Reply To: New here and looking for advice

April 8, 2015 at 9:24 pm

Welcome Mike!

GBS is one of the rare neuromuscular disorders that often hangs around for a long time. I still have tingling and numbness since 2008, but my GBS was complicated by CIDP and MFS. The good news is that our bodies can often repair modestly damaged Myelin. Myelin can grow back at the rate of 1 millimeter a day, which is only 0.0032808 ft, this is agonizingly slow but there has been little that can be done to speed up the process.

There is no quick fix and most of your symptoms should go away or diminish to a large extent over time. The time depends on the individual and many members here have reported getting the most recovery after approx three years.

You might look into taking the supplement Alpha Lipoic Acid (1200-1800MG per day). There was a recent clinical trial at Oregon State, but the results haven’t been posted yet. This is the ALA I take:
https://www.supplementwarehouse.com/viewitem.asp?idproduct=162545

Other members have found various supplements helpful for them. Try using different search terms to help you compile a list and then you can decide, along with your doc, what to try. Best of luck with your recovery!