Bladder problems

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2006 at 10:24 pm

My son Nate has a problem knowing if his is full until it is very full, and also a hard time getting started emptying it.
      This worries me some since he is only emptying about 3 times a day and its a huge amount then.
      Is it common for GBS patients to have this problem?
      I have not heard that one before.

• Anonymous
      October 30, 2006 at 11:41 pm

Yup ~ especially if I’ve gotten over tired. Remember, GBS/CIPD attacks the nerves ~ any nerves it can including bladder, kidneys, pancreas, liver, etc, etc, etc! So, even if you haven’t heard of “it” before, someone “out there” has experienced it also. After 11+ years I’m still reading about residuals that I thought were unique to me ~ oh well :rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 12:08 am

Can not empyting very often cause any problems other than infections, which he has already had?
      3 Mos ago he had Strep infection in his bladder.
      The hospital never said if it was related to his bladder not emptying often or not. They kept giving him Cranberry Juice but it didn’t help him go any more often.
      They put him on antibiotics and it cleared up in about a week but he still can’t go very often and it worries me.
      One more thing to talk to our new doc about.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 8:33 am

hi trudy, same goes for me, ever since my first event aug 05, can’t feel and have to use timed voids if i notice i’m not going more then 4 times a day. make sure he gets plenty of water and keep up the juice intake. i drink filtered water and white cranberry/peach juice. tonic water will also help with the muscle cramps and flushing the system. give nate my best. take care.:)

• October 31, 2006 at 9:36 am

I had the same problem, and when I tried to go I couldnt. Sat for a while and eventually it happened.

Now I am sometimes overactive. Others I feel “numb”. maybe if he sits and reads something and takes his mind off of going it would help?

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 11:26 am

Natesmom,

I talked with my doc last week about just this thing and I realized that I had subconsiously “scheduled” myself to go periodically thoughout the day because I can’t feel when I need to go. If I forget to follow the routine schedule then I end up waiting until about to burst. Just another one of the GBS residuals I guess.

I also drink tonic water to help with leg/foot cramps and it seems to help.

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 12:31 pm

Perhaps you could set a timer to go off every 2 hours to remind him to take a trip to the bathroom? That’s what I had to do because I wouldn’t feel it until I was about to burst.

When he takes a trip to the bathroom because the timer went off, even if he thinks he can’t “go” have him sit for awhile and read (as suggested previously) or turn the water on in the sink. Sometimes that might spur things on.

You also need to [I]emphasize[/I] to him that he needs to be patient and try to empty as much as he can. It can sometimes take a very long time and it IS frustrating, but he’ll have less problems overall if he can take the time to let his bladder empty completely.

~ Good Luck! ~

🙂

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Hi

Thanks for the reminders about the tonic water. I drink red wine (and too much of it) and for a while now I have been ‘watering it down’ with tonic water. It wasn’t ’til I read this Thread that I realised I haven’t had foot cramp in a while!

Teresa

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2006 at 9:34 pm

What is in it that helps with cramps? I was thinking about getting some tomorrow at Wal along with Cranberry Juice.
      Anything that can help him feel like he needs to go is good IMO.
      And anything that can help with his muscle cramps is good too.

• October 31, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Gatorade works great for cramps….and it sure helps me have to go. Regular bottled water didnt help, but gatorade did. The Rain one is really light in flavor.

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 8:52 pm

quinine (sp)? is in tonic water. it comes in pill form too. it’s cheaper to drink tonic water.
      deb 🙂

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Nate has had Gastric Bypass so he cannot drink anything with sugar in it.
      I read up on what Tonic Water has in it that can help with muscle cramps. It’s Quinine. Makes sense.
      I’m going to get some Tonic Water today at the grocery store since I could not find it at Wal.
      I did find Cranberry Juice with no sugar there though.
      Nate and I both agreed that he should drink some every day to help at least try to acidify his urine to avoid another UTI, and that he will try to go more often.
      I will also be talking to our doc about it tomorrow.
      I would hate for him to have anything else happen.

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 12:47 pm

I will tell you about my experience and see what you can get from it.

When I had finally gotten the catheter out I was still having trouble knowing when to go. I had many “accidents” at night but not during the day. I had finally had an appointment to see a doctor about my bladder. He suggested Interstim therapy. An Interstim is a device that is implanted in your lower back and sends impulses to you bladder to help you void your bladder. Basically what you get is a steady “shock” at all times.

I hope this will help some. Take care.

Steven

• Anonymous
      November 2, 2006 at 12:48 pm

I have the same bladder problems too and also bowel problems because I cant feel much going on down there and dont really have the strength to move things along either. I get cramps in my abdomen area and it usually is around the same time as I realize I havent had a bowel movement in several days. Just make sure you pay close attention to his bowel movements as well and make sure he gets stool softeners, laxatives, suppositories, extra fiber, whatever he needs to keep things moving along as this can have serious health affects if he gets backed up.