Best Part D IVIG Coverage

• Anonymous
      November 1, 2006 at 7:03 pm

I have a problem now that my Medicare won’t pay for my IVIG as it’s now coming from a RX Provider instead of the actual manufacturer-so it’s considered a “drug” now. When Baxter was the supplier Medicare paid it almost in full and the rest bounced over to my secondary Blue Cross (has it’s own prescription plan I use). With the shortage of IVIG and my intense need to have it at the neuro’s every two weeks this RX supplier can do that.The RX company is charging 65% more too.
      As of July my Blue Cross is taking the full amount on and I have a lifetime coverage cap to consider.
      So-what company Medicare Part D provder is doing the best IVIG coverage price wise for you????
      Blue Cross said I could have TWO prescription coverages-no problem adding Part D with Medicare…..
      Please give any suggestions or even private message me.
      Please one day a special drug will be made to help us all and it will have easy access/be cheap/in my dreams…..

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2006 at 12:20 pm

Is there a way to get your IVIG at a hospital? I get mine at the University of Colorado hospital as an outpatient. Medicare so far has always paid for it (80%) and my secondary insurance, Aetna, has paid the rest after an annual $1000 deductible. At the infusion center there is another CIDP patient getting IVIG every two weeks. She is on Medicare also and is not having any problems.

• Anonymous
      December 2, 2006 at 10:24 pm

I have my infusions at the neuro’s clinic so that’s the difference from being at a hospital. Because the provider of IVIG changed so did the coverage. So strange-but my BCBS has other plan options that are unlimited coverage come next summer. (see my first post)
      I have found a Medicare Part D company in North Carolina that will pay for it all without the “doughnut hole”.
      I am hoping I can have Medicare Part D AND BCBS prescription coverages to pay for IVIG till I no longer need it.
      Did you ask your neuro to have your IVIG at the hospital or are their private clinics available?? I have a private room, close by kitchen, covered back patio area, and walk 100 feet to the clinic-it’s the same price as the hospital. Sometimes me and the cart go for walks-I’m strolling down the sidewalk in the sun. The patient/nurse ratio is 4/5 to one. When you need them they come running””” It’s quiet and I’m thankful for that.

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2006 at 12:14 am

Hi,
      I wish I could help but I can’t because I never had a problem with coverage when I was having infusions and I had medicare, plus a good secondary. Maybe the difference was that I had it done at the hospital. I even had home infusions for a short time and medicare never questioned. Maybe it would help if you called medicare and asked them to explain in detail why they won’t cover. Maybe it would help if you got a letter from your doctor to send to medicare that IVIG is medically necessary. That’s what I’d try.

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2006 at 1:10 pm

limecat, my neuro works at the University of Colorado hospital, the same place where I am getting my IVIG. She scheduled it there automatically. Another thing, in my case Medicare is not paying for it as a drug under part D which would be handled by my secondary insurance. It is considered outpatient treatment and is paid under Medicare part B, hence the 80%. This way Medicare doesn’t care who provides the IG.

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2006 at 6:35 pm

Thanks folks-if I was in the hospital or the manufacturer (Baxter) sent it directly to the neuro’s (like before) the IVIG Medicare would pay 80%. I’m working it out. Another clinic patient is in the same situation as me.
      The shortage last winter caused me to become ill again quickly and that can’t happen.The hospitals weren’t taking any new IVIG patients. Baxter wouldn’t sent to the neuro-he was considered a lesser option. The hospitals got it instead. So the big RX supplier for home infusions can guarantee the supply to my doctor-it’s now considered a drug-hence no Medicare coverage like before.The location is a factor too. It’s that silly??
      If I didn’t already have free Blue Cross I’d gotten Part D.
      I can now walk without crutches, the pain is bearable and my life is so much better. I am so very thankful. For the first time in years I planted flowers. 🙂

• Anonymous
      December 4, 2006 at 11:04 pm

I was started today on IVIg at home through a an RX supplier and a homehealth agency. I was informed that I am in the doughnut hole of Medicare D and will be responsible for the cost. The neuro earlier checked with the hospital and they had no supply so he went this route. Has anyone regained funds post-treatment?

Peace,
      Pat

• December 5, 2006 at 7:53 am

I get my IVIg at the infusion lab through the hospital under part d of Medacare. As I’m lower imcome, have no second insurance and living alone the hospital writes off 75% of my 20%. We have a deal where I just pay 50 dollars a month,{probably for the rest of my life,lol}. I’m back off the steriods thank God, and will go in once a month.

• Anonymous
      December 5, 2006 at 12:06 pm

The GBS/CIDP Foundation is taking an active interest in co-pay, reimbursement, site of care and other similar issues. We have been your voice at the table with several government agencies and in the Capitol. We will continue to do this but change, unfortunately, takes times. On our Homepage you will find a place on the right hand column to tell your story. I take these stories to Congress, etc, to make your voices heard and to give me more credibility. Please take some time to register your story.

Barbara Katzman
      Associate Director
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2006 at 1:01 am

Barbara,

Thank you for your time and efforts on these kind of matters. It is bad enough having GBS/CIDP. Having to do with these kind of issues take alot out of a person. Your efforts have taken much of that stress out of our lives and your continued support to tell the medical world about this horrible condition is much appreciated. THANK YOU!

[IMG]http://www.tencards.com/tn/Thank-You-27.jpg[/IMG]