Answers to their questions

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 12:37 pm

Question: What do you mean by extreme pain ?

Answer: Imagine the worst toothache you have ever had. Got that picture ? Now imagine every pore of your skin feeling that way.

Question: What do you mean your skin hurts ?

Answer: The sheet feels like a 80 pound sheet of sandpaper being dragged across my legs every time you move it. STOP FOOLING WITH THE DAMN SHEETS.

Quaetion: Does the morphine really help ?

Answer: smile

Question: How come you don’t want your legs massaged anymore ?

Answer: Look at the bottle of lotion, do you see that it says “skin tightening forumla ?

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 1:07 pm

[B]Good Answers, Good Answers.[/B]

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Does morphine really help? DOES morphine REALLY help? DOES MORPHINE REALLY HELP????? ……………………. Aaaaaaaaahhhh, it
      r e a l l y, really does….:D

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 7:41 pm

mike,

spoken as a man of experience. brings back horrible memories. i think i survived cuz the pain was so great it numbed my brain which wasn’t doing too well to start. my first dose of neurontin gave such relief that i can feel its effect like it was yesterday. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 20, 2006 at 9:00 pm

Hi,

I remember asking the nurse if I could get some pain relief other then morphine one day. Just had to get off that stuff so I could defend myself aginst the healthcare. Sure, I’ll check the chart, and see what the doc will let you have. Comes back and says I can give you 2 tylanol if you want? Huh?? That’s all that was allowed by orders. Talk about one extream to the other. The doc and I had a talk, and we settled on a middle ground to start, and a lesser pain med to use as a choice at times.

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2006 at 7:51 pm

When I hear others talk about pain I wonder if I just had it really good or if my case was so bad that I got a whole hell of a lot more than most. My Neuro said of the 300+ cases of GBS he was involved with / treated, I was the second to worst that lived. That being said………

They gave me nothing for pain until I came back from where ever I was and contact could be made through blinking. they had told my brother that they knew I was in “10+” pain but that by not giving me anything for it, it might force me to come back to the here and now etc. ( I had been out for 5 days and they had prepared my brother were to pull the plug if the brain scan showed no signs on Monday morning )

When I came back and finally twitched my eye enough to let them know I was there, they gave me the morphine right away. On the next day they put me on the duragesic ( sp ? ) patches…( which I was told strong enough to sedate a horse ) and the morphine shots every 4 to 6 hours.

Even in acute care s few weeks later and on through in patient rehab, they were pretty open about pain meds. Besides the morphine every 4 hours, the duragesic patches and the neurontin, I was able to have the 10/325 percocets up to 5 times a day.

I was on all of these through about day 60 or so when they started to ween me off the morphine.

I do however remember asking who would be coming on for shift change to see who would be giving me morphine injesctions. I would suffer through an hour or so if I knew certain nurses would be coming on. See there were those who injected s l o w e l y, and then there were the ones who would smile and ask…” Are you Ready for liftoff ? ”

YEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAA

• Anonymous
      May 27, 2006 at 1:32 pm

The Other Mike-
      You gave me a laugh I sorely needed. Been in severe nerve pain for 5 weeks. Had brand of IVIG changed-my log of brands and notes on side effects are screaming this must be the culprit.The pain has crepted into my left wrist/hand and have to hold it next to my body. The neuro said it was neurapathy from CIDP.
      Okay-I’m on 100 mg. Fentayl pain patch and up to 6 Vicodin a day but not the strong ones. I try so hard not to take the pills and the pain patch level has been the same for 4 years so I’m pretty tolerant of it by now.
      The last two trips to the ER had the doctors rolling their eyes at me (and they really did do that””) thinking here’s one druggie coming in for her high.
      I was told to copy my neuro and pain doc notes to carry in my handbag-think I will. Any other ideas???
      I now know how to handle the weekends because I’ve done it before and can again if pain blows a 10++++.There’s a place in my head I go to that is so safe from the pain.[SIZE=”3″][/SIZE]]