Anti mag help

• February 22, 2017 at 5:43 pm

My husband has been unwell for many months and we still don’t have a diagnosis. He started with symptoms of tingling and numbness in his hands, which has now also spread from his feet up to his knees as well. He has joint pain, extreme fatigue and night sweats. Last year blood tests revealed IGM paraprotein, but it is at a low level at the moment. He was recently found to have ‘strong positive’ (>70,000) levels of anti mag but having recently been for nerve conduction studies they said there was no nerve damage. We are pleased there is no damage but struggling to understand anti mag as there is little information out there. It just seems odd that there is such a high level of anti mag but no neuropathy/damage. We haven’t seen the consultant yet but can anyone help explain this? Just wish we had some answers as to what is wrong 🙁

• February 22, 2017 at 9:52 pm

has he had a lumbar puncture? That’s sure way to diagnose CIDP.

• February 22, 2017 at 9:53 pm

I think you may find some of the answers you seek in this thread:
      https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/topic/anti-mag-treatment-update

Please add you additional comments there too so that they may help others with similar conditions.

• February 23, 2017 at 3:42 am

Thanks for the links. He hasn’t had a lumbar puncture yet. He is also struggling with extreme headaches which occur several times a week and make him feel very unwell. I will keep searching to learn about anti mag but there is so little out there. Perhaps it is just in the early stages, hence no nerve damage, although his levels are obviously very high. Confusing!

Tagged: