1 year

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 8:14 am

One year ago I was in a hospital bed having a lumbar puncture to try and diagnose why I suddenly couldn’t walk or lift my arms off the bed. My two week old son was at home with his 3 year old sister and mother. I had attended my last day of teaching school in the 06-07 school year, though I didn’t’ know it at the time. I was diagnosed with GBS. My hands and feet felt as if they were being stabbed with needles, my right side of my face looked as if I had had a stroke, and my right eye was moving on its own leaving me unable to see well and causing my headaches and some nausea. After receiving 5 IViG treatments, I was moved from the hospital to therapy and spent a month there and came home to begin outpatient therapy. In therapy, I had gotten to where I could go short distances with a walker. Slowly things started returning to me. I moved from a wheelchair to a walker permanently, then crutches, and finally a cane. On July 4, 2007 I set the cane down and forgot to pick it up and haven’t touched it since. I was still dealing with numbness in my feet and hands, but that was improving. In November, I returned to our community theatre stage as Horton the Elephant in Seussical the Musical. I considered myself “well” then, but still had issues with fatigue.

In January, I resumed my workouts I had been doing before my diagnosis, and now can ride my bike for 45 a day without problem. I still have numb toes, but does not interfere with anything.

What a difference 1 year makes.

• Anonymous
      March 28, 2008 at 8:50 am

James

Congratulations on the progress that you have made.

• March 28, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Awesome news!
      Dawn Kevies mom

ps you should post your story on the very first page for inspirational stories. We need happy endings!