ascending paralysis, ascending recovery

• July 4, 2010 at 9:25 am

My recovery seems to be different from the ones written about in the documents sent to me.
      My GBS started to affect my legs first. I felt tingling in my feet before my hands. Then my legs became nearly paralyzed while the numbness creeped into my upper body, my eyes then had double-vision, arms tired, weak and finally hands became numb and prickley.
      Now that I am recovering, my legs have made the most progress as I am able to now walk short distances. However, my upper body that got hit harder is still very slow to recover. I can now drink from a glass with one hand (albeit a little messy) but tingling and numbness is still very present in my mid-riff and hands.

Is this peculiar? I have yet to see a doctor who understands the nuances of GBS and it’s varients, so I leave this to the experts on the forum. Happy Sunday!

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2010 at 8:29 am

If this forum has taught me one thing, that is, that we are all different. No one even the best doctor will be able to tell you how you will heal, what will come back first or the extent of healing. The rate, timing and amount of healing is different for each of us. We have no control over how we heal. Most of us with GBS do heal, maybe not completely but at least enough to function close to normal. When I look toward the future, the process for me seams to move a snail pace but looking to the past, I have come a long way in 5 months. Sure I am frustrated and I know that you are frustrated but progress is happening everyday. You feel terrible and you will continue to fell terrible but the degree of this feeling is a roller coaster ride. I wish you complete and fast healing.

• Anonymous
      July 5, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I can’t recall how long ago you were diagnosed; was it one month?

My GBS “presented” (too many medical shows and hospital visits) in a similar way. However, I regained strength in my upper body much faster than my lower extremities. So, we seem to be opposite there as it took at least 2 months before I could stand even using parallel bars.

Did you have PE or IVIG? Have you or are you going to PT and OT (occupational therapy)? I was an inpatient for two months at the Rehab Institute (after a month in the hospital) and I had PT, OT & speech therapy daily, with the exception of weekends. Perhaps occupational therapy can assist with your hands.

As Harry stated, we all seem to recover different abilities at different levels. There really isn’t much rhyme or reason to the healing process.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2010 at 3:39 pm

My GBS/CIDP started in my legs and went to my arms, then my head, and surrounded my torso. Thank God they caught it before it did as much harm as i can imagine it would have done. But my recovery is a bit different than any one I’ve read on here. At first it was like I was normal again. No pain, no fatigue, nothing. But through the years every symptom is getting worse.