Anyone tried CellCept?

• Anonymous
      May 23, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Mycophenolate (CellCept) is used with other medications to help prevent transplant organ rejection (attack of the transplanted organ by the immune system of the person receiving the organ) in people who have received kidney, heart, and liver transplants.
      My Neurologist seems to think that this drug may be better at suppressing my immune system and reducing inflammation than my current 20mg daily dose of prednisone. He says that going on this for 6 monthes might reduce symptoms and increase muscle strength. If anyone has tried this route, I’d love to hear from you.

• GH
      May 23, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’ve been on Mycophenolate Mofetil for about a year and a half at 1000 mg twice a day. I was started on prednisone, but that was tapered down to zero over about a year as I transitioned to the MM.

• May 25, 2012 at 5:10 am

I tried it for about half a year. It did not do much for me, but it does work well for others. I did not suffer any short-term ill effects from it.

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

My daughter has been on cell cept for about 2 1/2 years, one needs to allow 8 months or so for it to ‘take hold’. For about 1 1/2 years of the 2 1/2 years it was combined with plasma pheresis. A few months ago a new doc (new to us) listened to me about the fact that the perma cath had been in for over 3 years and gee don’t you think it could be taken out and we’ll see how she does on MM (cell cept) alone? The perma cath had grown into her tissue and had to be taken out under anesthesia. So far so good on the cell cept alone, but it’s only been a couple months. She still cannot walk after 4 1/2 years CIDP and we’ve given up hope for that and try to work around it. The hands are pretty good though, except really fine motor skills. To answer the question, yes, the cell cept is working, 1,000mg. 2 x day on an empty stomach. It’s expensive, hopefully you have good insurance.