[QUOTE=eightplusfive]
      Norb, I know the feeling about the English language. Here a restroom is exactly that–a place where people rest, a lounge where people get away from work for a few minutes. A bathroom is a room with a bath. If you need a toilet, you probably won’t find one in either room. For that you need the loo.
      Deb[/QUOTE]
      Deb, thanks so much for posting this. 45 years after my embarassing encounter I finally feel vindicated. I just don’t understand why Americans have to use these kind of euphemisms. At least in England things are named a bit more logically or to the point.

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Sure, Norb. Loo is direct and too the point. Actually, it was derived from the old days in Edinburgh, when folks lives in Closes. When they would empty their chamber pots, they would yell Balla loo(sp?) so the poor happless characters down below would know to duck.

• Anonymous
      November 25, 2006 at 1:13 am

Congratulations Ali! You and your family are a delightful addition to the USA:)