Asthma Attack Brought Back GBS Resids

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 2:32 pm

About a week ago, my asthma flared up again. I have a wonderful pulmonologist but she worries about the state of my lungs and usually has me admitted to the hospital. After so many years in hospitals/nursing home I simply can’t do it again. So….some of the GBS resids are back. Am walking like Mel Brooks’ Frankenstein, with aches, pains and balance problems. Am back on prednisone but sleeping a great deal. Amazing how GBS sneaks up on us and frankly, damn annoying. One of life’s important lessons: no whining, lots of anger toward the disease, not our bodies.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Oh Marge ~ I am so sorry! I am so glad that you can sleep inspite of the prednisone. If I were there, I’d come and hold your hand . . . It really is tough when the residuals come back to bite us and not just in the butt:( Thank you for the beautiful reminder to “love our bodies” and direct the anger to the disease process. I’ll be praying that you will continue to be able to manage at home. hugs, hugs, hugs 🙂

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 4:15 pm

Marge,

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 6:00 pm

sorry to hear you’re back under the weather marge. i know what you mean about staying out of the hospital and how annoying it is to deal with asthma and gbs/cidp on top of your other problems. i’m glad you can at least get some sleep. take all the naps your body needs, we’ll be quiet!;) take care!:)

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 6:17 pm

Dear Marge,

Im thinking of you, holding you close.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 7:10 pm

Thanks so much, everyone. Have four or five books in my bed (one of the advantages of living alone) and going back to sleep.

Love,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2006 at 8:48 pm

Marge,

So sorry to hear you are feeling bad. I’m sending prayers for quick recovery your way.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 12:05 am

Do any of you disassociate (forget) the resids when you are healthier? I do. My psychotherapist believes that I cannot cope with loss of control of my body, my environment and my mind pushes itself to forget. This often is the result of post-traumatic stress order.

Several of you can remember minute details of GBS onset/rehab/healing. Is this common? Or is it more common to forget.

Can we conduct a small survey. I often think that doctors treat the psychological results of GBS/CIDP by throwing some pills at us and this treatment is simply not enough. Your comments, please.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 2:19 am

Yes, Marge after 5 mths, I think I really wanted to forget that I was ever sick from gbs…then I caught a cold and got stressed out and lo and behold, the residuals that had been quiet came back. I have throbbing in my head, and pinching pain in my fingers and legs ache, too. I think that we try so hard to forget that when it comes back the disappointment is hard to take. I think this brings on even more feelings of fear and stress, making it a vicious circle.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 10:55 am

Marge,

Sometimes I go for weeks feeling pretty good and then all it takes is a sick child to wear me out enough that the pain and numbness get worse and make me panic that it is all happening again. I was on so much moriphine that I have very blurry memories of my treatment during GBS onset, but I do remember some things (particularly the healing process) like they happened only a few minutes ago. The fear that it is happening all over agin then causes nightmares, additional stress and increased pain. It is a vicious cycle…

• September 14, 2006 at 5:40 pm

I’m only 8-9 weeks into/thru this but the past three days have been particularly nice. When I feel this good I do also forget what I have been going thru. As soon as i get to thinking it will all be okay very soon, the pain reminds me I cant overdo things just yet. One huge thing I wish I could let go of is hte fear I went thru. If I get a headache or a new feeling I have to try very hard not to allow myself to panic.

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2006 at 7:48 pm

Marge,

I have vague memories of some parts of my illness and early recovery. My husband acts as my “memory” for lots of things that happened during those times.

This is actually a fairly typical reaction for me during times of difficulty. I have “forgotten” most of the details of other stressful or sad times in my life.
      It seems to be my way of protecting myself.

My mind also tricks me into thinking I’m “normal” when I have a remission of GBS residuals. I start feeling and acting fine, and think I’m “over” it , then get another wave of residuals that brings me back to reality.

In a way, I’m grateful for this way of handling things. I get a lot of relief from feeling handicapped until the next bout happens.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2006 at 10:10 pm

That’s how I react too, Suzanne. My psychotherapist and I have been together since January 1999 when she began visiting me in the hospital. Since I could not leave the house yesterday, she came to see me.

We know each other so well and talking with her began to help clear out the brain fog. A lot of us take anti-anxiety and anti-depression drugs but [U]talk therapy[/U] relieves incredible amounts of anxiety and depression. It has allowed me to live alone, independent of outside help.

Regards,
      Marge

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2006 at 5:05 pm

Marge,

I’m glad you were able to get some relief by seeing your psychotherapist. I do hope the next week will be a better one for you. I’m sending you a private message, but I’m not so good at doing it yet, so let me know if you don’t get it.

Best wishes.