Reply To: 6 Years Post GBS

January 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm

Three years in June for me. Though I cannot claim to have actually had GBS. My symptoms were mild, so they avoided testing spinal fluid during the acute phase. I failed to present with the weakness that is typically the tell-tale sign neurologists look for. I never lost the ability to walk, though it was extremely difficult at the peak. Symptoms started after an adenovirus infection, just started feeling a malaise and tired after I had been feeling better following the infection, then an intense pain in my lower back, after which I noticed numbness and tingling in my legs, which moved to my arms, and finally face, which became mostly paralyzed. There was also bowel involvement, in that they were seemingly paralyzed for some time.

At this point, as a result of my GBS-like syndrome, I still experience transient paresthesia, particularly in my feet and lower legs. My top left foot is still slightly numb. Infrequently, I have stabbing nerve pain in my feet, that usually only lasts a few seconds. My ability to detect hot and cold sensations in a timely manner seems reduced in my hands – I tend to burn myself by accident when working with hot items.

After reading about some of the GBS cases on this site, I count myself VERY lucky. So I’m not complaining too much. Best wishes to everyone out there recovering from this sort of thing!