Biogen Starts Human Trial For Drug That Could Repair Myelin Damage

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm

I was reading about this from one of the MS forum sites that Biogen just announced today that it’s starting human trials using a new drug called BllB033 that can repair the damage to myelin caused by multiple sclerosis and i imagine it could help us with CIDP also if successful in the future.

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Good news but guess it will takes to be available

• Anonymous
      January 27, 2010 at 9:52 pm

CIDPGuy

I don’t know how it acts. The difference between MS and CIDP is that CIDP is Peripheral and MS attacks the Central Nervous System. The CNS has a different process to rebuild its myelin, I remember reading about it, but now I forget what they are called. We have Schwann cells, and then have ” those whatever” cells.
      I am sure that this drug acts on the “whatever” cells and spurs them to produce myelin for the CNS.

So, although it mat not be a direct application, it may leadf to a quicker application that might help us.

I like the fact that there is progress.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      January 28, 2010 at 12:07 am

[QUOTE=Dick S]CIDPGuy

I don’t know how it acts. The difference between MS and CIDP is that CIDP is Peripheral and MS attacks the Central Nervous System. The CNS has a different process to rebuild its myelin, I remember reading about it, but now I forget what they are called. We have Schwann cells, and then have ” those whatever” cells.
      I am sure that this drug acts on the “whatever” cells and spurs them to produce myelin for the CNS.

So, although it mat not be a direct application, it may leadf to a quicker application that might help us.

Dick S[/QUOTE]

I’ll second that bit of hope! Progress is progress which ever way you slice it!

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 2:24 pm

[QUOTE=Dick S]CIDPGuy

Dick S[/QUOTE]

Hey Dick

Yeap i know these new meds are for MS an Central Nervous System disease but at least science is moving forward for many different neural diseases. I see that there is cautious optimism as the first ever stem cell trials for ALS started on jan 21 by two different biotech companies here in the USA and so why i know those ALS enrollees won’t be cured by these early trials however it’s still good to see it and other trials move forward 🙂 .

CIDPGuy (harry)

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 3:58 pm

[COLOR=black]”Those whatever” cells are called oligodendrocytes. There are significant differences between the two cells. For example, oligodendrocytes can myelinate up to 50 axons, covering each with up to 1 mm of myelin, while Schwann cells only myelinate 1 axon, covering at most 100 µm.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]My guess as to why there are two diseases, MS and CIDP, as opposed to one overall demyelinating disease, is that there are subtle differences in the blood-nerve and blood-brain barriers and in the cell structure of the myelin produced by the two types of cells. These differences, though, apparently are such that the immune system mounts a (misguided) defense against one but not the other. [/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=black]In this particular case, it depends on if LINGO-1 (the target of BIIB033) is produced by Schwann cells as well as oligodendrocytes. If so, then there is some hope that it can help CIDP. If not, at least it suggests a line of research for fighting CIDP.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]MarkEns[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Nice posting MarkEns !!

Yeap my thought is that if we ever get a treatment that really works it will be only because we are on the periphery of one of the other diseases like MS that gets a ton of money where as we do not.

I was just on NIH’s site and there are only 9 current clinical trials for CIDP (552 for MS) and 7 of those were using IVIG. I wonder why they have one for Lipoic Acid as i doubt that will show anything as we have an ongoing process of the immune system constantly attacking the sheath.

• Anonymous
      January 30, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I do like the fact that progress is being made. I have always thought that autoimmune cures would come first in a disease like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus or MS strictly due to the numbers involved. There are just too few of us CIDPers to justify millions and millions of dollars of research for our cure. BUT if there is a cure for one of the other autoimmune’s then quite possible the mechanics of the cure could be applied to CIDP. Then they would have the process of cure and only need to find the agent to do the work.

Many times they find either the agent or the process but not both….

Hopefully, when they get to the cure for one, they will all fall soon thereafter.

that is the day I wait for