Who is going to symposium?

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 1:38 pm

I am about to make flight reservations for Chicago. Who is planning on going? Gene will definitly be missed as I think he has always gone to these meetings. I would absolutely love to meet some of you in person. I’m thinking this would help me find some peace of mind with these dang residuals. Also, I will love to walk with someone who walks as slow and crooked as I do.

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Oh Chrissy, how I wish I could be there:( . I would love to meet you. It just isn’t going to work though. I also never got my symposium package. Got the news letter but nothing else.

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Too sick this year but if I get better by next year and start getting treatment for this nasty stuff, then you will meet me next time they have one. Is it yearly they have this or every two years. I would love to meet you also. Maybe next year I will get that chance!

• August 25, 2008 at 7:56 pm

Still contemplating.

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 8:04 pm

My daughter & I are nseriously thinking about it. Just haven’t made the decision yet.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 8:43 pm

If I start getting a little healthier, and quit spending my money at the medical outfits… Maybe……

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 9:36 pm

I would love to go but can’t afford the cost. One of the things on my “bucket list” is to go to chicago and see the Oprah show and I could do that while in chicago for the symposium. Who knows, maybe this will work out eventually. If not, everyone have fun.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2008 at 10:08 pm

We were planning on going but decided not to once I got the packet. It seems like such a big expense when there were only 3 workshops that I wanted to go to – on 3 different days, of course. We would have gone, had the workshops been on 1 day or maybe even on 2 consecutive days but 1 workshop each day for 3 days & the rest downtime just didn’t make much sense to me financially.

It would be nice if all of the workshops & speakers were taped so we could purchase them. I know I would be more than willing to pay $10 a DVD for the things that I’m interested in.

Maybe next time I’ll make it. I’m hoping that sooner or later there will be a symposium in MI (hint, hint, hint!)

Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 4:19 am

doubtful ๐Ÿ™

not likely to be able to afford it but if I make it I’ll bring my digital camera and record the workshops I go to; I don’t have the ability to mass produce DVDs but I can upload to YouTube. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 10:02 am

This is my first so all the workshops will be helpful.

We are going to leave my 18 year old daughter at home for the first time
      See how that goes. Lucky I have a little old lady across the street that
      knows all that goes on in the neighborhood.

Got the plane, car and hotel lined up. Chicago is awesome
      Going in Thursday to enjoy the city. Bail on Sunday morning.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I won’t be going either. Have never gone, and I wonder how many do actually end up going? It sounds like from the replies here, that not many do go, and that the speakers will outnumber the guests attending…
      Who here has been to one, and how many were in attendance?
      I will wait for them to come to San Diego.
      KEDASO

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, my wife and I are planning to attend. [Right in the middle of Urbain season the creek can either rise or fall on top of you or both].

I hope they have a place on the name tags to put our screen names, so we can recognize each other. I’m such a little guy that it would be easy to miss me in a crowd :rolleyes: [5′ 18″]

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 3:42 pm

I am sure quite a few attend. you can’t judge what the numbers will be.

Lets put it this way, If the speakers outnumber the attendants, The speakers probably won’t be inclined to speak anymore. These are the people who try to figure it all out. I think my doc spoke at it last year. Phoenix I believe. Thats a long way to go. I probably would not have trekked that far. Chicago is a one leg flight for me. Estelle told me Philadelphia is next, don’t quoate me on that but I believe thats what I heard.

The way I am looking at it is if I learn, Great, Also I was able to get out of my home town and do something different. Chicago is fun. Been there or passed through probably 50 times on my way to customer sites. Driving out of O’Hare is very simple. Returning into the airport is one of the easiest I have been through. Believe me, I have been to more than I can count Probably several hundred trips about.

For those of you coming to ORD, A helpful tip, Don’t rent with Thrifty. They are the only car carrier away from all the others. when you drive in and follow rental car return. Guess what? they are not there. they are down Manaheim st. Found that out last week. Had me Freakin. OH also bring alot of change with you. the freeways are tolled all over. 40 cents here, 80 cents there, and guess what else. some are unmanned so you need the loose change.
      I’ll stop Rambling on. I would look forward to meeting Anyone from this site and Forum, and also value the experience to talking to those striken like me.

• August 26, 2008 at 6:47 pm

The hotel is about a 40-50 minute ride from ord or mdw, Chicago itself, meaning museums and downtown, or where Obama lives if you are a fan, is about the same distance. Provided it is not in rush hour traffic. If you are not that mobile and plan to stay at the resort the whole time, you may want to consider a taxi ride. I am guessing $40- $50, each way. Ord is a long walk to baggage, but the flight schedules are easier. MDW is much smaller, easier to walk, but may not offer the flights you are looking for. We do both, for walking, and ease of getting baggage we prefer mdw. The town the resort is in is a nice suburb with suburbia type things to do, TGI Friday type rest., strip mall type shopping and a larger mall a bit aways. So if you were interested intouring Chicago itself, you may want to consider a rental. I have no exp. with rental info as we take a limo from home. That too could be an option if a few of you guys hooked up. Don’t forget to watch the weather report right before you leave or pm me, as it could be hot and sunny in the early part of Nov. or rainy or snowing!!!!!! You never know!!!!!
      If you do rent a car, Yes, we do have tons of tolls to pay to use our crudy roads. If you live here, we have an i-pass to purchase. If you are out of state or choose not to purchase one, you get ripped off. The money line is long, if you have change it is a little shorter that the line to make change. You won’t have to take a loan out, depending on which airport you take, it should be no more that $3.00 from the airport to hotel. Don’t quote me, I will try to make note of it next time
      I travel that route.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 9:46 pm

[QUOTE=Dawn Kevies mom]The hotel is about a 40-50 minute ride from ord or mdw, Chicago itself, meaning museums and downtown, or where Obama lives if you are a fan, is about the same distance. Provided it is not in rush hour traffic. If you are not that mobile and plan to stay at the resort the whole time, you may want to consider a taxi ride. I am guessing $40- $50, each way. Ord is a long walk to baggage, but the flight schedules are easier. MDW is much smaller, easier to walk, but may not offer the flights you are looking for. We do both, for walking, and ease of getting baggage we prefer mdw. The town the resort is in is a nice suburb with suburbia type things to do, TGI Friday type rest., strip mall type shopping and a larger mall a bit aways. So if you were interested intouring Chicago itself, you may want to consider a rental. I have no exp. with rental info as we take a limo from home. That too could be an option if a few of you guys hooked up. Don’t forget to watch the weather report right before you leave or pm me, as it could be hot and sunny in the early part of Nov. or rainy or snowing!!!!!! You never know!!!!!
      If you do rent a car, Yes, we do have tons of tolls to pay to use our crudy roads. If you live here, we have an i-pass to purchase. If you are out of state or choose not to purchase one, you get ripped off. The money line is long, if you have change it is a little shorter that the line to make change. You won’t have to take a loan out, depending on which airport you take, it should be no more that $3.00 from the airport to hotel. Don’t quote me, I will try to make note of it next time
      I travel that route.
      Dawn Kevies mom[/QUOTE]

I’ve got my fingers crossed that you attend Dawn as you are our in house expert, and I really respect what you pass on to us.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Hey Dawn,
      Still trying to find out if I can go see Oprah while I;m there..I could mark it off my Bucket List..:D May sound cheesy but I actually made this list in early 2003 and shortly after that I was diagnosed with GBS, almost like it was a premonition or something.

anyway We can always hope..

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2008 at 10:21 pm

I was planning on going since it is not that far a drive, but have never gotten any brochure so maybe it is not supposed to be…..? I have emailed the Foundation and will likely call early next week if still no information. Do they ever post any additional information on the website such as where this is exactly or the schedule? Does anyone know? I do find it discouraging that it has been hard to get information and the dissemination is apparently not too reliable. I am not grumping, just making a statement that this is an area in this day and age, alternative ways of information dispersal should be considered.
      WithHope for a cure of these diseases

• August 26, 2008 at 11:34 pm

With Hope,
      I was mailed 7 brochures 4 different times. If you would like to give me your work address or I could copy and fax it to you.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2008 at 7:53 am

I would really love to come. I’m debating still b/c I dont know that my husband can join me and I dont want to come alone. I’d love to even bring Connor…for the “trip” part, but he’d be bored stiff.

I need to get an answer from hubby. He starts a new job Tuesday and wont be able to take vacation for 6 mos. He may be able to tell them that this was already planned.

I just need to get away….so bad.

It would be nice to meet other folks like ourselves. I live in a big city and have yet to know of anyone with CIDP. I know they exist…I just dont know where they are.

Dawn, I truly hope you are there, too…if not for me, for others. Can you arrange your limo to pick me up, too ? ๐Ÿ˜€

well wishes everyone,
      Stacey

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2008 at 9:57 am

Dawn,

You get seven and lots of us got none…..Hmmmm. As someone said, there should be a better way to disseminate info.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2008 at 10:04 am

To everyone requesting info:

For some reason the postal service has not been delivering some of the brochures we have mailed out. For what reason we don’t know but as some people have stated they have gotten theirs and others haven’t. If you have moved recently or are at a different address and haven’t notified us as such please do so asap. The brochures went out 3rd class mail due to the size and will not be forwarded. They will come back to us. Please just bare with us through this. Sorry it is taking so long. We have called all the local Post Office officials and they are looking into it, as of right now we have no answer. If you do not receive it and think your address might be wrong send me an email or a private message,(it might be full soon so be patient) and I will look into it personally. Just make sure you give me your full name and some sort of an address so I can look you up in the database.

See you in Chicago.

Trey Avery
      GBS/CIDP Foundation International
      IT Director
      [EMAIL=”info@gbs-cidp.org”]info@gbs-cidp.org[/EMAIL]

• August 27, 2008 at 10:28 am

Stacey,
      Limo clarification!!!!! We take a limo to the airport when we go on vacation!!!! I think it was $120 including tip. Could fit 8-9 average size people, with carry on luggage.
      I live about 20 minutes from the resort w/ no traffic and my fuzz buster on going about 80.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2008 at 2:03 pm

I am planning on going!
      I would love to see an Oprah show too!
      I will be comming with my mom and possibly my sister. The hotel seems really nice and I can’t wait to stay there and go to the spa:)
      I can’t wait to be able to meet all of you:D

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Since we have quite a few not going, I will keep a watch on the airfare to MDW. Wait and see…

I got one of the brochures! I can’t believe they don’t have it on the home page.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2008 at 3:32 pm

I was hoping that I’d feel okay about going, but I have to make the decision not to go for financial reasons. I’ve had to buy so many things for my new home and there are still more things I need to buy.

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2008 at 10:24 am

It sounds like I will be able to come ! My sister, (the good one), said she’d come with me. Kind of excited now.

We will fly into MDW and are trying to figure out transportation now. Take the train ? A taxi or do we need a car ? I’m thinking a car ? We will venture out to shop or have pizza or a beer even….right ?

Dawn, I’ll take any advice you can offer.

Liz, I so wish you could come.

Stacey

• August 28, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Hi Stacey,
      You could take a Taxi, but you will definateley need transportation once there, otherwise you will be stuck at the resort. If you like golf you would be ok, provided the weather is good. Otherwise, its not like everything is in close proximity. I would probably rent the car at the airport. Usually, after claiming baggage, you go to a rental terminal, or some are located just outside of the airport and they have free shuttles that take you with a paid rental. Check out the Sams club rate if you have a card. Maybe the resort itself has a special. Since you are comming with your sister, you guys can go to downtown chicago and have fun if you like, about 40-5o minute drive. Honestly, the resort is in a nice boring suburban area, I can’t imagine anything more than the local strip malls etc. I think you will be glad you went w/mdw. Kevie likes it so much better than ohare for walking purposes!!!! Can’t wait to meet you guys!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• August 28, 2008 at 4:53 pm

You guys should start a thread to see if anyone wants to share a room or a taxi ride!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 12:52 am

i’m not sure I’m going to be able to swing the whole thing, but i am trying to decide between attending friday or saturday. hard to choose which workshops I’d rather go to.

Hoping to see you all there!

marjie

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 11:19 am

Ben and I will be there. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 11:43 am

I Give Up Trying To Put Things Together So I Could Re-consider Going To The Symposium! I Called Indian Lakes Resort Again And They Couldn’t Find Anything About Our Symposium. They Asked Several Times What Our Group Is Called. I Gave Them All Sorts Of Names, Like Guillain Barre Foundation, Gbsfi, Gbs-cidp, Etc. I Know I Called The Right Number Because Today Was The Second Time I Used The Same Number And They Knew Of Our Foundation On The First Call.

I’m Just Getting Too Overwhelmed And Frustrated.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 12:34 pm

still saying a prayer that it will work out for me some how

• August 29, 2008 at 6:28 pm

Liz mentioned that Indian lakes has no more handi cap rooms. There is a Residence Inn and a Court Yard 5 minutes or so from Indian Lakes. The Court yard is $74, don’t know about the Residence Inn. Court yard does have handicap rooms. One has a roll in shower, the others have a chair in the shower, but are otherwise accessible. You would have to either rent a car or call a taxi.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Can’t afford the hotel room so if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I can drive to the symposium, it would take about 8 hours but the hotel cost is what’s killing me.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I asked my mom to go with me, so we will see what she says.

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2008 at 10:06 am

Sherry,

I’m with you on the hotel costs… maybe, maybe we could share a room??? I do snore ๐Ÿ˜ฎ but not all night – according to a recording I made of myself. I think the $99 is way too high for singles.

I am still undecided in general. At first I was ready to go, but now I am thinking what else I could do with that money, like get new eye glasses and a winter coat, etc. Round trip flight is about $350 (although it keeps going up). Decisions, decisions, decisions… :confused:

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2008 at 11:39 am

Ladies,

I hate to see you gals wanting to attend and struggling with the hotel.
      Chrissy/Sherry
      I would be happy to wire either of you $50 from my PayPal to help you make this happen. If it is financially tight for you I would be glad to help. Somehow you two work out if you can share a room or what ever and let me know what you come up with. PM me your plan and a paypal acct email And I’ll get it off to you. Tim-I know 50 isn’t alot but it may help you get over the top

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I’m Going, I’m Going, I’m Going!

• August 30, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Great news Liz, can’t wait to meet you! I will send you th brochure today!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 8:08 pm

I’m planning on going. Anyone interested and sharing a room?
      JoAnn

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 8:32 pm

I’m going..Thank you Liz and tim..

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 7:45 am

Your very welcome Sherry!

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 8:54 am

My sister said she will definitely come with…all I have to do is make the reservations now…………

it is pricey for the seminars and hotel combined…I’m hoping it will be worth it.
      I’m very excited to meet you guys…I wish I was bringing my hubby and son with so that you can see what I am so super proud of…but, you’ll have to just settle for me. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

I wonder if Norb can make it ?

well wishes,
      Stacey

• September 3, 2008 at 11:16 am

I can’t wait to meet you Stacey!!!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 12:32 pm

thanks Dawn, I’m excited, to meet you, too !

Ok, the hotel is booked and the flights are on a 24 hour hold, I’m just waiting to make sure with hubby one last time.

We decided to fly into Ohare…my sister can help me if I need it.
      And, I probably wont check any baggage. We’ll see.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Hey guys,
      I’m flying into O’Hare too..let me knowyour schedule when you get it.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Won’t be able to make it. ๐Ÿ™

Flight will be over $700.00…and that is a seat sale!

I’ll keep watching those seat sales hopefully a better sale will come along!

Rhonda from Canada

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 7:53 am

Sherry, I am flying in on the 7:15a or close to it into Chicago Friday morning.
      Leaving Omaha at 6 bells.

I got a limo company name from the hotel that I need to call. My sister said we dont need to rent a car…I’m thinkin’ she’s wrong.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 10:42 am

I’ll be arriving at Chicago’s midway airport around 2:00pm on Friday the 6th. I’m going to try to make a reservation for a wheelchair accessible van, either what they call the airport express or a taxie service that uses accessible vans. Anyone else getting into midway in the afternoon? I’ll be on Southwest.

Sherry, you’ll get to resort before I do.

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 10:42 am

I just sent in the reservation today. Looking forward to meeting all of you! ๐Ÿ™‚

• September 5, 2008 at 10:55 am

Stacey,
      If you plan on eating at the resort and staying there the entire time, you won’t need a car. But the area is in a suburb, strip malls abound, but serious shopping is a ways away. Chicago is not a taxi ride away, would be costly, at least $40-50 maybe even each way. The way tings are set up, you kind of have to be at the resort all day because the speakers are spread out. At night if you wanted to go to a near by place to eat, I know the resort does have a shuttle and they go a few miles away, I do not know how far. It is a larger club van type of vehicle. I guess I would see how much a round trip limo ride is and compare it to the rental, get the upgraded version w/gps, it is easy to get lost, if in fact you do rent a car.
      See ya later!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm

If I end up coming by myself, I dont know that I’d venture off from the hotel much …I want to go to Navy pier…I’ve been told that’s a fun place ?
      But, not by myself. I have a feeling my sister is gonna bail on me. We may have lost the price on the tix bc she put them on a 24 hour hold and didnt purchase. She told me she’d book online tonite and I havent heard from her. She’s a travel agent. I may need to think about coming by myself and book the flight myself…i’d then fly into Midway.

Can I make a suggestion for the next symposium….? Somewhere warm…with maybe a beach…or even just palm trees…Scottsdale would suffice.
      And, if nobody could come with me again, at least I wouldnt mind being in a tropical paradise alone. Not that Chicago isnt good….dont get me wrong. I cant wait to buy some Bears gear for my hubby and son ! Maybe Dawn can hook me up with the discount places…รดยฟรด

I’d better get to bed…Ivig today and I feel crappy, does it show ?

have a great weekend everyone.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 12:44 am

When is the first session of the symposium?

• September 6, 2008 at 9:13 am

Joanne,
      I did not recieve the pm w/your address or e-mail. I did e-mail you, so maybe you could just reply to my e-mail. The first session is Fri. treatments for gbs/cidp, How to prove they work. It is at 9:15 to 10 am, next 10:15-11is gbs related, as well as cidp, current treatments for both. 11:30-12:30, Management and long term care for gbs,cidp and other varients. 2-3 pain and fatigue as well as another workshop about young adults and childrenw/cidp/gbs. 3:15 to 4:!5 womens/mens issues w/ cidp and gbs That is Friday only.
      Dawn

• September 6, 2008 at 9:21 am

Stacey,
      Why on this God’s green earth would you want Bears stuff? They are probably, unless God sends them down some Angel to lift the ball, going to be one of the worst nfl teams this year. Our once back up QB is now starting AND the captain. That would kind of be like putting me in the lead position of a weight watchers meeting!!! NOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!
      Navy Pier is nice, kind of Night Lifey. If you were comingw/your family, there is a nice children’s mus. It is on the lake and they offer speed boat rides, plenty of restuarants and it might even still be decorated for fall. Pretty far from the hotel, about an hour. BTW, there are no discount shops for BEARS stuff!!! The best place to go is to a Walmart near the resort. The Jerseys are not stitched numbers, but they are about $20-30, I spent $150 on Kevies “stitched” jersey last year!! STUPID ME!!!! Now…. I am hoping my coveted SOX are going to win the WS again, I can tell you anything you want to know about them!!!!!
      DAwn

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Dawn, you are funny. ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks for making me laugh. The comparison. Funny!

The whole Bears thing …that’s my husbands deal. We are in the process of brain washing Connor to be a Bears fan. His bedroom is nothing but Chicago Bears, Cubs, even the indian hockey team flag. I’ll have to bring you pictures to the symposium.
      I dont know….but, I do know I wont mention any of this to my husband. :p

I got a Payton jersey for hubby from someone that sells em…you know the kind that “fall off the back of a truck” type of thing. I spent 60 bucks. Pretty snappy…probably a knock off. I dont know. He liked it tho. They are selling for about 100 bucks now. The guy gets all kinds of jerseys. Are they called throw backs, maybe ?
      At any rate, costly.
      Sounds like the Bears stuff is same as buying Husker stuff here. No discount stores. By the way, my Huskers look sloppy today.
      Still, maybe as my husband is with the Bears, I am a die hard fan. Good, bad, I’m there.
      Oh well…off to a bday party somewhere on the other side of town…
      I feel alot better today. SOmething about the night of IVIG…it’s no fun.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 4:46 am

Dawn,
      Thanks for the info. I sent you am e-mail. Hope to see you in November.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Sherry,

I will talk to Dana but I am sure we could get two double beds and share a room with you. I want to make sure you are able to come. Let me know.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Hi Jeremy,
      Thanks for the offer but I am already spoken for. I’ll be sharing a room with Liz..Can;t wait to meet my new roomie..

• Anonymous
      September 9, 2008 at 8:10 am

Jeremy, that is awesome for you to offer.

Dawn, are you staying at the hotel ? and one other question, does everyone go to all the workshops or most of them ? I dont know which ones other than maybe two that I really want to go to…and if I DID go to so many, I’d have to stay an extra day to do the stuff I’d like to try to do away from the resort. Not sure how far I’ll even get.

Is everyone coming Thursday ? I havent confirmed the flight…looking at United now…cheaper, too. Waiting on confirmation from my sis. I think we’ll come in very early on Friday tho. I’d come Thursday by myself and just meet her there…
      hmm. what to do.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Hi Dawn Kevies Mom,

Let’s hope the Minnesota Twins do their job, and win the division so White Sox stuff can go on discount! ๐Ÿ™‚ I see there’s a big 3 game stand 23rd-25th Twins vs Sox…. deano

• September 10, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Hey there Deano!!!
      Do I sense some friendly rivalry!!! I am probably the craziest sox fan ever. I just bought our black/white (sox colors in case you did not know) border collie a new bandana to spark some new energy in to my boys!!! Yesterday was awful. A double headers worth of time, all day/night, only to loose both!!!! Today probably won’t be much better. I have to admit, my boys are in trouble, Carly Q, aka Carlos Quentin, our best hitter, leading home run guy in the league even though he has not played in a couple of weeks out w/ injury, Crede done, Thome so so, Konerko whinny boy has a booboo on his knee, Swisher in a slump, Ken Griffey Jr. is Ken Wiffey Jr in my book, heck for $!6 million, I could hit better. Yes, we are in troble, short of a miracle (they do happen I am hoping) it might be tough. But I know my SOx are fighters and won’t give up till the end, just like me. Truth be told, the Twins are looking good. The truth is the Truth. I also have the option of rooting for our North Side Team the Cubs if they make it to the WS (chicago has been waiting 100 years for that, but there is hope) It would have to be silent as my alegiance is to my south side boys!! Happy baseball!!!
      Dawn Kevies mom

• September 10, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Regarding the discount thing,
      Funny you should say that, the “Dog Barkery” I went to today had the $11 sox scarfs marked down to $9.21. I wonder if we play that day and it will be the day of our fate??????
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Truth be told Twins are struggling as well.. These things happen towards the end of the year.. Players get banged up.. I think there’s like 19 games left or so… Season ends in about a month or so…. Good luck for your Sox. I sure wish we could make it to the symposium, but unless something changes; finances, time, and health, won’t allow it….deano

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 10:51 pm

deep sigh

ok, my sister has booked her flight on a 24 hour hold for the second time. I’m beginning to believe that as much as she says she wants to come, she really doesnt. If it were ten years ago and we were going to Scottsdale, there’d be no hesitating.

There is sooooooooo much drama with my sisters right now. I can hardly stand it anymore. I have finally asked my oldest sister to basically go away and leave me alone. It all has to do with my moms estate.

I dont think I have ever been so stressed in all of my life. And, I have had alot of stressful times. This has got to be the worst. I try to be happy and I cant.
      I try to focus on the good and I cant. Everything is upside down. It is affecting every aspect of my life and marriage and mothering and my job. And, my health.
      I know it will all work out…things will eventually turn around and be ok. The relationship with my oldest sister however, is not and her and my husband will never make amends.
      I guess I should put this on the prayer request thread b/c I pray that things will work out and settle down and that my sister will be ok with whatever it is that is causing her to be so ugly.

back to the symposium, gee, by the time I get to meet you that go, you will know my entire life story. Actually, there’s so much to tell, it will all never be known. There’s not enough time. :rolleyes:

I am going to book my ticket tomorrow. I dont want to come by myself b/c I’d really like to venture into Chicago…but, I will. I’m capable of this by myself. I just have to do it.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 7:00 pm

It’s ok..we all need to vent. I would love to venture into chicago also but don’t want to miss anything at the meeting either.

I think we should all wear name tags with our forum names also..

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 9:22 pm

The cliche about time healing all wounds, is pretty much true… I think we as human beings tend to forgive, forget many of the things we thought were “unmendable”… In time, I hope that your wounds will heal as well… Where did that saying come from anyway? deano

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 7:16 am

thanks but my sister is the most stubborn woman that ever lived…and then my husband is the most stubborn man ! So much hate has erupted…we are all shocked by it.

• Anonymous
      September 15, 2008 at 9:43 pm

Hey Dawn,

Go Cubbies! Haha, had to say it! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Hi Shannon,
      Havn’t heard from you in so long. How is Ben doing. Hopefully I will get to see you guys in Chicago. I can’t wait to get there. I am excited to see everyone and get all of the information. Take care and update me soon.

• Anonymous
      September 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm

I am happy to see so many of you going. You will enjoy it and Chicago. Went to the last one in Arizona with my daughter. It was the best. Can’t go this year, am on chemo and don’t know what will be happening with me. Enjoy

Peggy

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I have created changes in my life – I have given a two week notice at my very stressful job. This of course means I do not have the funds to go to the symposium. I have quit my job without another one lined up… but I have faith. Once I get out of this job, I should be able to reduce some of the anxiety medicine I am on. And then I will be able to present myself properly for applying for new employment.

I will sorely miss seeing everyone in Chicago ๐Ÿ™ Especially since I was the one that started this thread and was already to go.

I expect to hear lots and see pictures from the symposium.

• September 19, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Good luck in your new journey Chrissy! I hope your stress release will now help you feel better. Best of luck and well wishes in our search for a new job.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Hi everyone.

It’s been some time since being in these forums. I’m glad I finally found some discussion about the upcoming symposium. This would be my second one (I was at the Phoenix one two years ago) and I very much want to attend, but things are looking iffy now. Gas and airline prices are insane and I can’t believe that these are fellow Americans doing this to all of us and not terrorists.

I did make my hotel reservation already (this year will be different and I won’t wind up at a hotel way down the road, like Phoenix…, LOL), but now I’m struggling over driving from Albany, New York, or getting plane tickets (or trying to). I’m moving towards driving the 13+ hours because I love to drive and I want to “see” the scenery this time.

Anyone interested in accompanying me on the drive can contact me here on the forum or by email at [email]HolidayInOz@Hotmail.com[/email] or [email]coitdah@omh.state.ny.us[/email] or calling me at work at 518-473-5828 (M-F 7:30am to 3:30pm…, some Friday’s I am off for a vacation day). I drive very well (knock wood) and would cover the expense of getting us there safely. At least two (2) good rest stops are planned and we would get into Chicago early Thursday morning…, I have to be in for a liaison meeting. I will check back here through October and check my Hotmail mailbox for any interested individuals. I am offering because I know these are difficult times for many and I’m willing to try to do something to help someone (a GBS/CIDP family member) else out.

I read a few of the other posts and I’m saddened that so many others can’t make it to these symposiums. They, the symposiums, are a great way to just meet many others with these mutual conditions. I spent so many years thinking I was the only one that had GBS and through the Foundation and after meeting so many others, I’m glad to learn that I am not alone…, anymore. If you can make it, please come (beg, borrow, but don’t “steal” the money).

To my Ausie (down under) “sister,” I did get the nice card you sent after the liaison meeting in Philadelphia and thank you. Hugs and kisses.

Sorry for the long post, but I am a writer (published my third book recently and trying to finish a fourth in time for the next symposium) when I am not being a state worker (or maybe it’s because I [I]am[/I] a state worker that I am a writer, LOL).

Hugs to everyone and again, if you can make it to Chicago in November, I hope to meet with many of you again or for the first time. I’m hoping that the Financial Beast does not get too many others and myself. I’ll pray for myself any everyone else at this time.

Take care,

Alex in NY

I chose the unhappy smiley because of some of the things I read in other’s posts.

• Anonymous
      September 20, 2008 at 12:05 am

Alex,

that is a very kind offer. Hopefully there will be someone that can benefit from your offer. It would make the drive a little less lonely for you, as well.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 23, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Just make our reservations this morning. It looks like we will be driving from NW Florida, so if there is someone along the way who needs a ride hopefully you can squeeze in. We will be driving a Nissan Sentra. At 6′ 6″ I don’t exactly slide into it effortlessly. :rolleyes: Just sent me an PM or email and we can see what we can work out. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 2:41 am

It looks like my wife and I will be heading that way…will be driving in from St. Louis.

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Will someone who is going to forum please ask a question regarding GBS and cancer.? Thank you.

Peggy