Reply To: Getting sick after GBS

February 27, 2017 at 5:02 pm

It took me a couple years before I was able to have a more positive outlook. Initially I refused to accept that my life as I had known it would never return. Gradually I came to realize that it wasn’t to be and I had to make a new life for myself. At that point I began making plans and started implementing them a step at a time. I never thought I would be driving again because I’m wheelchair bound. But technology changed all that and I now drive by myself all over, I recently logged about 1000 miles on a trip to Sedona.

Start by making a list of the things you would like to try to do. Then tackle each item one at a time listing pros and cons. This gets you focused on some new goals. Now it’s time to do some research and learn more about what options might be available to you. A great way to do this is to attend an Abilities Expo. Perhaps there is one in your area: http://www.abilities.com

I’ll be attending the one in LA in a few weeks. I always learn about new things when I attend. It’s where I learned about what I needed to be able to drive again. Hopefully you will learn some things that can help you envision a better future for yourself.

Oh, and checkout adaptive sports. You might be surprised what you could do sports-wise. I won a wheelchair tennis spectator target practice challenge in 2015. Gonna try again this year!