blue cross/shield in CA not paying for ivig for PN – rebuild

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 7:07 pm

blue cross/shield in CA has stopped paying for ivig for PN. you can bet if it does not raise hell, it’ll soon be for all of the usa & who knows where else. the fda does not show ivig as a line of defence for gbs. recently gbsfi submitted to them studies done 16 years ago & they said the info is too old. the fda is sending ‘dear doc’ letters out telling docs not to Rx ivig for gbs/PN. annoys me off cuz what if someone wants to pay but is not aware it is available? i wonder if the insurance companies tell the fda what to do? guess pp will have to fill in. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 8, 2006 at 7:13 pm

I had mentioned this subject last year in the old forums. Frank’s Neuro went to a conference in New York and part of the discussion was that all insurance companies will eventually not be paying for IVIG, mainly because of the $$$$ not because it’s not a proven help resourse for “PN” from any illness

All you need is one Ins. Co. to stop payment for IVIG, they all will follow suit.

I will repeat myself as I have in the past, it’s all aboout the damn $$$$$$$$$.

😡 😡 😡 😡

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2006 at 11:48 am

i agree w brandy. it’s the high cost. the reasons they give are flack. i never hear of prednisone being held back by ins companies. it’s pennies, no consideration for the harm it can do. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Yeah, that’s what I am worried about, too. I just went off Prednisone because it was playing havoc with my body. A one month supply of 90 pills was about 1 dollar under my plan. Now I am scheduled for a new round of IVIG on the 17th, the first time with Aetna as secondary insurance after medicare. I am really worried about it. Being on Social Security plus a $600 a month annuity as our only income doesn’t make me feel very secure.

• Anonymous
      May 9, 2006 at 2:06 pm

I had posted this once upon a time on the old forum. Each IVIG manufacturer has programs to help people like us pay for it. If your left with a large amount to pay after insurance perhaps you could inquire about the programs available. If I can do anything to help please let me know.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2008 at 12:57 pm

bringing this back up for newbees. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      April 2, 2008 at 1:09 pm

None of this surprises me. I have Blue Cross and they won’t cover my gabapentin because it can also be used for migraines…something I was diagnosed with years ago but do not take prescription drugs for. I am in CA and you are all right…it is all about the almighty $$$$$ and it ticks me off. I need to up my levels but can’t afford to and am not covered by any medical plan that will. It sucks….