can one get pnuemonia on ivig?

• Anonymous
      April 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm

For abt 4 wks I have had subtle return of swallowing problems. I saw my neuro on 3/27 and we decided to increase my IVIG dose for many reasons. We began the increase 2 weeks ago.
      With the first extra dose, I got improved strength and balance in my legs. Then before the second dose I broke my thumb in a fall. Since then and another infusion, I have been again strugglling for strength, very tired and weak.

Over the weekend I had swallowing problems at the end of the day and coughing until I gagged last night. When i went to bed last night I had chest . lung and spine tenderness. Today started poorly. I was in severe pain. I kept my chiropractic appt and my physical therapy appt. I had a 20 minute long seizure in the afternoon. But by the end of the day, I am feeling generally much better.

The only thing that is left is this lung pain. I have pain with taking a deep breathe, and lifting my arms.
      I don’t feel like dealing with more medical professionals right now. I have not had so much as a virus since starting IVIG.
      I’m hoping I just have inflammed rib muscles.

IS pneumonia a possibilty?

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 1:42 am

Erin,

Go with your gut…if you feel something is not right it is best to get it checked out.

You are better to go to doc before the symptoms get worse and you end up in the hospital.

Take care
      Rhonda

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 8:09 am

It’s strange how alot of us dont get sick very often while on IVIG…I know that I dont…but I have gotten some upper respiratory stuff a few times and Strep that knocked me to my knees.
      Please call your dr and be seen if this continues. If it IS pneumonia, you need meds and lots and lots of rest.

well wishes,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 8:17 am

I was on ivig until last month (about a year and half).. I never had a sniffle, cough, nothing….. Now I’m off ivig…. Last week I caught a sniffle, that has turned into a terrible, chest cold..

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Emily has gotten sick a few times while on IVIG.

I know you are sick of seeing dr’s but you REALLY need to get in just to get checked out. You need to make sure it’s not CIDP causing you all of these problems.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Hi Erin,
      This is not having to do with the IVIG–it has to do with CIDP…
      I have CIDP. with dysautonomia, (it hit my autonomic system).
      As it hit the autonomic system, it hit the phrenic nerve, thus causing the diaphragm to be weak and unable to take deep breaths, which was confirmed with the various pulmonary tests they did on me,
      It also hit the swallowing/digestive system/stomach, thus causing
      dysphagia and gastroparesis and esophageal dysmotility, which was all confirmed with a “swallow test”.
      So, the problems with swallowing and unable to breathe well or have a strong cough, is due to the CIDP.
      I am dealing very carefully now, when I eat. That past two weeks, I have choken 3 times, once on meat, the other on soft crumbly textures, as well as choking on liquids sometimes.
      The one main thing you have to watch out for, is ASPIRATION PNEUMONIA, which is when food or liquid goes into the lung, causing bacteria, thus causing the aspiration pneumonia.
      “Google” aspiration pneumonia, and you will see the symptoms and problems, (one being a sore chest), and how the docs. try to resolve it.
      Hope this helps.
      KEDASO
      (Ken)

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm

It is far, far better to get yourself checked out and be safe…than sorry.
      We all hate hospitals and that’s the last place we want to be again!
      After all, there are really, really, sick people in there – who can, well, ‘share’.
      Don’t know about you, but a doc office visit is a lot nicer than a trip to the ER.

Please let us know how you are doing!

• Anonymous
      April 14, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Thank all of you for information and support!

I hate this disease! That said , I have received many blessings while ill. Support, caring and information from this grp is just a part of it.

Swallowing problems are at bay again, for now. I had Integrative Manual Therapy(IMT) yesterday… my PT for 3 hrs yesterday. My extremely competent therapists were not letting me leave without multiple swallowing test, and IMT treatment for swallowing until I said things were much better.

Like you Ken, I also have autonomic issues, before IVIG I was wasting due to GI problems, had swallowing issues, respiration problem, and many more seizures than I have now. IMT and intravenous nutritional support was what kept me going while fighting my insurance co for IVIG. Things should get better again, as we go back to a higher dose of IVIG again, but starting abt 6-8 wks ago, some of the autonomic issues that had left, returned.
      I have never lost the dystonia that comes and goes in my left limbs.

As far as chest pain.. it is far less, 90% less than yesterday. The increased dose of lyrica that my neuro recommended for nights effective last night may be helping, but I have taken nothing for pain today. Currently at almost 7pm, I am tired, cooking dinner, and will shower and rest after. I did do a bit of raking, had to get the leaves off the sprouting bulbs, and a load of laundry.

Hopefully tomorrow, I will be even better.
      Have a good evening!
      Erin