2 Emg Conflicting Results

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I had an EMG last month at one John Hopkins centers and doctor thought I had weak diaphram muscle. So I had lumbar puncture and showed slightly elavated protein. They send me to the main Johns Hopkins Hospital, doc there says everything looks normal. I do not feel normal. I am now scheduling for a muscle biopsy. Man trying to find a true diagnosis..is longer than I would ever thought. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2010 at 6:52 pm

conduction tests? IF so, your tests could read ‘normal’ when they mite not be so. Sometimes it can take 3-9 months for the real nerve damage to show up so…expect more nerve testing.

Secondly, you didn’t mention when this all started – my own started after a long bout of pneumonia. Couple of months later? WHAM! My own nerve tests were ‘normal’ at first, then went downhill rapidly.

Hopkins is known to do ‘punch skin’ biopsies, is that what you are having? OR are you having the ‘sural nerve biopsy’? If the latter, DO check it out thoroughly with your insurance company. Some companies no longer cover the sural procedures as they are considered too invasive and also prone to infection. Do web up both types of procedures to be aware of the benefits and pitfalls of either test. Don’t be afraid to ask questions here and especially of your neuros!
      There are many good neuros at Hopkins. You are lucky to be soo close to them to get tested there!
      I am glad that you found this site. There are a lot of good people here, who have been thru what you are going thru now.
      Please, don’t be afraid to ask any question. No matter how silly or simple it mite seem. Sometimes those questions are your keys to getting answers.

• Anonymous
      December 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm

not sure if was cold during the EMG it was really cold out…mine started after long bout of bronchitis. I am already on prednisone for rare type of arthritis 5 mg. and methotrexate. I think that it mask some things..thanks for reply glad to have someone to ask , I am be very discouraged don’t know whats going on.

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2010 at 12:20 am

The best advice I can give is to try to get another EMG done by a different dr.

You have 2 competing EMG results. I think it’s the only way to break the tie.

I’m sorry it’s taking so long to get a diagnosis. I hope you get some answers soon!

Kelly

• December 9, 2010 at 3:16 pm

When you say “you dont feel normal” do you mean muscle weakness? did you feel normal before the prednisone? I got very weak ,even in my muscles that are not affected by cidp while i was on prednisone. it was definitely noticeable–with 3 hours after my 4th dose my legs felt like “jello”. Hoping for you that it is something that simple : ) best of luck getting your diagnosis—its a strange disease with many different symptoms. In the beginning for me–before getting a diagnosis–it was a lot of ruling things out–to determine what it WASN’T. Lori

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2010 at 4:18 pm

been on Prednisone for 7 years… started feeling this wy about year ago

• Anonymous
      December 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm

The nerve conduction tests showed very little damage at first. Tests done 8 & 10 months after onset showed substantial and progressive damages. Mainly to the sensory nerves tho. However the muscles got weak very rapidly and it took rounds of physical therapy to get any strength and balance [for what it’s worth] back.
      For me these days, ‘status quo’ is a heap better than other options. Not very thrilled about that, but must keep on going!
      Good luck!

• Anonymous
      December 13, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I recieved a letter with schedule of biopsy for Feb 11…

• December 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Is it a muscle or nerve biopsy? Checking for cidp would warrant a nerve biopsy. Regarding the emg, it is best to try to have the same doc always do it, in a perfect situation, next best thing is to always have old results with you so that same measurements are taken and test is duplicated. Then you are comparing apples to apples. It is possible for some people to have normal ncv/emg results and elevated protein. A nerve biopsy would be a natural progression regarding a diagnosis with the results you have presently. Good luck.

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2010 at 7:07 pm

good news I got bloodwork results I do not have Pompe Disease.
      Dr. said now we can move on to muscle biopsy.:o