yeast from prednisone + a thank you

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I don’t post on the forum too often. I’m way overdue in thanking selahsmom for the advice she gave me on my IVIG bills from the outpatient infusion center. If anyone’s interested, she said with B/C B/S as my primary and Medicare secondary, the center has to take what the primary pays as payment in full. It worked like a charm. They were trying to bill me around $2,700 per month.

What I’d like to talk about now is male yeast infections from prednisone. I have been on and off prednisone for 10 years and started getting them after a few years. They’ve been getting harder and harder to get rid of over the years. The neuro says no more prednisone anymore because of osteopenia. Have been battling this latest yeast for a year now. I just started on Diflucan 200 mg.

Looking for input from other people who’ve gotten yeast overgrowth from the imbalance in the system that prednisone creates. Would like to know what worked and didn’t work for you. This is day 3 of Diflucan for me and it seems to be helping. I am hoping and praying for success.

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2009 at 9:27 pm

[SIZE=”4″][FONT=”Comic Sans MS”]Yeast is not fun. The new medication you are on usually works very well. Also try eating a [B]tablespoon[/B] of “PLAIN” (no sugar, no fruit) yogurt (with active cultures),[B]very important[/B] everyday, you can find it at your local grocery store in the dairy section, be sure to check the expiration date and use it with in that time frame. Hope this works and good luck!!!![/FONT][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2009 at 9:59 pm

yeah. I am taking nystatin for thrash so yeah. thrash happens in compromised immune systems. I blame it on the prednisone that I had just stopped taking.

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2009 at 7:48 am

i have been dealing for a long time with a rash like thing at the corners of my mouth– it grows and spreads around my mouth if i don’t use nystantin (sp?). But, when i stop the nystantin, it returns within a few days… could this be that? a yeast?

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2009 at 8:14 am

You get thrush when a yeast called Candida, normally found on the body, grows out of control.

In babies, Candida causes thrush because babies’ immune systems are not yet strong enough to control the growth of the yeast. Older people get thrush because their immune systems can weaken with age.

Some people get thrush when they take certain medicines, such as antibiotics or inhaled corticosteroids. People who have health problems, such as diabetes or HIV, are also more likely to get thrush.

this also applies to yeast infections down below.

• October 17, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Also try drinking cranberry juice (or a cranberry fruit blend) every day. Be sure it is 100% juice not the less expensive juice “drink”.

It is not a cure but may help stave off future attacks once you are “well” again.

Flossie

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Yes I got a yeast infection probably due to the prednisone. My Dr wouldn’t give me the prescription stuff that my insurance covers but by the stuff on the shelf that I had to pay out of pocket. I hope it worked. I go back in see him in 11 days. My last yeast infection took forever to get rid of.
      I wish I liked yogurt but I hate taste so much.
      I here Garlic is good for yeast infection.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2009 at 8:07 pm

Hi Sue,
      If you hate yogurt, take some good probiotics like Udo’s Choice. They will do the same thing and a lot faster than yogurt. Udo’s Choice are generally kept in the fridge at the pharmacy or health food store.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      October 17, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Thanks 🙂 I will look into that.

Sue