Would I Benefit From Another Emg Or Ncv????

• Anonymous
      June 25, 2007 at 9:48 am

Hello Family,
      I am not progressing anymore. I have been off ALL treatments except physical therapy for 3 1/2 years now and I’ve shown no sign of a relapse or progression starting again. WOULD I BENEFIT FROM ANOTHER EMG OR NCV? WOULD THESE TESTS SHOW WHETHER MYELIN IS GROWING OR CONFIRM THAT I AM HEALING? SHOULD I HAVE BOTH OF THE TESTS, OR WOULD JUST ONE OF THEM SHOW MORE? It’s been about five years since I last had EMG’s and NCV’s.

• June 25, 2007 at 10:39 am

Hi Liz,
      Technically, the test will not show if myelin is regrowing, but if replicated exactly to the ncv/emg you had before, it will show a good comparison if there is improvement or decline since the test five years ago. The conduction speed will either be higher or lower, blocks or no blocks. Maybe there will be no change, which would indicate no further demylienation as well as no further nerve regeneration. If there was axon damage initially, I believe that once the axons are dead, they cannot be repaired. Perhaps that would account for you not feeling “better” I think that if you are questioning things as to how you are feeling, you should get a repeat test to confirm or deny further demylienation. If there is an active demylienation, then you can seek additional treatment to stop it. Why take a chance and risk further damage.

Also, I have read many posts of people who have progressive cidp and say the progression is so suttle they do not notice changes day to day, but maybe every year they realize that they are not able to do something that they did last year. Maybe you have not been able to physically pinpoint any one demylienation occurence because they are so suttle, or maybe you have stayed the same. That would be good news! I personally would want to know for sure so that I had a plan if need be.

Good luck in your search!

Dawn Kevies mom 😮