2 Year Mark-Still Standing!

• October 31, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hello all!

October 17th marked 2 years since I was diagnosed with GBS. I’m now 25 yrs old, and have learned to stop and smell the roses (as someone on this forum said to me awhile back). I remember when it first happened at 23 yrs of age. I had a good job with great pay, financing my own car, paying my own bills, and even being able to help my parents out. Just living the youthful life! And one morning I woke up and was paralyzed from the neck down and could not talk. Going from being an athlete and working out regularly, to being paralyzed, to being treated and going to therapy, to losing my job, to depending on my parents to care for me and take on bills and things I once took care of, and a whole lot of pain and weakness and other issues…it’s been a journey full of change and maturity. I know many have gone through this way longer than I have, but the drastic change this brings in your life, you really can’t describe it. Losing friends, even some family seem to have forgotten about you and what you’re going through. I’m thankful that I have God foremost and my parents and true and few friends and family that love me! Some look at you as if you are not experiencing any pain or weakness or anything at all. I say, don’t pay attention to them. The more you focus on people and if they believe you are not, the more you’ll drive yourself crazy. I can only speak for myself. But, my focus is on trying my best to live the best life I can with this syndrome. There are many struggles everyday, every second, pain and weakness, it hasn’t stopped. But I’m grateful to be alive! I’ve learned to never take things for granted and to smell the roses. I never thought anything to just grab my toothbrush and brush away. But now the struggle of doing it, I’ve learned to be grateful. Someone doesn’t have hands to do it, but I can even if it brings about pain. Every single step to walk hurts like someone is wringing my legs like a towel, but someone else doesn’t have legs. I grateful for my painful legs. To go from not being able to walk, to a wheelchair, and now a walker and cane, I’m thankful. I just want to encourage anyone who will listen. Take time to just be thankful for everything you have and are able to do, even if it’s just being able to take in a deep breath without pain. Someone else took their last breath a second ago and died. But we’re still here! I was so independent and it was hard to depend on my parents for every move. But I’m so thankful for their love and patience. Be thankful for those that help you and let them know how much you appreciate them. Even if you lose some friends, keep those close that actually care about you, even if it’s one person or the cat or dog lol. I love my animals. They actually bring me comfort. No matter how long or short our journeys may be with these health issues, let’s encourage one another. No one else knows what we go through or can relate but us that went through or are going through it now. And most importantly, have faith! It’s the only thing that has helped me more than medical treatment, therapy, words of encouragement, etc. My faith in God is what keeps me going everyday when I feel like giving up or becoming depressed. I can only state what helps me. I don’t impose anything on anyone. I don’t ask why has this happened to me, or what did I do to deserve this. Sometimes we experience things to build our character, to help us not take things for granted, to build faith, or whatever reason. Just be encouraged!!

• November 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

You have a wonderful attitude, tpalmer!

I was in the hospital for 4 1/2 months. Most of the other patients there were amputees, I was one of the lucky ones who still had a full set of limbs, even though none of them worked initially. It reminded me that, no matter how bad it was, it could be much worse. I would recover from GBS eventually but those other patients would not grow new arms or legs.

You’re right, I think, that we need to heed the reminder to slow down, be appreciative and grateful.

I am one year and nine months post diagnosis and IVIG and I still have a ways to go but I’ve also come soooo far! When I feel impatient or discouraged, I remember my fellow hospital mates and it helps put things back into perspective.

Best of luck with your recovery and continuing improvement!
      Shirley

• November 4, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Hi!

Yes! It’s good to remain optimistic in our health issues. We’re not supermen or superwomen, but we can be positive! Thank you and I pray you have a full recovery and things get easier everyday!!!

Talisa

• November 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Thank-you, Talisa! 🙂

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2013 at 9:10 pm

That really is the way to be. So much of what you typed I have heard, felt, and experienced. Thank you for sharing this. You have my prayers for your physical recovery; it sounds like your spirit and faith are in magnificent shape.

Joseph

• November 4, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Joseph, than-you for your prayers!

• November 5, 2013 at 2:03 am

Hello Shirley, you’re welcome!

• November 5, 2013 at 2:05 am

Hi Joseph,

Thank you!! And you have my prayers as well for your full recovery!

Talisa

Tagged: