Alternatives complimented my recovery.

• Anonymous
      March 27, 2009 at 10:56 pm

I am an acupuncturist. When my symptoms began. I did some research and figured out what it was. I took lots of hot jetted tub baths and got acupuncture right away. Acupuncture is great for neurolgical dxs.

I am new to having GBS but might actually have CIDP. I got treatment while I was in my most acute phase of the first attack of what was dx as GBS. That evening of my most acute phase of the GBS, i broke out in a sweat on the table during treatment, the symptoms felt worse shortly and then I went to bed and woke up feeling totally normal. My symptoms would come back in milder different forms but with more treatments they would go away. ..I never had to be admitted into a hospital, or do any allopathic therapies. It was after my acute phase that went to the neurologist who dx me with GBS. I did lose my right achilles tendon reflex. My case was mild, but I do believe that had to do with the acupuncture. I was in a lot of pain, was having trouble walking, was numb in my hands, feet, face and at times my entire outside body. I had some SOB, a feeling a slurred speach, all over weakness and began to feel as it was moving inward. …Then I got lazy with my treatments. I only did about 4-5 tx.

Gradually I was feeling well enough that I stopped. Now 1 year later -Many symptoms are back now so I am just about to start up treatment again ,,,if I have CIDP… it sure beats -predisone and immune suppressors. I am back to see my neurologist soon.

I hope my story helps. Feel free to ask me questiosn about Acupuncture anytime. I lived in China and have been practiticing for 12 years now. I saw people on the forum unsure about some of these alternatives… I hope I can help answer questions.

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Hi Jessica!

I’ve never tried acupuncture, but I heard it worked wonders for many people. In my case, I was hospitalised when I had GBS, but I started doing simple yoga exercises during my last days in hospital. I then continued to practice yoga and I believe it helped me a lot. It makes my residual symptoms disappear. If I feel good, then like you I become lazy and I stop doing yoga and eventually I feel worse so I have to start again! It’s amazing how much alternative therapies can help the body heal itself, I think they should teach them in hospitals.

best wishes

• March 30, 2009 at 8:28 pm

Hi Jessica,
      I noticed that you mentioned you lived in China. There is a particular variant that exists in China. Not sure if it is specifically hereditary or based on a location. I seem to remember it might have been a particular area, not sure. You may want to research it in the event it could help in your diagnosis. you may even be able to find info on this sight under search, it may have been discussed here???? Do you think acupuncture would be helpful for herniated discs and degenerative arthritis in the spine? How often do you have to go back? (for me, not Kevin, I do not have cidp) Good luck with your dx.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I have been wondering about getting accupuncture or reflexology. My feet are the only involved area at this point. I have progressed from walker to ambulation non aided. I walk like a duck, but hey I walk without a cane. My feet are still numb, and clumpy feeling. They feel swollen at the end of the day, but do not look swollen. I am having more pain now as I am starting to get feeling and more movement in the muscles, so they feel tight and I have to stretch feet and ankles and legs often during the day. Just wondering if you thought accupuncture may help, I am on neurontin and this helps, but I hate taking any kind of medicine.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2009 at 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=Carolmlee]I have been wondering about getting accupuncture or reflexology. My feet are the only involved area at this point. I have progressed from walker to ambulation non aided. I walk like a duck, but hey I walk without a cane. My feet are still numb, and clumpy feeling. They feel swollen at the end of the day, but do not look swollen. I am having more pain now as I am starting to get feeling and more movement in the muscles, so they feel tight and I have to stretch feet and ankles and legs often during the day. Just wondering if you thought accupuncture may help, I am on neurontin and this helps, but I hate taking any kind of medicine.[/QUOTE]

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. My chiropractor has been a lifesaver for me. She keep those nerve pathways straightened out. Also she got me in touch with a massage therapist who helps keep my muscles from going nuts, ie. spasms, stiffness, pain. I also have residual foot issues/pain and hate taking medications. It has been 2 years since my dx and i’ve really been cutting down on my nerontin but it’s a slow process. Hope to be off it soon.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2009 at 5:43 pm

I think acupuncture has helped my recovery in my quest to run. I have been given cold laser at the same time. I was willing to try anything because the doctors know very little.

Jaymes