Any of you ever have sleepless nights?

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 3:55 am

Any of you ever have sleepless nights? Every single night my medication wears out 4 or 5 hours later and I wake up with the numbness and tingling driving me nuts.
      Leave husband in bedroom and go to den and get on computer and then try to fall back asleep on the sofa. I have not had a decent nights sleep in two years and used to love to sleep. Now I barely get any.
      Then all during the day I am nodding off here and there trying to stay awake.
      Just a question here! For those that have CIDP and are getting treatment. Did the numbness and tingling go away and you found yourself finally sleeping better?
      Or do you keep the numbness and tingling and have to live with it? I have only seen 4 hours of sleep a night.
      I wished I could fall asleep for 2 days and not wake up. Just sleep! Good decent sleep! I miss sleep! 😀

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 8:58 am

Hi Linda I am dealing with residuals from GBS and the tingling and humming in my hands and feet are still present. I also liked to sleep in. I usually hate to go to bed bc it takes awhile for me to fall asleep. So I stay up late and get good and tired and then try. Most times I’m up again at 6:30-7:00 am. Then after a few days of that, I zonk out at 10 pm and wake at 8 am. Don’t know if it’s the meds I’m on or just the way I’m gonna be or just temporary. Not helpful, I know, but you are not alone in this:)

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 10:04 am

hi Linda, I am like smiley. I had GBS 25 years ago but still have residuals and I too don’t sleep well. I try to stay up as long as I can and get really sleepy. Then I hit the bed. It sometimes still takes a while to fall asleep. Most of us feel our residuals more when we lie down. I think that they are there all day but when we relax and are quiet, we notice them even more.

I am an early riser so if I get 6 hours sleep, that is a good night. I too nod off here and there during the day if I sit and do nothing. I am always tired. When I was on Gabapentin, I did sleep better. It helped with the residuals and when I would fall asleep, it was a deep sleep that left me refreshed. You have considered going on it so this may help your sleeping issue.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 11:07 am

Linda,

I have not had problems sleeping with CIDP until this month. I started having the pain (new development, I never had it before) and it has been keeping me up at night or waking me up as well. So far I have not found anything that helps me with the pain (was going to try Gabapentin but am holding off for now, you might have replied to my other post about that). Sorry I don’t have any ideas but I am hoping someone else will have some for both of us!

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 11:19 am

Having a terrible time sleeping, but it’s not consistent. Usually go to bed about 1030 and watch Jay Leno for 15 or 30 minutes depending how bad it is. But then many times I lie awake until one o’clock, get up and take a temazepam. I don’t like to take it because the next day I feel drowsy. Other times I go to sleep by midnight. I envy Carol because as soon as we turn out the light she falls asleep within five minutes, invariably. I’m not sure if there’s any connection with the CIDP because I don’t have any pain or tingling, just numbness. When I’m resting I’m only aware of the numbness in my hands. It’s like wearing a tight leather glove. My feet are so far gone that I don’t feel anything there.
      Of course, my sleep problems might also be age-related but I’m not sure. I wish the days to come back when I can go to sleep right away and wake up fully rested in the morning but I’m afraid those times are gone forever.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 2:05 pm

My husband falls asleep at 8 every night to wake up at 5:30 every morning. Ohh that lucky buzzard! I envy him some times watching him snoring away while I sit there staring at the walls. But he works and is so tired when he gets home.
      Me being sick, I can’t work but still try to do things all during the day. But I wished I could see one perfect night of sleep.
      Well! I guess I’m not alone on this one and feel better that I know many of us have sleep deprived nights. Just wished I had a cure for us all and we all got good sleep. And also wish we were all well, not having to deal with being sick. Thanks for sharing with me.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 7:41 pm

LindaH,
      I have CIDP and I also have had a problem sleeping because of pain in my feet and legs [Restless Leg Syndrome doesn’t help either]. I have talked this over with my neurologist and he proscribed some meds to help me get off to sleep. The problem is that it will work for a month or two and then I have to switch to something else.

Have you talked this over with your neurologist and pressed for something to help knock back the pain so you can sleep?

Jim C

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2008 at 8:46 am

Ohh yes! I have been telling them about my sleeping problem. They placed me on Cymbalta and that kept me up 3 days. Now Effexor and that makes my numbness worse. What’s up with these weird side effects in the new medications. I have trouble taking them.
      My medication I am on now works and puts me to sleep. But after 5 hours it wears off and I am up like a bomb exploded. It does it every single night. Last night I actually slept though. Probably because of 3 restless nights. So the exhaustion took over.

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 10:52 am

All the time , thats why i am grumpy 😡 ( well its an excuse eh). i am also very jealous of anyone that can just sleep. sometimes i would kill for a good nights sleep or maybe just a little shut eye;) but i have also noticed that when i do get very relaxed…..ie at the point when you think you are just about to fall asleep..ZAP-something hits the nerves hard and i am sure i have jumped off the bed. its like when you see them hitting someone with the paddles of a defibralator. now i am so used to it that i ignore it and know that i am geting close to sleep. it isn’t just the amount of sleep , its also the quality of sleep. i know i have had a good nights sleep if i have had a dream . but i don’t dream often or don’t remember. some nights i just close my eyes until the morning….but i can hear everything.
      ps also noticed that when you are really tired and can’t sleep if you put ear plugs in …..then its like a sudden dose of sleeping pills. must be due to blocking out stimulation i guess. now anyone thats read this should be well asleep….. so sssshhhhh, ZAP BANG…lol

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 3:58 pm

You hit the nail on the bucket! 😀 That’s exactly what is happening. I can zonk right out and go into a very deep sleep. And then get zapped with the defiberlator! Then I am up and pacing the floors or go in den and flip TV on and stay up all night long! I just recently had a sleep study done. Poor guy kept telling me to go to sleep! 😀 When I did go to sleep, I took my meds and they noticed that I don’t go into REM. Which is the important part of sleeping. Even when I was going to sleep, they said in the study that I would wake up every 15 seconds and only had 1 hour of sleep but never reached REM. I never dream anymore and used to have good dreams. They have me scheduled for a CPAP Study now. Going to get fit for a CPAP machine. Sleep Apnea. But it’s a pain! Maybe the CPAP will work and help me out. Don’t know! Hope it does anyway! Thanks for sharing!

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Hi

I wish for a good sleep without drugs, etc. I have used ear plugs for a number of years now (can’t sleep at all without them!). They do help block outside stimuli, but for me it is the “noise” in my body that causes the problem.

I have hyperalgesia in my back. I can’t put pressure, anything (even clothes sometimes) on it, without causing a burning sensation that can last up to 30 minutes. That, along with the numbness, tingling, pins and needles and electrical shocks in my feet , calves, arms and hands (altho, to be fair, can’t feel too much in my toes anymore!) – what I term “noise” definitely keeps me awake.

My drug regime helps tone it down enough for sleep. IVIg helps tone it down. The thing is, some nights are better than others, no matter what. I know that we all have difficulty sleeping from time to time, but not 3-4 nights out of 7. When I do go to sleep, I don’t dream anymore. I put it down to the meds.

You have to get something to help you sleep more consistently. It is imperative – no one can survive without rest. The docs will help you – using your journal will help for this, it gives them a sense of the issue. The sleep study sounds like it is interesting.

How many of you use the CPAP machine? It seems fairly common, certainly amongst people I know with lupus.

Debs

• Anonymous
      August 22, 2008 at 3:58 am

I know I am one that will be using it soon. I hate having to take drugs just to get to sleep. And Deb! Any little noise I hear including my buzzing body can wake me up. Feel like I have a tic tock clock inside my body that is keeping me from sleeping. And I used to be able to sleep so good until 3 years ago. Now I’m a night owl!

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2008 at 4:03 am

As Davyt saids I get to sleep very quikly went I´m in bed, but seconds or minutos after
      is like someone put me defibralator paddles and apply 100 volts, making me jump f bed.
      If is not this are cramps or strong shaking waves in legs and arms. That is the whole nigth,
      si I´m in bed from 23:00 to 05:00, having to get of bed 3 or 4 times during nigth to have a walk
      to get rid of the paresthesias.
      Tomorrow I go to a sychologist to see if I get eny help.
      I know he will put me on more pills to sleep.
      Not good, already tried them and is even worst.

Pablo,

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2008 at 8:03 am

Hi Linda:

With my weekly pulse steroid prescription, I have about 2-3 sleepless nights per week.. This can really raise havoc on things… I don’t take any sleeping type pills.. Maybe I should, but think I’m already taking enough pills.. Merry Christmas, and Peace on Earth… Dean

• Anonymous
      December 17, 2008 at 6:13 pm

As Davyt saids I get to sleep very quikly went I´m in bed, but seconds or minutos after
      is like someone put me defibralator paddles and apply 100 volts, making me jump f bed.
      If is not this are cramps or strong shaking waves in legs and arms. That is the whole nigth,
      si I´m in bed from 23:00 to 05:00, having to get of bed 3 or 4 times during nigth to have a walk
      to get rid of the paresthesias.
      Tomorrow I go to a sychologist to see if I get eny help.
      I know he will put me on more pills to sleep.
      Not good, already tried them and is even worst.

Pablo,