back to work…

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 12:22 am

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]~ so after 3 long years of hell, a stem cell transplant and lots of recovery– at last, i am returning to work– full duty, as a police officer. my date to return is february 4th…

i feel such apprehension and excitement both– it feels beyond words at this point. i’m frozen in nervousness, or fear–

yikes.
      [/FONT]

• January 1, 2011 at 6:13 am

Alice, Expect the best!
      You’ve already proven beyond a doubt that you can make the best out of the worst!
      You are filled with such an abundance of positive energy that all those lawbreakers will want to leave town.
      I’ve mustered up so much positive energy for you that I know it’s turning cartwheels in your direction.
      Those fears better get out of the way.
      My little kitty cats have been astonishing because everyday they inspire my soul with their living example of positive energy in action. They Know.

P.S. They are sending positive energy to you right now (we had a little talk) along with my positive energy and all the positive enery that you will receive from others.

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

I am so happy for you. I hope in 2011 more ppl. will be writing a post like yours. Good luck.

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Congratulations.

Don’t be frozen solid, OK? More like a slurrpy. You’ll be fine and perform well.

Thanks for being an inspiration to so many people.

May you be blessed with a pleasant, productive, problem free and prosperous New Year.

• January 1, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I am happy to hear of your good news. I have been following your posts since starting my own journey with this crappy disease. They are always very inspiring, gave me hope at my low points, and many good articles to research on my sleepless pred. nights. I wish you the best of luck—-the one thing with cidp is it makes us stronger and more determined—you made it through all that–so you will do great. I hope you still find time to keep posting–your knowledge and insight into the questions on this board are very helpful. Lori

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Hello Alice,
      What great news for us all to hear, that’s HOPE. Of course you’re nervous, but your brothers and sisters will have your back. We’re going to look for the best.

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

We are all happy for you. This is what we were waiting to hear.
      [IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2701/catcongratulations.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 3:37 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]thank you so much for your dear thoughts, encouragement and wishes!! i gain strength from them, from all of you– i really thank you.

yes, i will continue to post– i will always belong to this exclusive fellowship…

i hope that everyone here fights the good fight and lands up in a better place– whatever that may be. especially for the youngest victims of this horrid disease– and especially for those a bit older– how unfair, for all, but really for those already feeling the bruise of old-age.

it has to be a matter of time before either SCT will become more mainstream, or better– a prevention is found.

i’ll hope, as i am not a prayer….

peace,
      alice[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Congratulations alice!!! That is wonderful news.

I’ll be sending you positive thoughts, to make your first days go smoother.

Please keep us updated from time to time. It is hopeful.

Happy New Year ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Wow Alice that is wonderful news! I hope you will tell us about what it is like when you get back to the job. That is going to be some shock to the system, but a good one once you get back into the routine.
      Happy Happy New Year.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      January 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Congratulations! I wish you well and know that with our positive thoughts and prayers you will do fine. One you have that uniform on… you will transform into the Officier you (were) are. We are proud of you.

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2011 at 2:44 pm

what a great feeling! i went back to work oct 4 as a middle school art teacher. i knonw how it feels to not be able to do what you love and then to be able to get back to it. i am so very happy for you.
      be safe

• Anonymous
      January 2, 2011 at 5:45 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]thanks again– it’s so nice to hear all these nice thoughts!

the initial transition will undoubtedly be difficult– but then i imagine i will ease into my old pace that i used to love.

i’ll stay in touch:) it’s not that easy to get rid of me ๐Ÿ˜‰

alice[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 2:57 am

I truly believe that if someone fights the battle of GBS or CIDP and wins—that’s your answer in itself. You are clearly a winner already. Returning to work will be a fasinating experience for you. My husband is a Retired Police Officer so I understand the fear. You have to meet specific physical requirements–and rightfully so. It sounds like you are there. It gives me hope that maybe someday I will walk normal again even though I was told that my ankles would not get any better. And I would have to wear afo’s for the rest of my life. But like Dr. Lewis said to me, “It is what it is”.

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 11:37 am

Best wishes to you Alice, I know you’ll do great….you just have that fight in
      you that it takes to be a survivor. I have followed your story from when I
      joined this forum and you have truely been an inspiration for me. You’ll do
      just fine kiddo!!! (I get up at early and from 4:30-5:00a.m. I wake up with
      my morning coffee and watch “COPS” and often think of you) HA-HA.
      Love ya girl,

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 12:28 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]i love you too ms. judy!! i too have always read your posts and admire your courage and strength! i hope this new year brings healing to you and everyone suffering here–

gosh, i didn’t expect to be so touched by the responses from this thread– but i am. i don’t want to mislead though– i do still have pain and healing going on… and i sincerely hope that more healing will happen in this second year. like pam h. and the doctors say, typically you heal for approximately 2 years after the disease is arrested or “cured,” as i like to call it. in these last couple/few months, i have not noticed too much healing until just this past week when i was able to climb two stairs at once while exercising. i like walking/running stairs for exercise because it really stretches the backs of your legs as well as strengthens the hip flexor muscles. it strengthens the whole leg of course, but it seems to focus so well on the hips which get so weak typically on us demyelinators… additionally, it helps with balance if you don’t hold the handrails, which i am able now to not do.

anyway, the rehab continues… and work approaches– yikes…

p.s. ms. judy, if you like watching cops, you should come out to san francisco someday and i’ll take you on a ride-a-long :)[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Tohear that you are going back to work, I remember that phone call back on the eve of the 2008 elections, how far you have come. When I first got sick it was my job that I was most concerned about, the students that I was working with at that time. Little did i know what CIDP really had in store for me! But that was almost 9 years ago now, & it is so good to hear someone fought this battle & won. You are truly an inspiration for so many here, & so darn smart as well!

• Anonymous
      January 3, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Keep your body and brain in gear as you get back to work. Don’t let folks ‘coddle’ you. But, if you can? Ease into to it all slowly and steadily.

Your docs… I cannot wait to see your treatments become a ‘standard protocol’ for therapy! Scary, but amazing at the same time! They are heroes in my book!
      As are you.

Do keep us up to date on how all goes, good and bad. What’s happpening to/for you is something I, for one, would appreciate knowing about. It all is about HOPE.

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2011 at 9:04 am

Oh Alice,

I am so glad to hear your news. I don’t come on here that much, so I’m a little behind, but it brought a great big smile to my face!!!! I know much of your healing came from Sophie and all the four leggeds!

xxoo
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2011 at 10:52 am

With your attitude and knowledge of our illness, you will do great. Congratulations!

• Anonymous
      January 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Im so happy for you sct sis! I know you ll do great and will be one of the best officers out there!

I cant wait until I announce the same . soon I hope.

Good luck.!

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

Hey, Alice:

This is great news. I can well imagine why you are nervous–at least in part because yours is such a physically demanding job, and you’re not yet at 100%

But we all know that, with this disease, if you don’t push yourself beyond your current capabilities, you’ll probably never get to 100%.

We will want to know how you are acclimating to your job; I know you’ll keep us in the loop.

Best wishes,

Sharon

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Yay Alice! That is awesome news. I love your new profile pic. You look healthy! ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck to you. You will do great. It should be a piece of cake to you after all that you have been through….you have demonstrated such strength of character!! Please keep us posted on how it goes.

• Anonymous
      January 5, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Congratulations!! After all you have gone through, getting back to work should be a challenge that you can handle. Best of luck

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Alice,
      I just wanted to tell you that I watched you on the video and you were great and so healthy looking! Also, wanted to let you know that Feb.4 is
      my hubby’s 64 Birthday so that will be your lucky return to work day too.
      I fired my last Neuro guy, the night before I was suppose to have my port
      put in he called me and cancelled….everything!!!, including the IVIG treat-
      ments. Just like that, after 6 mths of ttreatments. I was shocked and asked
      him why and he said because they are too invasive and I could get an infec-
      tion that could go to my bloodstream and die!!! My case worker said the
      insurance co. had it all approved, I even had a letter from them stating it.
      Just as well, this guy never gave me a straight answer about anything any-way. I did go to see a Dr. Lawrence Kinsella and I do believe he does know
      what he’s talking about. Very nice man who was very knowledgeable and he
      is on my insurance plan. Thanks Cody (I should of listened to you a long time
      ago. Sorry I’m rambling on but I swear some of these Neuro guys must get
      their degrees from Wal-Mart!!
      Alice, We will be in California this summer visiting my nephew and his wife so
      don’t be surprised if I look you up. A ride a Long would be like a dream come
      true….I really am a dare devil at heart.

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2011 at 9:49 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]ms. judy,

firstly, thanks for your compliments ๐Ÿ˜‰
      it was fun to put my 2 cents in against blue shield…

sorry about your lousy neurologist– i agree– walmart, kmart or target sounds about right with regards to their medical degrees. i am very glad though that you have now found a neuro you feel you can work with; maybe his degree is from macy’s or something ๐Ÿ˜‰

yes, absolutely look me up if you are in the san francisco bay area! i would very much enjoy meeting up with you and your husband– wish him an early birthday! we’ll have to see about the ride-a-long–haha– we have a brand new chief and i hear he’s on the grumpy side (and that was diplomatic).

write me when you know your plans and i’ll give you my contact information!

hope you get back to your treatments soon– how unfair of your neurologist to just pull the rug out from under you. i’m sorry.

big hugs to you,
      alice[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Judy,
      I came to the conclusion years ago that to be a neurologist, one must be extremely arrogant, have no bedside manner, have absolutely no personality & be a poor listener. This goes back to my experiences back in 2002 & 2003 in 4 different hospitals. I spent 3 whole months down in Rochester, MN at Mayo & was visited every morning by a team of about 5 neuros, total doorknobs. If I had the time I would give numerous examples, but if one finds a good one they are a treasure. I was so grateful when I finally ended up with Dr. Parry at the UofM in Mpls. I haven’t had to see him now in 5 years, but what a kind & compassionate man, but what a gem.

Back to work

• Anonymous
      June 13, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Hello all .Finaly went back to work wednsday, after my God send ,six month layoff. While I was off ,I was able to do things on my schedule and rest when needed. For those who dont know me ,I got GBS on oct 13 of 2007. I have only had feet issues left. Well the fatigue has returned, And my feet isues are a little more noticeable, but I have to say arent as bad as they were 7 months ago, I just hope that going back full time doesnt bring my feet back to were they were. They arer slowley getting better these last few months. Yesterday after working on my feet all day( and the cummulation of the past three days ) my feet were quite fatiged. Gota work so I will just plug along and hope things still get better. I may go out today and buy a new pair of red wing shoes, for my old ones are pretty broke down in the sole, And I am also bummed about our red wing hockey team that failed in the last game. O well better get over that.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2009 at 1:22 am

Ron,

I am pleased to see in your post that you are able to return to work. While I am several years older I experienced GBS at about the same time as you (Late Sep 2007). I too have been left with the feet problem but even with the numbness I can still get around fairly well although it is rather uncomfortable. The fatigue problem also visits for short intervals for me. I can go a fewl months without noticing it and then it will hit for several days.

I know we all react differently with this condition, both during and then over the long recovery period. I met one fellow in his mid 50s who was back at work and he told me that he felt he was almost back to normal after 5 years. I recently met another sufferer who told me that he experience a miraculous recovery at 11 years. Both are somewhat at odds with what I have been told by some of the professionals–that you will probably reach the degree of improvement you can expect at one year. Your own experience seems to refute this.

Good luck with your return to work.

• Anonymous
      June 14, 2009 at 7:13 am

Hi Ron! Been wondering where you were at! Glad to see you posting and am glad to hear that you are working again! I will be praying that things get better as time goes by for you! I have problems standing on my feet a very long time also! So I know how you feel! Wishing you the best Ron and hope that in time things return back to normal for you! Keep fighting! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      June 18, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Congratulations Ron!

I went down on August 3 last year. All the way. Fortunately I bounced back fast and I went back to work on October 13. I couldn’t stand inactivity any longer. My stamina wasn’t there though and I couldn’t stand for long periods before the backs of my knees ached. I got those Dr. Scholls Gel Soles. Ooh baby did they help. I would also check into other steel toe manufacturers for comfort. I’m using Skechers right now because they are a lot more comfortable than Redwings. Can’t help you at all about the hockey thing, sorry.
      Cheers!
      Johnny Mac