What scares you?

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 7:30 pm

Hi – I was reading elsewhere that some people prefer artificial sweetener in fizzy drinks to sugar. My boss is the same yet it makes me feel sick.

Whether you actually like the stuff or not, do you not think it odd that so many things are hard to get with sugar and not artificial sweetener? I now find it tricky to get children’s medicine without artificial sweetener.

The way things are advertised, apparently:

sugar is bad for you – even though it has calories, gives energy and only rots your teeth if you don’t clean them

I used to get an orange type drink that children seem to like. Okay, oranges convert in part to formaldehyde in the body. Yet now, the manufacturers have decided to sweeten it artificially with stuff that also converts to formaldehyde. I suppose that means that when we were dead, our bodies will live on – embalmed while you wait

The company that makes the artificial sweeteners (each of them in turn – sacharrin, aspartame etc) is the one that makes the chemicals for the garden and is also the one patenting seeds, living organisms, and genetically engineering seeds and in America they legally own whereever the seed ends up and has followed the legal route against farmers who found the seeds growing in their crops. So unbeknownst to the farmer, genetically engineered seed blows on to his land. He sprays his crop with weed killer and some plants survive – he writes to the weedkiller company wondering what has happened. They come on his land (without his knowledge often) and discover that the plants that survived, surprise surprise, are those genetically engineered – by them. As they genetically engineered the seed and patented it – they own it. They take the farmer to court – and win.

Ievn if they planted the seeds themselves – legally, how it got there, doesn’t matter.

They have also started buying up seed companies. Just in case they miss something, they go into the seed banks. pick up seeds and trot over to the Patent Office, and then they own the seed and so it continues.

The idea of being able to patent a living organism may be ridiculous but it has happened.

If you open a door half an inch, is it open or sbut? Obviously, it is open. It does not matter the width, you have only to push it wider. So, what happens when animals eat the seed? Dont laugh, cos it wasn’t funny when seeds were patented and it will be even less funny when the next chapter unfolds – and the one after that. Humans – patented? How ridiculous? As ridiculous as patenting seeds? Or not? Anyway who thinks slavery and bubonic plague were wiped off the face of the earth are so far behind it is scary. After all, the plague is alive and well and living organisms are patanted.

It way very well sound daft. Yet it sounded daft to patent a living seed, and it’s happened. The door is now open.

My other bug-bear is vaccines. You know how the influenza virus mutates every year and so every year the vaccine changes? Bit of an old error a year or two ago – the vaccine stayed exactly the same. It was rather handy really as the previous year there was a lot of the vaccine left over and it was able to be used the following year.

Although mercury appears to be the second deadliest substance on the planet, we have it stuck in tooth fillings and some vaccines.

So, in a nutshell what annnoys me is:

artificial sweeteners
      chemicals for the garden etc
      genetic engineering of seeds
      farmers being sued when they have done nothing wrong
      patenting living organisms
      the patenting of seeds from seed banks
      the buying up of seed companies, and

vaccines

Oddly, enough the same company is doing all this. Aren’t they industrious?

Basically, if they feed a genetically modified seed to a mouse, send the mouse to the moon where it dies and decomposes, sending genetically modified substances into the moon’s surface it could be argued, logically, that they own the moon. Fortunately that only works for the country they are in. But they are in more than one country.

Is there anything on this planet more foolish than mankind and more deadly? And greedier.

Still, there’s a chance that someone will test a nuclear weapon big enough to throw the world off its axis first.

God bless

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 8:00 pm

T.A.

What company are you refering to? Just curious.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 8:18 pm

TA

I enjoyed reading that! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Hi Teresa Anne,

It is great to talk to you again !! I know I thanked you for those games and such you sent my kids two Christmassas ago, but I really appreciated that. It was so kind. And useful as well !!

Things are a bit better for me now. Financially anyway.

As to the patented seed… Let me add a bit.

In golf, several companies have worked hard to engineer a grass that requires less water, and will survive harsher climates, and grow a pretty golf course kind of grass. In the south, the grass needs to be heat and drought tolerant, near the coast they are working on grasses that can tolerate the saltiness in the air and water. In the north, they try to get cold weather tolerant grasses. I think you get my drift. They are producing grasses that require less chemicals, less water, and still look great.

They do it the same way the monks did it in the 1500’s, cross breeding. I saw some test plots at Penn State when I was there. They will plant an acre and mark it off into 10 foot squares. Then they subject each plot to something different, and then breed the best with the best to get their desired result. In the end it takes several years and a lot of research to come up with an answer.

Do they have a right to patent their plants? They have a good deal of time and money invested, Should they recoup their investment, and make profit?

That does not give anybody the right to take advantage of, or abuse anybody for sure. But if you use their seed, you probably pay a “royalty” when you purchase the seed in the first place. “Accidental” seeding, no way should they prosecute, but if someone “accidentally” has a thousand acres of it, that might be different.

Too many lawyers anyway. That scares me. People spend way too much time in the courtrooms, and not enough in the court of common sense.

I don’t like chemicals in my gardens. I have been doing pretty well using natural stuff, a little lime to neutralize our acidic soil, and I can still compost enough fertilizer. I don’t need to buy any of that.

I think companies are getting too big. I realize “globalization” and all that. I know if you are bigger, you can get costs down, and things like that. But I fear that these multi-national “mega-corporations” have too much money, and too much power over political institutions. I am not naive, and I understand it has been going on since the dawn of time(human time), but using your money or “things” to gift someone for political favor is wrong. Either you have a good idea or not. It is right or wrong. You should not “buy” right. I hate that.

I am still an idealist. I still believe that you can do right and do good in spite of everyone else. If you hold to your ideals and do the right thing, don’t harm anyone else, and be kind- – – life can be good !!

Anyway, that is a lot for today. Take care of yourself.

Your friend,
      Dick S.

• Anonymous
      February 5, 2007 at 11:26 pm

Vaccines all of them scare the you know what out of me. The Pharma Companies claim that mercury is no longer used in vaccines. A “Big Phooey”
      I don’t beleive that for 1 moment.

I do believe that everything is about greed and Mankind does suffer for that greed.

Well said TA.

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 12:52 pm

WOW TA!! Very Nicely Put!
      what scares me—since i don’t drink fizzy drinks, is global warming!:(
      the very industrious companies that TA spoke of is also responsible for their part in the global warming problem-but they won’t admit to that when confronted with all the proof-thats one thing they won’t want to patent!:eek:

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 2:09 pm

Teresa Anne,

I don’t know what scares me, but this was sure some interesting read. I watch an awful lot of science fiction so my mind is not on this earth most of the time. Although, I do believe we will get kicked off this planet soon. Oh boy, I better not get started.

Thanks!

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Hi

Wotcha Dick – glad things are going better for you.

Surely the companies trying to get new grass varieties are seed merchants? I’m guessing but would they not patent their idea, not the seed itself? After all, seed companies have been cross breeding for years without patenting the seed itself. Patenting a living organism was not possible until recent times when suddenly, somehow, it happened.

I used to work for a place that tested various woods for resistance to attack by death watch beetle etc and also tested various plants. The place was government owned and was a research establishment.

The farmers involved found out that they had genetically altered seed on their land when their weed killer didn’t kill it. In one instance it survived around the telegraph poles in a farmer’s fields. And he contacted the weed killer company. It later turned out that the seed blew from a truck whose tarpaulin became loose. The company who patented the seed took the farmer to court and won.

To go back a little bit: in an effort to control weeds more easily, the company made strong weedkillers and, as time went by, farmers were having to use it more and more often. In other words, it was failing them. Instead of putting it back on the shelf, the company that made it then decided that, if they could genetically engineer the crop to make it resistant to their weed killer, you could spray the crop often and it would survive (just as the weeds were starting to do). The fact that the weed killer wasn’t great and was being used more often didn’t seem to matter – especially I suppose as it meant they were selling bucketloads of the stuff.

This genetic engineering is not cross-breeding, as happens in Nature. What they do does not occur in nature – well, until now. They are actually playing with Nature itself. Even though ‘Nature’s red in tooth and claw’. Do they really think – correction, they obviously believe that if they change something here, and something else there, they can change Nature to the way they want it to be. Or they don’t care or perhaps worse still, are so driven, so blinkered, that they do not even know. They have and are most certainly affecting Nature – but changing it? They are false gods.

Sure, wasn’t mad cow disease spread in a similar fashion? We fed cows that which they would not eat ordinarily. In their feed was, basically, others cows remains. We made cows – cannibals. That’s the same way we got salmonella from chickens. Kept in an unnatural environment and then fed the egg shells from thousands of other chickens. What did we do to try and salvage the situation? Among other things, we gave the chickens vaccines.

I’ve just seen a pattern:

Use of the flu vaccine is heavily advertised, recommended and taken up. We are currently apparently in the midst of an epidemic of viral and bacterial chest infections, colds and flu. Perhaps the flu vaccine isn’t working? Playing silly beggars for the moment, what might be the next thing? Vaccines become strong enough to kill the bacteria and it’s host (you). So, drugs come along to make your tissue immune to the vaccine so it only kills the bacteria. Later, you may discover just what else you have become immune to – the goodness in the food you eat perhaps? Or more likely, the food itself unless it is genetically engineered to be immune to the vaccine. You would no longer be able to handle ordinary food and you will be eating only that which was never made by Nature.

Global warming was mentioned. What kills of some viruses, bacteria etc is cold or heat. The cold snap we used to get. whilst chilly. was not unwelcome to me. With temperatures warmer than previously, the viruses etc are surviving so we hit them with more vaccines etc. If the company that makes the vaccines is also in part responsible for global warming (though I was not aware of that previously) could there possibly be a conflict of interest there?

What I’ve written can doubtless be blown out of the water by the company concerned, Certainly legally in their home country. After all, they now legally (in that country) own living organisms (yeah, right). The absolute only reason anything I have said, as regards my thoughts, could be seen as a threat of any kind whatsoever, would be if they saw an element or a kernal of truth. So, I may voice my opinion – unless what I have said is absolutely and unargueably true. Why else would a company that a country’s government trusts to make vaccines etc be interested?

Why would a government change the ruling of years for that company?

The epidemic that is occurring at present is not the expected pandemic that seems to happen every so many years.

if you think it doesn’t affect you personally, try getting a child’s antibiotic in liquid form without artificial sweetener. Instead of being the exception to the rule it has quitely become the rule. Artificial sweeteners are in a lot more than fizzy drinks – look at the labels of the so called ‘good for you, stuff – it’s been around for years. I was surprised at some of the things I found it in – though it does explain why I didin’t like the taste.

The company who I think:
      make vaccines
      made the chemicals used during wars
      made sacharinn
      make aspartame
      make the weed killers
      managed to patent a living seed
      took seeds from the seed bank and patented them
      who genetically engineered plants
      who sued the farmers when the gentically engineered plants acccidentally turned up on their land
      who are buying up the seed companies

But it’s not merely the company It is the government who allow it, patent it, agree with it, buy the vaccine etc
      The company who sued the farmers

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 6:39 pm

Hi

Did anyone here ever hear of the company called Monsanto in the USA?

A doctor on TV in Ireland today said that you are better off sweetening your food with sugar or honey or fruits such as dates, raisins etc than the fake stuff.

Calcium was discused and she mentioned that, if you don’t get Vitamin D (frm the sunshine) and magnesium than you won’t be able to get enough calcium.

God bless

• Anonymous
      February 6, 2007 at 11:06 pm

T A

If you sweeten with locally grown honey it will help you deal with pollens etc that happen in your area. They are “in the honey”.

I have heard this, and used local honey to my nasal advantage.

Have a great day !!

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 9:59 am

Joan Rivers scares me ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 11:41 am

What scares me is how readily the American public is willing to give up their personal freedom ~ to the government ~ for the supposed sake of national security.

Example (as reported by the Associated Press): “Real ID Act of 2005” ~ this federal law sets a national standard for driver’s licenses and requires states to link their record-keeping systems to national databases. States will have to comply by May 2008 (that’s just next year!). If they do not, driver’s licenses that fall short of Real ID’s standards cannot be used to board an airplane or enter a federal building or open some bank accounts.

Just stop and think about the “Real Impact” this will have on individual lives. Currently, 7 states are objecting on privacy issues. As of January 2008, if you leave this country [I]for any reason[/I] you must have a passport to return. And as of May 2008 you would have to carry a national ID card to travel [I]inside this country[/I] . . .

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 11:52 am

Jer,

Maybe Im still asleep ..:p but are you ‘implying’ that the reason Joan Rivers scares you is because of the way she looks? And that the reason she looks that way is because she has been drinking too much sweetner, and has been eating too much genetically engineered food ……. as a result, she happens to be well and truly genetically pickled.

Just asking …..

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 2:21 pm

[QUOTE=ali]Jer,

Maybe Im still asleep ..:p but are you ‘implying’ that the reason Joan Rivers scares you is because of the way she looks? And that the reason she looks that way is because she has been drinking too much sweetner, and has been eating too much genetically engineered food ……. as a result, she happens to be well and truly genetically pickled.

Just asking …..[/QUOTE]

LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL–You are to funny Ali.Thank you for the laughs, I needed them today.

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Dear Ali:

I am scared by Joan Rivers because of the amount of cosmetic surgery she has had, allegedly. Every time she smiles her socks raise up. If she has another facelift, there won’t be anything left below her eyebrows but skull.

What really scares me is Celine Dion.

Lee

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 4:52 pm

OK Lee,

I’ll bite, why does Celine Dion scare you?

• Anonymous
      February 7, 2007 at 9:51 pm

Celine Dion looks like a drag queen.

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2007 at 12:16 am

Alive lobsters scare me is this kind of mania???/!!!!!

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2007 at 1:06 pm

Dear Ali:

Celine Dion is scary because she is harder to kill than a cockroach. She’s on the front of the Titanic shrieking that hideous song like some sort of harpy, the Titanic goes down and SHE LIVES!!!! And yes, Jerimy, she does looks like a drag-queen. Not one of the good bright light drag queens but the ones that really needs the dim lighthing to pull it off. Or so I am told.

Lee

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Talk about scary looking people, how about Boy George, now he scares the crap out of me. What a beast.

Does anyone know the name of the real scary comic who is an older man, wears a blonde wig, sequined jackets and throws confetti around? I can’t for the life of me remember his name, now that’s a scary man. He’s even been in some movies. I think his name has Kip in it.

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Dear Brandy:

The guy’s name is Rip Taylor. Now you’ve done it. You scared the children. Thanks a lot. How am I going to sleep tonight with images of Boy George, Celine Dion, and Rip Taylor etched into my brain. I will have to think happy thoughts from now till bedtime to get those images out of my mind. Perhaps Boy George, Celine Dion, Rip Taylor, Joan Rivers and a wood chipper……..

Lee

• Anonymous
      February 8, 2007 at 3:37 pm

Hi Lee,

Rip Taylor ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ is utterly the most scariest human in show business.

We could sprinkle “fairy dust” around for happy thoughts, oh no wait a minute, I think Rip Taylor does that.:eek: Sorry about scaring you, think about ‘Tinkerbell” oh no, wait a minute Boy George and Rip Taylor are alot on the “Tinkerbell”side.:eek:

Wood chipper you say? Hmmmm, why not.

• Anonymous
      February 9, 2007 at 9:56 am

Shouldn’t there be a Warning Posted on this thread, like :Parents-Keep Children Away From This Thread-Could Cause Bad Nightmares!!!WARNING!! ๐Ÿ˜€
      I’m with you there Lee, I can’t get that image out of my mind now either!:eek: Note to self-Think Happy Thoughts, Go to Happy Place!:)

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2007 at 11:13 pm

What scares me is high places.

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2007 at 12:53 am

One last image before you go to bed:

The Lion Lady, Queen of Plastic Surgery

galleryoftheabsurd.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/jocelyncat.jpg

• Anonymous
      March 9, 2007 at 9:59 pm

Speaking of kids,all the predators on Dateline scare me.What are these idiots thinking?I think they should send Boy George,Rip Taylor,and Joan Rivers to an island somewhere with all the perverts from Dateline.

• Anonymous
      March 17, 2007 at 10:47 pm

Making my Nascar picks for Atlanta tomorrow!

• Anonymous
      March 18, 2007 at 6:50 pm

Realizing that there are drivers out there that are crazier than I am ๐Ÿ˜€