Yippee! I can chew an apple without jaw fatigue

• Anonymous
      August 13, 2009 at 2:25 am

Just thought I’d tell my fellow CIDP’ers that I have been able to eat/chew a whole apple lately (one a day) without the horrible fatigue that I used to get with my jaw. I can’t even remember when I ate an apple before this – but it was before CIDP affected by cranial nerves.
      It’s so good to be able to munch on fresh fruit instead of stewed!
      Oh the simple things in life…
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2009 at 5:46 am

You are so right Kazza – they taste so much better when you don’t have to spend all day trying to eat it! 🙂

• Anonymous
      August 14, 2009 at 5:35 pm

I agree Julie. Hopefully your strength will return soon (fingers crossed) and you’ll be back to munching foods that you and I have had to avoid for years.
      I actually didn’t realise what a limited diet I’ve had for so long – as you know anything that requires constant chewing can lead to choking and then the spitting out of food (very lady-like).
      Who knows – I might even be able to go out for a meal soon and actually finish it before the place closes for the night! ha ha
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2009 at 12:58 am

I know how excited you are!! Its like opening up a whole new world of foods to eat. I remember that feeling very well-still get it when chewing steak-but I enjoy steak so I ignore the pain. Gum helped me get my jaw back working, of course it took only 10 minutes of chewing gum before it was disposed of, but you have to start somewhere to get to the good stuff right! Keep up the new little big news Kazza!

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2009 at 6:58 am

Cheryl, It is exciting isn’t it! I lightly steamed my veges tonight for dinner – so they were still crunchy – instead of the usual cooked until soft and mushy. My stomach seems to be a bit confused by all the extra roughage though!
      I haven’t tried gum yet. Oh, and I might try singing again too – that ability went after my first attack as it was way to tiring (my voice would just fade away).
      Thanks for your good wishes and yes you do have to start somewhere…small steps…
      Kazza

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2009 at 3:25 am

Kazza, its funny how you brought up singing again-again I have that problem also. I just tried the singing part to guitar hero 2 days ago. I couldn’t do very well-but then again thats probably my norm;) but I did try to sing 2 songs.:o of course my kids were rolling on the floor and in tears by the end of them! My score was pretty pathetic, only a 27:rolleyes: I think I’ll stick to hummmmming!!!:D

tonight I aspirated on a bite of Special K cereal-that along with the absence of taste is telling me I’m on another backwards slide. Not to mention the spike in severe pain. Guess I will be chatting with my Dr in the morning.
      Hope you are able to carry a tune better then I, Kazza! Sing….sing a song….sing out loud….sing out strong!!!!!

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2009 at 6:21 am

Cheryl,
      I tried singing a bit – but it’s still too tiring – Oh well. No, I can’t carry a tune but it always used to be fun trying 🙂 for me that is – not for anyone listening though!
      That’s great how you had a go at singing a couple of songs.
      Yes, my taste has been affected too – especially for salty and sour foods (I think they have the same innervation). Though, my taste buds for sweet foods is still okay (yippee) – wierd hey? I find I pile salt on to everything now – just to get some taste from my food – thank goodness my blood pressure isn’t high.
      Hope you are feeling better soon:)
      Kazza