anti-inflammatory natural remedy

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2008 at 3:45 pm

[QUOTE=blskat1]My MD put me on fish oil tablets, stress b 12 tas, and Cq10 tabs, Calicium tabs, Folic Acid. Stated all of these assists in rebuilding of the myelin sheath.[/QUOTE]
      Beth posted this a few days ago on another thread. The same day I read this I found an article through ScienceDaily about the anti-inflammatory effects of Omega -3 fish oil. Since inflammation is a part of the equation in CIDP, I went out yesterday and bought a bottle of 1200 mg tablets I started taking right away. Normally I don’t take natural remedies unless I know more or less what they do. I hope this is going to be beneficial. Here’s the article:[QUOTE=ScienceDaily]Omega 3 fatty acids in dietary fish oil are reported to have anti-inflammatory and anti-thrombogenic and anti-arrhythmic effects in humans, but the biochemical basis for these beneficial health effects is not well understood. Now a University of Michigan biochemist reports that fish oil significantly diminishes the production and effectiveness of various prostaglandins, naturally occurring hormone-like substances that can accentuate inflammation and thrombosis.
      Dr. William L. Smith described his findings on April 4 at Experimental Biology 2006 in San Francisco. His presentation was part of the scientific program of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB).
      Dietary fish oil causes its prostaglandin-lowering effects through three different mechanisms, says Dr. Smith.
      First, the much fewer prostaglandins are made from omega 3 fatty acids as compared to the other class of fatty acids in the body, the omega 6 family of fatty acids that originate in the diet from leafy vegetables and other plant sources.
      Second, the omega 3 fatty acids compete with omega 6 fatty acids for the same binding site on the COX 1 enzyme that converts the omega 6 fatty acids to prostaglandin (which is why the COX 1 enzyme and its COX 2 cousin are the targets of anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen). The more omega 3 fatty acids present to block the binding sites, the fewer omega 6 fatty acids are able to be converted to prostaglandin.
      Third, although omega 3 fatty acids also are converted to prostaglandins, the [U]prostaglandins formed from omega 3 are generally 2 to 50 times less active than those formed from the omega 6 fatty acids from dietary plants[/U]. The biochemical basis of other benefits of dietary fish oil — for example, omega 3 fatty acids’ impact on neuronal development and visual acuity — are probably due to effects on biochemical pathways regulating nerve transmission. Understanding the different pathways through which omega 3 works to convert prostaglandin helps explain why the plant-based omega 6 fatty acids don’t simply provide the same benefits. Because of omega 3 fatty acids’ known benefits to health, especially cardiovascular health, Dr. Smith’s advice is simple: eat more fish.[/QUOTE]
      (unterline by me)

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2008 at 5:56 pm

Keep us posted on the fish oil. I’m always open to any suggestions, especially when it is natural as opposed to chemical. Thanks for being the guinea pig.
      JayDee

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2008 at 5:59 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Thanks Norb, for posting this.
      I started taking fish oil supplements about a year ago because, with the exception of tuna from a can and greasy batter slathered English style fish & chips, i do not like fish, at least not oily fish like salmon which is the best source.
      It’s good to know it will help with our other ‘issues’ as well.
      Also read an article lately which said that the recommended dosage of Vitamin D of 400 Units is not sufficient and should be at least 1400 to aid in the uptake of Calcium to help guard against bone loss. Wish i could site the article, will look around to see what i can see.
      Thanks again,
      V[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Just to add my note, I also take Fish Oil and have taken it since I was diagnosed. I also added a separate tab of Cod Liver Oil as this is very beneficial to the immune system. For those folks not taking Fish oil, it is a beneficial supplement to the diet for your cardiac health as well. Take care, Gabrielle

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 5:52 am

Does it taste like fish? I mean the smell and taste of fish will literally make me sick to my stomach so while I’d like to try out the fish oil supplements if there is even a hint of fish smell/taste that might come wafting up from my stomach it will make me upchuck… ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

(I think that’s a learned thing, my mom says I used to like fish as a child)

And once again my Dad the chemist is hounding me to add more Vitamin E to my diet as he says it is essential to remyelination.
      ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 9:07 am

Nope not at all Julie. If I was burping up fish taste I wouldn’t take them at all. They don’t smell like anything nor taste like anything. I do know I am healthy as a horse, with one little exception:) Try it, you’ll like it! And your dad is right too….

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 11:25 am

I read somewhere online that if you notice a smell, you can put the tablets in the freezer and take them frozen. They will thaw out in your stomach. Just want to say also that there are disclaimers that say if you regularly take NSAIDS or are on a prescription blood thinning medication you should talk to your doctor before taking fish oil supplements.

• Anonymous
      March 15, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Julie, aren’t you lucky Peace Corps did not post you to Thailand. Fish is a popular staple there and fish sauce is used in every meal. At the open air market near where we lived fish was always sizzling on the many grills its smell noticeable no matter where you walked. Below pictures we took there.

Like the others were assuring you, other than the humongous size of the fish oil capsules they should not be any problem for you.
      Take care

[IMG]http://www.ourbluemarble.us/forum/fish2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.ourbluemarble.us/forum/fish.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 1:34 am

Along with fish oil tabs, you might look into using Smart Balance butter spread. It has plant sterols and high in omega 3, 6 etc. I have been using it(since I can’t live without butter on everything) since aug 05 and I love it. and I’m the one who is picky about butter flavor-I just love the Real butter taste.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 4:50 am

Norb – very lucky, I was in a landlocked country that didn’t eat fish at all unless it came out of a can… Pilchards w/ mustard etc. YECH! It’s such a stupid thing for me to not like but I have to tell you a funny story… I had a tooth pulled about three years ago and almost as soon as the tooth was out of my mouth I started craving fish like you wouldn’t believe. I actually had to stop on the way home and pick up some fish at the grocery store because I was craving it so badly. I came home, ate my fish and the next day I went back to hating it. Weird huh?

Nice to hear the Smart Balance has some benefit, I’ve been using that for years now.

I’ve got an appointment w/ my neuro on Friday so I’ll ask him if I can take the fish oil tablets in combination w/ my other stuff. I hope so, I need an anti-inflamatory drug that doesn’t eat a hole in my stomach. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 12:45 pm

Green tea is also supposed to aid inflammatory conditions.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 4:05 pm

[QUOTE=Julie] I was craving it so badly. I came home, ate my fish and the next day I went back to hating it. Weird huh? [/QUOTE]

That’s the strangest thing I ever heard ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I have a friend with MS who loves sushi and she “justifies” eating this frequently as a source of fish oil to help remyelination. I like her thinking. If only she could also incorporate chocolate into this…..

My internist also suggested fish oil tablets to me because of remyelination and because of cholesterol effects. He said that some people cannot take these because of the taste and recommended Flaxseed oil capsules instead. These are also a good source of omega-3 and 6. This might be better for Julie. When I was looking for that, I also saw one brand of fish oil capsules that promised “no fish burps”! I started taking the flaxseed oil kind.

WithHope for cure of these diseases.

• Anonymous
      March 16, 2008 at 8:54 pm

Does anyone know where I can find reputable info on these vitamins for children?

Thanks,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2008 at 7:43 am

To all,

My mother has RA and a small heart problem. After the cardio. dr. told her to take the fish oil pills (1 in morning, 1 in night) her constipation totally went away.

I had to have a lower scope done and the dr. told me I have to take Merilax EVERYDAY. Guess what, I have not taken a single dose of it but take a fish oil about every other day. I can’t take it every day, it was too much on my system.

They do not taste at all.

Kelly,
      I was buying the expensive vitamins for Dell at the health food store but he would not eat them. They tasted fine to me (children’s flavor) but he hated them. I just bought Flinstone with extra iron. I’m like you, I don’t know what to give him.

He’s on 99.9% pure calcium (liquid) and I give him 2 of the vitamins.

If you do find a vitamin that will not break the bank and Emily likes, pls. let me know.

Love, Lori

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2008 at 11:11 am

[QUOTE=WithHope].. I also saw one brand of fish oil capsules that promised “no fish burps”! .[/QUOTE]
      I bought mine at Sams and there are no “fish burps” – guaranteed. Carol can attest to that. She’s taking them also and she dislikes anything that is fishy smelling and tasting.

P.S. The gelcaps from Sam’s Club are “enteric coded” which might make all the difference.

• Anonymous
      March 25, 2008 at 10:51 pm

Julie,
      I will confirm what Gab says, No fish taste at all. I’ve been taking them for a long time. Go for it. Surprise your Dad! Feel healthy!
      Mary Ann

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 6:35 pm

I take multi omega from Swanson.Available at swansonvitamins.com.Very inexpensive and highest quality.I have it from good authority that flaxseed is not the best for us because of bioavailability. So eat the fresh caught salmon or take the fish oil

at ease

JOE F

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 5:42 am

You aren’t going to believe this. I had my MRIs of my brain and spine on Wednesday and to help them distinguish my cervical from thoracic vertebrae they taped a little “thing” on the back of my neck. Well after three hours in that tube with my head reverberating with each cha-ching of the machine I completely forgot about it, and apparently they did too. In fact, the next time I thought about it was 2 am the following day when I woke up feeling something dripping down the back of my neck. I went in the bathroom to rip off the tape and ‘thing” and immediately started throwing up – they used a FISH OIL CAPSULE. Everything I touched on the way from the bed to the bathroom smelled like fish, the bed, my husband’s shirts, the walls I bounced off of, and practically the entire bathroom, I had to wash my hair 4 times and open all the windows in the house while I scrubbed everything four times with citrus wet wipes. The smell is so pervasive that you can still catch a whiff of it now, two days later. Oh my god if I was ever tempted to try fish oil capsules that’s completely over now, I’ll drink gallons of green tea before I even open the bottle.

It figures doesn’t it, of all the things they could use and forget about… :rolleyes:

P.S. I think its very cool to get a CD with my MRI scans on it as I’m walking out the door – welcome to the digital age!

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2008 at 12:19 pm

๐Ÿ˜ฎ Yuk – must be Karma