B12 Vitamin

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 9:46 am

Hello,
      Just wondering how much of the B12 VIt most of you take? How many pills a day and the dosage amount.

Thank you for your help.
      parker0507/JB

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 9:59 am

Did your doc order B12, or are you supplementing on your own?? I know my multi has a high amt of B12 in it. My levels in my blood are good. I will check the dosage on the can when I get home. Thx!!! cara

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2007 at 12:08 pm

Taking B12 without taking a B complex is not recommended. It creates an imbalance with the other B vitamins. They should always be taken together, but up to two or three times more of one B vitain than another can be taken for a given disorder. Stricr vegetarians sometimes do not see signs of a deficiency because the body can store up to 5 years worth of B12 . Are you sure you have a deficiency? I am not saying you don’t, but sometimes you can start with a B complex several times a day and see if that alleviates your symptoms. I think my B’s helped me to sidestep the nerve damage with GBS.

GBS – Spring 1986
      Fall 2006

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2007 at 12:07 pm

My Dr. has me on 2cc of B-12 per month by injection. Blood test are done every 6 mos. So far no ill effects and he highly recommends it.

• Anonymous
      July 6, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Is taking a Multi Vit with a B12 good enough? Or should I get a B complex instead of the B12. I am already doing the Mulit Vit. I was just wondering If I should bump up my B’s and B12 seemed to be what people talked about.

Thank you so much,
      parker0507/JB

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2007 at 4:26 am

Parker,

By taking a multi-vitamin with B12 you are getting B12 in cobalamin form; meaning the body must break down the B12 before it can be absorbed into the blood…B12 by cobalamin usually results in approx 30% loss of the B12 with the stool.

I would suggest a vitamin B-complex which has all the DRA of B vitamins (over the counter at Walmart, Meijier, Kmart, etc), and vitamin B12 at a health food supply store in methylalamin logenze type tablets that go directly into your bloodstream. Most people take between 1000-2000mcg daily. Either would be fine since there is no daily required maximum limit on B12.

Best regards.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2007 at 10:28 am

I take a b complex vitamin and have been for years, without it I have more neuropathies, burning, weakness etc. It is called vital b 100, or the b-1 bomber by Dr.Michael Pinkus, very well known to the vitamin/ naturalpathy world. I’m sure you could look it up on line, however I do have the telephone number handy and the people there can explain a lot moe. I can’t live without it. It may take a little bit a time to feel the difference but I swear my life wouldn’t be the same w/out it.1-800-280-5590. I have my healthy friends even taking it and they love it.Worth a try. I usually don’t promote these things but it truly does make a difference.Wish you luck!

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2007 at 8:22 am

Hi,

All B vitamins are good for the nerves. However, too much vitamin B6 may be toxic to many of us causing neurological sensory feelings (Paresthesia). The DRA (daily recommended amount) is 100mg. However, we would probably need to exceed 300mg to get into the toxic levels (my opinion).

Jethro

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2007 at 12:43 pm

I have been taking a 100 mg capsule of B complex four times a day for years and it has not been toxic to me. Like I said in previous posts, one should not take a particular B vitamin without taking a B complex also so the others aren’t imbalanced. I think this is what has kept me from getting nerve damage and pain during my GBS. Most B’s are water soluable so the more liquids you drink, the more you get rid of them from your body. People that retain water probably need B6…people with whistle marks from smoking are lacking B2. Lots of little ways the body tells us what it needs. I think it is a lot safer to take B’s than many of the prescription medicines. The one that really scares me is vitamin K – that can do alot of damage if you don’t know what you are doing. It has to do with the clotting of the blood. I do not mess with that one.

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Carolyn –

what are whistle marks??

Also, sometimes my nails have bumps -running horizontally. does this meain anything??

Thax – u can also send me a PM if its easier for u.

Thx again

Cara

• Anonymous
      July 16, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Hi, Cara,
      Whistle marks are the little lines on the upper lip that show up when you go to whistle or pucker your lips. Women smokers usually have these because the smoking destroys their B’s.
      It is hard to know what type of bumps you are talking about. If it is like a ridge going across the nails, it might be a result of really extreme stress – either psychological stress or stress from an illness.
      If you would like to talk about this further, send me your phone number and a good time to call, Nail beading/lumps could also be a sign of rheumatoid arthritis. It just amazes me how many signs the body exhibits to tell us what we are doing wrong. And most of the time, there is a simple way to fix it.