Abdominal muscle spasm and pain

• February 5, 2017 at 8:31 am

I’m 10 years out with CIDP. I have significant pain in my feet and legs. I’m a university professor, but have had to go on half-time medical leave.

In the past year, there have been three new developments: loss of appetite and weight, increased fatigue, and a new kind of pain. This pain is associated with some odd kind of abdominal spasm. I will be laying in bed, maybe getting a few twitches in my limbs, when suddenly my stomach muscles tighten, pulling all of my limbs inward. Then, nothing. Everything is relaxed and back to normal. Wait, a little hint of a twitch. Then a stronger twitch where I hold the stomach muscles in for a few seconds, voluntarily. Then relaxed. A minute later: “Ughhhhhhh,” I involuntarily moan as my stomach flexes, and I go a little fetal on the bed.

Then the guttural bursts start, sort of as if I was being punched in the stomach. If my wife is not in the house, I sometimes let loose with a long cry, moan, whimper, or yelp. The best thing to do is to get out of bed and shake it off. Vaping some MJ helps. The opiates I take on a strict schedule, so I don’t know how much effect they have at any given time.

What kind of pain am I experiencing here? My usual pain feels like I am standing in 15″ of cool water, with a faint electrical charge humming in the background. This new pain is less constant, is associated with abdominal spasms or flexing, and doesn’t produce any hot/cold/electrical pulses, tingles, or bursts.

As I mentioned above, this pain started in the past year, along with decreased appetite and much greater fatigue than in the past.

[I started out with IVIG in the hospital, then continued it for two months at home. It was discontinued at that point, and I’ve met with three different neurologists at the Mayo Clinic and a local university hospital to ask if I should start taking it regularly, like so many people in this forum seem to do. But, each neuro said the risks outweigh the possible benefits.]

• February 6, 2017 at 9:06 am

The abdominal pain is in the muscles, and radiates outward in a single spasm, as if pulling me into a ball. There is no gastrointestinal aspect to this at all.

• February 10, 2017 at 1:13 pm

Hi. I’m 4 years out with GBS. Have you ever had any trauma to where the pain is centered? I tried to do some yardwork (very slowly) a few months after returning home from being hospitalized and I had similar pain in my rib cage. I had no idea why and was scared enough to go to Urgent Care. Nothing came of it except a prescription for pain easers.
      I finally remembered that I had cracked a rib on one side playing hacky-sack several years earlier, and the same on the other side hitting a tree while sledding…30 years ago. (I’m usually a bookworm, but I do have tomboy moments.)
      It has been many months since I’ve had that severe pain. I learned to stop what I’m doing at the moment and force myself to relax. Now I only get short “reminder” twinges..
      That is neither advice nor a cure, it is just what I’ve done. I am very curious about why any pain would resurface after so many years. Silly molecules!

• CC
      February 12, 2017 at 9:30 am

I get that spasming also. 15 years of cidp, diagnosed 10 years ago after being about bedridden. I take a lot of vitamin supplements because I don’t absorb them properly from what food I eat. It seems to happen more when I slack off on the supplements because I hate taking a handful of pills in the morning, but as you well know, we need it to keep going. Get your Bs, D, folic acid, potassium, etc, checked. And for the record I do subq immuglobulin every 2 weeks. So much better than IVIG. Good luck!

• March 12, 2017 at 12:31 pm

I have probably the exact same thing right now though it is part of a group of spasms from my neck to my groin. It makes me nauseous. I find if I press in my umbilical area for at least a minute it will relax. I know this is completely counterintuitive but it does end the cramp way earlier than its natural course.

• March 12, 2017 at 12:54 pm

I was about to say that it’s nice to know that there are others who have experienced this. But, oops, that would could also mean that I’m happy that others suffer the same way I do. Nope. Not what I want to convey at all.

How can I say this, then? That I’m glad I’m not crazy? That it is good to know that these symptoms are part of the illness?

Thanks for sharing this info with me, and I am very sorry for your pain.