Anyone here take muscle relaxers?

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2011 at 12:57 pm

To (re) introduce myself, I have GBS (1995).

I was on Lyrica (100mg 3x a day) for maybe 4 or so years, but this year I stopped taking it because my wife and I wanted to try for baby #2, and you should absolutely not conceive while on Lyrica. Stopping it was hell on earth, but we did get pregnant…..but now that I am off I’d rather not go back on if I can avoid it. But I certainly notice I have a lot more nerve pain without it.

I do take a pain medication, which does help….but I found I also get better relief taking it combined with a muscle relaxer.

[B]My question; what, if any, muscle relaxers do you take….and how much do they help your GBS/CIDP?[/B]

I was taking Skelaxin, and it helped, but it got way too expensive. Tizanidine gave me a bad allergic reaction; currently my neuro just prescribed Flexeril. Has anyone tried this one? Pros/Cons??

I’ve been trying to avoid the nerve pain medicines such as Lyrica, Cymbalta, etc because of the addictive/withdrawal properties.

• Anonymous
      November 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm

This is “old home week” on the forums. Welcome back!! ๐Ÿ˜€

I have to avoid muscle relaxers as much as possible as I only have one kidney, however, Valium has helped. It’s almost impossible to get a longterm prescription for Valium, but as I don’t have to take them daily, I can usually get a script.

I’m not if Tramadol is a muscle relaxer, but at times I’ve taken them for body pain. Sometimes my pain is from overexercising but I also have achy pain days which may or may not fall under GBS residuals.

Hope this helps!!

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      November 19, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I had severe GBS in 1994 and again in 2004, this time I had total paralasis for a couple months and told I would never walk again. After drastic treatment and along time of hard work I did walk again. I have had constant pain in my legs hands and feet. For the last 7 years I have been on tramadol (that to me is ridiculous) and it has been me that has asked for lower dosage (just enough to take the edge off so I can function). I just took muscle relaxers for a herniated disc which caused severe headaches 24/7 for two months. I took flexeril. I loved it, I didnt want to take it at first because I was afraid of the combination with the tramadol, but after 4 nights of taking it, it made a huge difference, it allows the body to heal at night and it helps you sleep better too. I have not been on here for a long time but wanted to post about acupuncture. Im tired of being on “toxic” drugs but I have so much pain that my body knows when Im late with a dose and the pain increases, acupuncture is my last hope. I will be doing a seperate post for it so look for it. Hope this helped. on a side note, I discontinued my muscle relaxer because Im sick of being at the mercy of drugs. I also loved taking ambien but that too felt like I was getting dumber while I took it. Both are still in my medicine cabinet though ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

MY experience….I’m in to this for 18 months now….lyrica has helped, but I think it’s probably poisonous to the liver AND when I try to dose down with my large dose tabs I do get very fidgety, especially at night….MM has helped a lot, works on my nerve/muscle pain and acts as a muscle relaxant for me…traditional method (think: Bob Marley) IS poisonous as well but is the fastest delivery method…… vaporizers are reported to greatly reduce toxins, especially tar…I find it irritating to the throat, but MUCH easier on the lungs….many people eating it as well, comes from the earth!

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Greetings Forum Family,

I have taken flexoril a while back and it seemed to help. In fact, I’m going to ask my new pain doc for a script. I’m also going to try to get something stronger when I have a really bad day with residuals. I just found out I have spinal stenosis and pain doc wants to give me a shot in spine and I just may do that. Also, I take Ambien but I’m a walking zombie anyway and with those left handed things too sweaty ๐Ÿ˜‰

Tina – I just found out I have polycystic kidney disease so I’m just learning what to take and what to not take. Would love if you could share some insight.

P.S. I wonder why gbfsi edited sweaty post???

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I think it was because the post ran an advertisment.

• Anonymous
      November 20, 2011 at 8:26 pm

[QUOTE=Chrissy]
      P.S. I wonder why gbfsi edited sweaty post???[/QUOTE]
      I had posted a pic of a high-quality, German-made vaporizer, I have no affiliation other than customer, sorry

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2011 at 5:55 pm

@ guppy2700…

What type of pain med do you take ???

i’m on lyrica 200 mg 3 x day and also baclofen ..

i also have flexeril when spasm get real bad i take the flerix also

my baclofen is 20 mg 3 x day

i was told by my neuro and family dr and pain mgnt that i’m maxed on lyrica and baclofen

still have considerable neuropathic pain

recently dxed with reflex sympathic dystrophy ( RSD ) as well

been searching for something to help .tried spinal cord stimulator ( SCS) was a night mare for me caused alot of pain.
      try get back to me soon thanks

• Anonymous
      December 22, 2011 at 4:04 am

First of all I would question being on Lyrica (pregabalin) since one of the listed adverse reactions is Guillain Barre Syndrome. I fought to stay off this med when it first came out. The doctor gets a med facts sheet with the medicine, if they read it they will find this…… Do a search for “Lyrica and Guillain Barre” and watch what pops up!!!

I take Baclofen 10mg- 1 tab am, 1 tab afternoon, and 2 tabs at night

• December 26, 2011 at 4:59 am

I take flexeril. Doesn’t do a darn thing for nerve pain, but it does relax things enough to quiet the pain a bit. And I say a bit because it is basically a band aid and it hasn’t even really helped with any back pain or muscle cramps I get. BUT being so sensitive to meds and this is something I have not reacted negatively to, I’ll stick with it since it does help a small amount.

interesting about lyrica! Definitely getting that info put into my records!