Bladder dysfunction

• Anonymous
      January 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm

9 weeks after sudden onset of GBS with paralysis from the waist down, my husband is still unable to urinate without  self catheterizing.  He keeps getting UTI’s from doing this even though all precautions are taken to avoid them.  Has anyone been through this and when the bladder does return, does it return all at once or gradually?

• February 16, 2013 at 10:13 pm

When I first got sick 7 years ago, I could not go to the bathroom. I just sat and waited. Today, I still don’t have the sensation that i have to go until I am about to have an accident. Even then it takes effort to actually go. My doctor told me to see a urologist to see about a nerogenic bladder. I have not done this yet.

How long has your hubby been dealing with this? I am not sure if this will help with the UTI’s but my daughter has issues with recurring bladder problems so I have her on Cranberry capsules. She has improved and says she feels better. She doesn’t have GBS just the uti’s and bladder thing.

I really hope someone will post with better information than I have. I know healing is a personal thing, but from personal experience things seem to come back gradually as nerves come back online.

• Anonymous
      June 27, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I had this, too. i used to have to push on my lower abdomen to start going. I would see a urologist.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2013 at 5:33 am

What causes bowel and bladder dysfunction in a person with low back pain?