A Silly Test for Neuropathy

• July 21, 2017 at 8:32 pm

So, while I was Google’ing, I found this on another forum. It’s supposed to be a test that someone’s doctor did for neuropathy.

Can you put your arms outstretched and walk heel to toe in total darkness? Make sure that you have someone nearby to catch you!

I cannot. I almost fell on my face! I cannot do most things that require balance and I walk with a cane sometimes, rarely a walker. (Mostly for long stretches outdoors). In the house I am constantly grabbing walls and counters, etc. In the shower I just lean against the wall because otherwise I will definitely fall over.

I also zig zag when walking down the street. This is usually stopped by walking with the walker, but since I rarely bring it out, I am just all over the place.

Anyone else?

• GH
      July 22, 2017 at 1:08 am

I don’t get why you think it is “silly.” It is a difficult test, but tests for balance are a standard tool of neurologists.

• B
      July 25, 2017 at 11:57 pm

I have a series of balance exercises from my PT, and I can do them with eyes open or closed depending on how my body is performing that day. Balance is comprised of sensory, visual and vestibular. Taking out visual by closing your eyes tests the other two, and can help improve vestibular. (sensory can’t be improved by exercise).

• August 5, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I’m 60. I tried it. I can’t take more than 1,2 step forward. Is this test specifically for neuropathy? I have near zero reflexes, on my lower reflex tests.