brain lessions

• May 17, 2007 at 6:08 pm

sorry no info

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I’ve done a lot of research looking for a connection between GBS and MS, and I’ve found nothing explicitly connecting the two whatsoever. The only connection I’ve found is the generalization that people with one autoimmune condition often end up developing others over the course of a lifetime, and as we all know, the list of AI diseases is a mile long, so that could really mean a lot of different things.

One of the recent posts about MS was mine, but honestly, I was having red-flag symptoms long before GBS struck me. And when I asked him about it, my neurologist was adamant that my white matter lesions were completely unrelated to GBS. If I end up having MS on top of this, it will just be my big fat bad luck. It’s definitely not some sort of predictable disease pattern, not by any means.

I’m sorry if my other post alarmed you unnecessarily. I would not worry for a single second about Kevie and MS; I think the chances of him developing it are slim to begin with, but are especially slim since it affects females more often than males. I would think that would make him even less likely than the already rare likelihood to develop it, if that makes sense.

• Anonymous
      May 17, 2007 at 8:46 pm

I have lesions on my brain, and MRIs show them to be OLD..I trace them to various head injuries as a teen and later as an adult…all well before any hint of CIDP.
      What I think neuros look for are new lesions, possibly caused by a recent attack by the neuro-autoimmune system on the brain meyelin…In my case, I’d old lesions = good. If I’d new lesions, I am sure I would have far more tests than I had…
      From all I’ve read, yes, other immune issues can develop. In my case it is the thyroid…as to when the thyroid went over the hedge to an IMMUNE issue is up for debate…but it’s there, it’s been treated correctly all along because of the IVIG and meds and there’s not a whole much else to do about it. If I were to develop one of the many other auto-immune problems that the hay-wire defense system can think of, well I’m super alert to the possibility. I’ve read a lot on MS boards, and I can find no one instance of CIDP+ MS. Small comfort, I believe?
      BUT, one can learn a LOT about how to live with the pain, and a LOT of research about nerve pain being done for MS sufferers benefits US… We aren’t isolated souls in the pain department, just different sorts of pain.
      IN the end, I don’t think MS is on the future roadmap. But, we can learn about it and share what we all have in common…the pain.
      Good thoughts!

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2007 at 3:34 am

Hi, Dawn.

A lot of things can cause brain lesions or scarring. Although CIDP is a disorder of the peripheral nervous system, there are some who have lesions with no other disorder being found. Whether these are related to the CIDP, are indicative of another disorder, or are merely coincidental is anybody’s guess.

Those with one autoimmune disorder do seem to have more of a likelihood of contracting a second, but there are lots of people who never get more than one. It’s not anything to worry about, but if new symptoms appear be sure and talk to Kevie’s doctor.

Best wishes in the battle,

Deb
      London

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2007 at 6:59 pm

Well I am one of the unlucky ones, diagnosed with GBS May 2001, diagnosed with MS 9/11/06. I also have hypothyroidism and had Endometrious, all autoimmune diseases. Anyone wanna guess which other one I might get, or have and don’t know it yet.
      I asked my neurologist if he knew of anyone else having MS and previously having GBS, his answer, yes. So who knows why?
      Mary Jo

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2007 at 8:38 am

I do believe MS is caused by a virus also. the chances of a gbs person getting ms is equal to any other person getting ms, with a slightly higher chance for women.:(