What music soothes your GBS?

• July 29, 2010 at 11:13 am

Hey all. I want to start a thread to share what you are listening to to help. I believe that music is magical and spend the better part of any leisure or passive time listening to tunes. Please share here if music helps you heal, cope and deal with GBS.

• July 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

I’ll get the thread going.

I have been listening to a lot musicians whose work reflects life, death, happiness, sorrow, joy and pain.

To me the band Tool has been amazing. Their cds Lateralus and 10,000 Days focus lyrically quite a bit about sadder aspects of life (including a great deal about being very ill) against a very heavy powerful rhythm section. However in many songs there is a sense of a struggle against illness and surviving it, even being reborn from it (the song Lateralus is a perfect example). Much of 10,000 Days is about the singer’s mother who spent roughly 10,000 days in a hospital with a serious illness. Listener attention: some lyrics could be offensive to folks.

I have also enjoyed the last 5 cds that Johnny Cash put out through producer Rick Rubin. These gentle and dynamic works demonstrate Cash’s love for life, unerstanding of death, reflections on sorrow and joy. I’m not religious but listening to Cash singing ‘Why Me Lord’ is the closest I have felt to understanding God’s gift of life. His cover of the Beatles ‘In My Life’ is enhanced by his wisdom and humility which is all over these recordings. Besides that, any singer who can credibly cover artists as diverse as Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden, Leonard Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel, Depeche Mode, Hank Williams and many more deserves a listen.

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm

I am a “few” years older then you so not surprising my music listening is stuck in the 50’s and 60’s:rolleyes:
      I also enjoy listening to the Gaither Vocal Band a whole lot.
      Starting in late October I switch to Christmas music full time. Oh yes – I still believe in Santa Clause.
      ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm

NorthernGG, I appreciate and enjoy the levity you bring to the forums. ๐Ÿ™‚

I listen to World, Alternative and Celtic with a bit of the Oldies and Soul tossed in. Thankfully, we’re allowed to wear Ipods at work as I love music. Though I was never great at the couple instruments I played (the violin and the piano) pre-GBS I had quite the voice and sang background on a few albums.

Take care,

Tina

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Every once in a while I like to get out the ‘ol Gibson SG and play a few bars from CCR, Steppinwolf, or even the Stones! Takes me back to better times for sure. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      July 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Dan Gibson, Solitudes, turned way down.
      Leona Boyd’s Classical guitar, turned way down.
      Hymns, turned way, way down.
      Some Country and Wester, turned way, way, way down.
      Rock, punk, heavy metal music, turned OFF.

• July 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

thanks for the entries folks, keep them coming

Tina-thank you for that nice compliment

mallard- we gotta talk guitars sometime!

best to all!

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2010 at 12:26 pm

My music for today has been Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody cd). It’s making my workday go along quite well. ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a wonderful weekend.

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I’m very eclectic about music. When I really need a GBS pick me up my go to songs are “Stand Back Up” by Sugarland, “Stand” by Rascal Flatts, “Fight Like a Girl” (I can’t remember the artist right now), “Held” by Natalie Grant, “No Mountain for a Climber” & “Through the Fire” by the Crabb Family.

Alma~If you like the Gaither Vocal Band you would probably enjoy The Crabb Family. Especially some of their older stuff. Beautiful voices.

• July 30, 2010 at 1:04 pm

[QUOTE=Tina]My music for today has been Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody cd). It’s making my workday go along quite well. ๐Ÿ˜€

Have a wonderful weekend.[/QUOTE]

“I’m just a poor boy nobody loves me….bismillah!”

best to you and everybody else

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Hey NGG….how is life treating you?…. When I was in the hospital I listened to a lot of praise music from Michael W. Smith……as I progressed with my recovery and went to a re-hab facility, I began to listen to a lot of old 60’s music..from Blood Sweat and Tears…to the Stones…but my favorite group (and you should really like this NGG) far and away was the Guess Who, Greatest Hits Vol. I. Put the headphones on near bedtime and played for hours at times…..since I am not musical, I have a special respect for those of you who have musical talents……I was lucky enough to see the Guess Who in concert many years ago….Burton Cummings in my opinion had one of the most underrated voices in music for his time……..hope the day is going well……….

• July 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm

[QUOTE=Tom Fetterman]Hey NGG….how is life treating you?…. When I was in the hospital I listened to a lot of praise music from Michael W. Smith……as I progressed with my recovery and went to a re-hab facility, I began to listen to a lot of old 60’s music..from Blood Sweat and Tears…to the Stones…but my favorite group (and you should really like this NGG) far and away was the Guess Who, Greatest Hits Vol. I. Put the headphones on near bedtime and played for hours at times…..since I am not musical, I have a special respect for those of you who have musical talents……I was lucky enough to see the Guess Who in concert many years ago….Burton Cummings in my opinion had one of the most underrated voices in music for his time……..hope the day is going well……….[/QUOTE]

Hang on to your life, indeed!

I’m doing as well as well can be, I hope you are too.

GW are a great band and BC does rock. I can picture him now, with a smoke burning in his fingertips….I cant imagine how he could be so powerful like that! Maybe that was his secret. His loss our gain, he really gives himself to his fans.

[QUOTE]since I am not musical, I have a special respect for those of you who have musical talents[/QUOTE]

Tom we are all musical in some way. Linguistic-anthropologists believe we made music before we talked (please forgive my Darwinist leanings here:) ). You could find your voice Tom and if you can count to four you could play bass notes on a djembe in a drum circle:D

To all,have a pleasant musical day:cool: ๐Ÿ˜‰

• July 30, 2010 at 3:08 pm

I love all kind of music from African drumbeats to Jazz, Oldies but Goodies and Easy Listening to name a few. When I adopted a cat who was scared, fearful and timid I played classical music, because “music soothes the wild beast.” Maybe the kittys good adjustment to her new home was partly the result of the music. Now we listen to all different kinds of music.

• Anonymous
      July 30, 2010 at 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=KatyK] because “music soothes the wild beast.” [/QUOTE]

Indeed!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• July 31, 2010 at 8:48 am

[QUOTE=KatyK]I played classical music, because “music soothes the wild beast.” Maybe the kittys good adjustment to her new home was partly the result of the music. Now we listen to all different kinds of music.[/QUOTE]

Our cat has adjusted to our family’s noise levels. The other dy I had the tunes cranked during djembe therapy. Hazelnut just slept under a speaker:eek: ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ˜€

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I used to love listening to all kinds of music and rhythms, sometimes I’d even crank up the volume, but the GBS onset changed my hearing, and all sounds became intensely magnified and distorted.

If any sound was even a little over low volume, it startled me instantly, and my whole body would go into an involuntary tremor from head to toe that would last about a minute each time. Ordinary voices were all distorted, and I’d only speak in whispers or a very low tone, so I could stand the reverbs from my own voice on my nervous system. It took about 2 months before I could even use the radio again, or play even the quietest classical guitar music, and be able to stand the sound. Usually I’d turn the radio on, and after a couple of minutes, turn the volume down, then after a few more minutes turn it down again. The worst thing was the religious broadcasts I used to listen to for most of my life, but suddenly became unbearable, because the preacher was raising his voice all the time. I’d turn it lower, lower, lower till I could barely hear the sound, and yet the emotion in the voice was intensely grating on my nerves, and nothing but absolute silence soothed my nerves.

I’m thankful that some days now I can actually listen to the radio again for a little while. Violin is still unbearably screechy; drums intolerable; loud guitar impossible to bear, the drumming of a piano nerve-wracking, brass instruments startling, singing voices wearying. It’s been hard to teach music lessons in this particular state, but I get my students to play their instruments quietly. (I tell them the neighbours might hear, and I’d get in trouble with the landlord, but really it’s me not being able to tolerate sound like I used to.) Just this year, I have been able to sing a little again.

As my mind has been healing, I replay my favourite tunes and songs in my mind. The right song comes to mind quite often for whatever mood I’m in and what I need to give my own soul hope and counsel. Yesterday, it was “Sheltered In the Arms of God”.

• August 1, 2010 at 10:11 am

[QUOTE]I used to love listening to all kinds of music and rhythms, sometimes I’d even crank up the volume, but the GBS onset changed my hearing, and all sounds became intensely magnified and distorted. [/QUOTE]

Oh DU my heart was breaking while I read your post. I am sorry and hope that you can recover your love for listening.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I go from soul to light rock to classical and meditation music. It depends what kind of mood I’m in. Love it all, the louder the better!!
      Judy

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

No matter what was happening in the hospital, I’d just have to start “listening” to some Metallica in my head and it would drown everything out. I can still enjoy them.

However now ever sweet thing seems too sweet. I can only eat a little ice cream at a time and I have to follow chocolate milk up with water to dilute the sugar.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I am soothed by Leonard Cohen’s Anthem and Hallelujah sung by Rufus Wainright or Perla Batallia. Really like to hear Leonard Cohen’s wonderfully serene, raspy voice on his DVD, I’m Your Man. I play Hallelujah on the piano…as well as Puccini’s ” O mio babbino caro” and lots of Mozart. The GBS and my mother’s passing left my emotions raw so beautiful music brings lots of tears. When my dad died, my mother could no longer listen to the Sarah Brightman CD’s…..now I know why.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Well when i started my recovery from GBS i listened to a lot of Santana.
      Maybe cause I’m a fan, but it really helped me enjoy rehabilitation plus it annoyed the heck out of the nurses. I had a physical therapist who enjoyed it also and she would dance and sing for me to get me to relax before she hurt me in therapy. Every day she would ask me if she could put on my CD and i would nod in agreement. I think the guitar riffs have a lot of emotion and this helped me conquer my pain during my workouts. Some songs that really made me feel at ease were “Let the children play”, “Samba pa ti”, “I hope your feeling better”, ” Song of the wind” ” “Europa” and definitely “Everything is coming our way.”

• August 10, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I was listening to Soundgarden’s classic and very hard-rocking tune ‘Rusty Cage’ today and found the lyrics were very striking. It made me think about GBS and how we become trapped, almost ‘caged’ inside our bodies. I thought I’d post them for your time-wasting pleasure. This song RAWKS but Johnny Cash did a brilliant cover of it for folks with tamer tastes who want to ‘break their rusty cage and run’.

Rock on!:cool:

You wired me awake
      And hit me with a hand of broken nails
      You tied my lead and pulled my chain
      To watch my blood begin to boil

But I’m gonna break
      I’m gonna break my
      I’m gonna break my rusty cage and run

Too cold to start a fire
      I’m burning diesel burning dinosaur bones
      I’ll take the river down to still water
      And ride a pack of dogs

I’m gonna break
      I’m gonna break my

Hits like a Phillips head into my brain
      It’s gonna be too dark to sleep again
      Cutting my teeth on bars and rusty chains

When the forest burns along the road
      Like God’s eyes in my headlights
      When the dogs are looking for their bones
      And it’s raining icepicks on your steel shore

I’m gonna break
      I’m gonna break my

• Anonymous
      August 15, 2010 at 10:59 pm

I enjoy just listening to Johnny Cash. His music brings me back to reality and I think of my situation as not too tough. Johnny Cash’s music has a variety of meanings for me. He was an amazing artist.

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I get knocked down
      I get up again
      Never gonna keep me down

Over and over. If I could figure out to get it as my ringtone, I would put it there… it’s my theme song.

• Anonymous
      August 16, 2010 at 8:32 pm

OH…and when I was in the first (of 7) hospital, for some reason the tv got stuck on that ‘soundscapes’ station. The nurses liked it because i had a big room, and the music was so soothing. The said it was the ‘spa room’. It didn’t feel like a spa to ME!

Before I got sick, I HATED that kind of music. You know… Enya, elevator music, that kind of ‘music’ (and I use the term loosely here).

But…that soothed me somehow. It was on for 3 1/2 weeks, until I left that hospital and moved on to the next one. I never wanted to hear it again…but there you have it.

๐Ÿ™‚

• August 17, 2010 at 8:59 am

[QUOTE=Brandt]I get knocked down
      I get up again
      Never gonna keep me down

Over and over. If I could figure out to get it as my ringtone, I would put it there… it’s my theme song.[/QUOTE]

‘we’ll be singing when we’re winning!’

• August 17, 2010 at 9:00 am

[QUOTE=lovemyford]I enjoy just listening to Johnny Cash. His music brings me back to reality and I think of my situation as not too tough. Johnny Cash’s music has a variety of meanings for me. He was an amazing artist.[/QUOTE]

nuff said!!

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2010 at 10:30 am

My husband is the big music lover in our family and has a lot of very different music on his ipod so we listen to a variety. I am embarrassed to say that we are Gleeks, just recently started watching the show “Glee” and so have been listening to a lot of this music. Also we have 2 young kids (2 and 4) so we have a playlist for them, which is varied but includes Ralph’s World (Ralph Covert), Spiderman theme song, Ghostbusters, Shake your mama (Scissor Sisters), Bladerunner music, etc, mostly danceable music. My kids favorite song right now is “Lay all your love on me,” both the ABBA and Erasure versions. On Friday nights, we play music, have a TGIF toast and boogie in our living room.

As for me, I like Journey and Nirvana Unplugged to sing along with in the car. I like the rocker chicks, Liz Phair, Gwen Stefani, Sheryl Crow, Rachael Yamagata. I am all over the board though. I went through a bluegrass period, “O brother art thou” soundtrack is awesome and Allison Krauss has the most amazing voice. In the past, I was into alternative music, New Order, Depeche Mode, etc. Been to several BoDeans concerts. Have gone on Enya kicks. That is the joy of music, there is so much variety, and you don’t have to be partial to just one type. If you are a true music lover, then you can love classical all the way to heavy metal. I have enjoyed reading people’s posts on here. Good idea for a thread.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2010 at 11:36 am

Not really a music person here, I just leave the tv on in the background

• August 19, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Hey Jessica

If you like alternative music check out this arcade fire video on youtube, they are my new favourite band and they take a lot from Bowie, New Order, Depeche Mode, however they use no drum machines or computers

crank it!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vS5crSXJ6k&feature=fvst[/url]

• August 20, 2010 at 11:25 am

Brandt, try your cell phone provider first to see if its there.

[QUOTE=Brandt]I get knocked down
      I get up again
      Never gonna keep me down

Over and over. If I could figure out to get it as my ringtone, I would put it there… it’s my theme song.[/QUOTE]

• August 20, 2010 at 11:27 am

Kinda new to the board…hello everyone!

Music has always been very special to me, so I enjoy listening to smooth jazz and old school R&B. Makes me dance, makes me smile, makes me think, calms me down, cheers me up….music does everything for me!

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2010 at 9:33 pm

When I was my sickest I listened to classical and piano on “low”. Now I can’t stand all those beautiful CD’s I used to because I played them when I was so ill.

Sometimes a real old rocker like Tom Petty or REM will come on as I’m scanning stations in the car and I”ll blast it full throttle.

• August 22, 2010 at 12:02 am

[QUOTE=limekat]When I was my sickest I listened to classical and piano on “low”. Now I can’t stand all those beautiful CD’s I used to because I played them when I was so ill.

Sometimes a real old rocker like Tom Petty or REM will come on as I’m scanning stations in the car and I”ll blast it full throttle.[/QUOTE]

Right on limekat! I’m going to see Tom Petty in Toronto on Wednesday. The waiting is the hardest part;) I am so looking forward to this show. I was ready to give up the tix but now refuse to let GBS take this. We reserved parking right in the arena parking. Crosby, Stills and nash are opening. This is good as it’s getting to the point where I’m no fun anymore;)

Alright, I gotta stop. Keep rocking!

• Anonymous
      August 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

Sent ya a Private Message.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2010 at 8:29 pm

By the grace of God and a few good samaratins… I made it to see [B]Heart[/B] at our Zoo Amiphitheatre last Friday night. Temps were above 100 and I was very scared as I headed out. They had moved the handicapp parking to way far away and with the heat, I almost went back to my car to leave. But then a golf cart came by and gave me a ride almost to my seating area. And the same happened when I left – got a ride right to my car. It was a blast!!! It was disappointing that I could no longer make it toward the stage like I used to… but I was so happy to be hearing the music I was. Ann Wilson so totally still has her voice.

People looked at me strange as I walked with my cane to get a burger. Again, I was so grateful to even be there I didn’t care.

Live music has always been healing to my soul. I used to love to dance the whole time and that is frustrating as I can barely ‘chair dance’.

Rock On!!!

• August 25, 2010 at 7:52 am

[QUOTE=Chrissy]By the grace of God and a few good samaratins… I made it to see [B]Heart[/B] at our Zoo Amiphitheatre last Friday night. Temps were above 100 and I was very scared as I headed out. They had moved the handicapp parking to way far away and with the heat, I almost went back to my car to leave. But then a golf cart came by and gave me a ride almost to my seating area. And the same happened when I left – got a ride right to my car. It was a blast!!! It was disappointing that I could no longer make it toward the stage like I used to… but I was so happy to be hearing the music I was. Ann Wilson so totally still has her voice.

People looked at me strange as I walked with my cane to get a burger. Again, I was so grateful to even be there I didn’t care.

Live music has always been healing to my soul. I used to love to dance the whole time and that is frustrating as I can barely ‘chair dance’.

Rock On!!![/QUOTE]

Chrissy that is so cool! I saw Heart about 25 yrs ago and they put on a great show. Did they RAWK Barracuda? That has one of the best guitar riffs of all time!

The best part is that you said (bleep!) it I’m going. I hope this gave you a boost and that you are at live shows in the future. I’m even thinking about getting out to a bar for some live entertainment. I’m off tonight to see Tom Petty (even the losers get lucky sometimes:) ).

Let’s all rock GBS/CIDP outta here!

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2010 at 11:26 am

Yes, they did do Barracuda!!! Also, they did several songs from their new album to be released I think they said this week ๐Ÿ˜€ How do you deal with the stairs at a regular concert? I guess you can tell me after tonight with Tom Petty… last dance with Mary Jane…

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 12:01 am

The most beautiful music in my life is my husband, singing off key, his “new and improved” words to all sorts of songs we know – adding unpublishible lyrics, or love songs, or just being goofy – what he does for me is make me laugh and appreciate his wacky humor – and all for me!

• August 26, 2010 at 2:22 am

Steven Halpern….great relaxation music and helps with meditation.

• August 26, 2010 at 10:50 am

Tom Petty rocked! He went right through his whole vault of tunes, playing some great oldies-Breakdown!-mid-career-Free Fallin-and personal faves-Learning to Fly. Lisa and I had fun and it was a great anniversary celebration for us.

As for the GBS side of it we were very fortunate. We pulled right up to the arena after a grueling traffic battle in downtown Toronto. Found parking fast and cheaper than the gouging we expected. Our seats were on street level and close to the aisle and only three stairs up. It was perfect!:)

I’ll admit I’m a little sore today but the cost of the battle is cheap for the benefit of the victory.

Charge on GBS Family!

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I am so happy for you that Tom Petty rocked as expected! Because of you I went to another concert last nite at the zoo again – Buddy Guy, Al Green and BB King ๐Ÿ˜€ This time a girlfriend went with me and with my ‘gift of gab’ I found a very close parking spot. I got a bit braver this time and walked around with my cane in my area of people talking to them and did not fall down *yeah* Boy am I feeling it in my legs and feet today. Small price to pay for happiness for a few hours.

I am very grateful for the 2 summer concerts this year… it had been 4 years since I had been out to the zoo!

And its all because of you my fellow rocker ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank You

• August 29, 2010 at 9:12 am

[QUOTE=Chrissy]I am so happy for you that Tom Petty rocked as expected! Because of you I went to another concert last nite at the zoo again – Buddy Guy, Al Green and BB King ๐Ÿ˜€ This time a girlfriend went with me and with my ‘gift of gab’ I found a very close parking spot. I got a bit braver this time and walked around with my cane in my area of people talking to them and did not fall down *yeah* Boy am I feeling it in my legs and feet today. Small price to pay for happiness for a few hours.

I am very grateful for the 2 summer concerts this year… it had been 4 years since I had been out to the zoo!

And its all because of you my fellow rocker ๐Ÿ˜‰ Thank You[/QUOTE]

Hey Chrissy!

I say thanks for the kind words, but I’ll mention that it was YOU who got your butt down to the amphitheater and you are awesome for doing so.

Music is so powerful and seeing it performed live is how it is truly meant to be experienced. I hope you can all get out to enjoy some live music. It’s quite likely that your ears are GBS free and that’s all that’s needed to enjoy tunes.

I’ll leave you folks with some lyrics from one of my favourite bands Metric. This song knocks me out and could easily be a GBS anthem.

I tremble
      They’re gonna eat me alive
      If I stumble
      They’re gonna eat me alive

Can you hear my heart beating like a hammer, beating like a hammer
      Help, I’m alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer
      Hard to be soft, tough to be tender
      Come take my pulse, the pace is on a runaway train
      Help, I’m alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer, beating like a hammer

If you’re still alive
      My regrets are few.
      If my life is mine,
      what shouldn’t I do?
      I get wherever I’m going,
      I get whatever I need
      while my bloods still flowing
      and my heart still beats.

Help, I’m alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer
      Hard to be soft, tough to be tender
      Come take my pulse, the pace is on a runaway train
      Help, I’m alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer, beating like a hammer

Help, I’m alive, my heart keeps beating like a hammer.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Went to a classic car rally with my hubby today and they were playing one
      of my favorites… “Georgia” by Ray Charles. Sing it Ray Baby!!!
      Miss Judy

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2010 at 12:27 am

for the time being, Christmas music.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

Saw Tom Petty back in 1999. Great show.

Huge music fan – used to go to a lot of concerts. Music was one of the few things that kept me sane when I was in the hospital and nursing home.

I’m an old school metal head at heart (AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, old KISS, Alice Cooper, Slayer, etc. etc.) so I scared away more than my share of old folks and staff members.

But I’m a big fan of classic rock as well (Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, CCR, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix)

Can’t workout without my iPod Touch. It’s as necessary as water.

• November 28, 2010 at 1:45 pm

[QUOTE=emitch74]Saw Tom Petty back in 1999. Great show.

Huge music fan – used to go to a lot of concerts. Music was one of the few things that kept me sane when I was in the hospital and nursing home.

I’m an old school metal head at heart (AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, old KISS, Alice Cooper, Slayer, etc. etc.) so I scared away more than my share of old folks and staff members.

But I’m a big fan of classic rock as well (Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, CCR, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix)

Can’t workout without my iPod Touch. It’s as necessary as water.[/QUOTE]

hello

what a great list of bands here! my cover band plays most of the stuff here, we look forward to getting back to regular jams

I agree about music helping keep sanity:cool:

my latest favourite cd has been ‘All Things Must Pass’ by george harrison, the title song’s lyrics are inspiring towards hope:

[I]Sunrise doesn’t last all morning,
      a cloudburst doesn’t last all day.
      Seems my love is up
      and has left you with no warning.
      It’s not always going to be this grey.

All things must pass,
      all things must pass away.

Sunset doesn’t last all evening,
      a mind can blow those clouds away.
      after all this my love is up
      and must be leaving.

All things must pass,

All things must pass
      none of life’s strings can last.
      So I must be on my way,
      face another day.

Darkness only stays at nighttime,
      in the morning it will fade away.
      Daylight has a habit of arriving at the right time.

All things must pass,
      All things must pass,
      all things must pass away. [/I]

stay hopeful for all:)

• November 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm

[QUOTE=lovemyford]for the time being, Christmas music.[/QUOTE]
      nice….I like Run Run Rudolph by Chuck Berry:D

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2010 at 8:20 pm

I have much of the music suggested here on my ipod (80 gig) and a slew of audio books as well. A cheap way to download audio books is the public library. I have everything from Shakespeare plays, to Classics, to murder mysteries, to philosophy. Every genre under the sun is free on audio CD at the library. Some kind of mp3 player and a program to play them on is all that is required.

And books serve the same purpose as music – they take the mind away from current pain and problems. The BBC recently publised a list of 100 books they believed a literate adult should read. I’ve made a serious dent in it, altho that is not my intention. My intention is to get to sleep without taking another pain pill. Boks and music both work.

• Anonymous
      December 6, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Elvis sooths my soul, love his gospel songs especially Amazing Grace. Eva Cassidys great too.Listening to music , drinking a bailys, love it.

• December 7, 2010 at 9:44 am

I’m so glad that we have folks posting on this thread, I may sound naive but I believe in the healing power of music.

Linguistic anthropologists all concur that we sang before we talked and certainly the first instruments were percussive. It’s in our DNA folks!

Ms. judy and zanna, I’m glad you brought up ray charles and the king….I’ve been all over Fats Domino, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison and of course, Elvis and Ray for the past week.

Good golly miss molly they sure like to ball!

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2010 at 11:30 am

During my darker days in the Hospital, I would imagine-listen to some of the louder songs from Metallica. To zone out some of the more painful parts of treatment.

• December 7, 2010 at 1:59 pm

hello folks

mark, metallica rocks! my favourite heavy band during early recovery was tool

I have been trying to play more, even though it is still very tough…..anyway I recorded a little chord progression and thought I would share it with you all, it’s dedicated to alice, luv ya sis!

[url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1088068&songID=9969671[/url]

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm

When I was in the hospital there was a harpist that came into my room and played for about an hour at the foot of my bed.What a blessing that was!!!

ron

• Anonymous
      December 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Hey everybody. Great thread~! Total music-lover here…my wife and I recently reached 15,00+ songs in our iTunes.

I definitely believe in the healing power of music. I’m 40, and I’ve been a bass player since 1994. I had only been playing a little over a year when I came down with GBS. I brought my crappy, low-fi bass with me to the rehab hospital, and I played it unplugged inbetween therapy classses. It helped bring back hand and finger dexterity. I’ve never 100% regained the ability to play as long as I did pre-GBS, but I can’t complain.

While I was in the hospital and in the physical rehab facility with GBS back in the summer of 1995, I was listening to a lot of the [B]Grateful Dead [/B]to help pass the time and pull me through. Unfortunately, while in the hospital Jerry Garcia passed away. As a long-time “DeadHead” it was awful for me not to be able to go to the memorials that my friends went to, but listening to the music helped get me through; the Dead’s music is so joyous and life-affirming that I believe it did help me quite a lot. I listened to “Terrapin Station” every night, and a tape of their concert from May 8, 1977.

While in hospital/rehab I also listened to a lot of Bob Dylan (I had bootleg cassettes of the complete Basement Tapes to help pass my time), REM…and speaking of George Harrison, NorthernGuitarGuy, The Beatles. My dad is from Liverpool, so I’ve always been a big fan of the “Fab Four”.

Although I’ve become an “old fogey” and am pretty out of touch with what’s now popular, lol, I’ve really been enjoying the band [B]ARCADE FIRE [/B]lately. They put out an album this year called “The Suburbs” that is tremendous. But, and this is GBS related, a few years back they did a song called “My Body Is a Cage”, that as a GBS sufferer really resonated with me. Peter Gabriel covered it on his all-cover record this year, “Scratch My Back”. Either version is highly recommended. I also love a little-known “modern” bluegrass band called “Railroad Earth”, who are just the greatest; they also help through times of GBS pain and/or depression.

As the O’Jays once said, “Music is the healing force of the world” ๐Ÿ™‚

• December 16, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I’ve been listening to Tom Petty (southern accents), Grateful Dead, Neil Young, and some old Van Halen. Pretty much anything to help keep the mood positive. Makes a big difference in the day!!!

• Anonymous
      December 16, 2010 at 7:11 pm

I like Jonny Cash the long black train.
      I also have dish network & they have a channel dish earth, it has a satallight view of the earth cloud cover its really amazing to look @ & this channel the music they play is classical… this channel helps to calm me down abit if I get real upset about being the way I am..
      I know God has a purpose for me with the new life he has given me, even though I’m disabled, unemployable & in pain most days & unable to drive.. lost my independence there … major Killer !!& I know I’m not going to make full recovery !!

Dx Nov 10, 2006 Severe case Autoimmune

• December 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm

hey istaroaz…..that sounds terrible, I do admire your ability to keep going……I have pushed the full recovery bit…perhaps we just need to seek happiness and friendship:)

I hope you can smile while listening to my latest groove…..I wouldn’t ever have posted this, but Mario my drummer and his daughter Ines liked it….it was recorded way too late and after too many beers….it’s called ‘my babbling gbs’… vocals are hard to get back, diaphragm still in paralysis as well as abs so I just slurred my way through it….I was going to put better vocals down, but forgot to save the file! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ so it will stand for ever as it is, enjoy!:D

fingers coming back slowly but surely, hope tough to come by, worth the search

my best to all who celebrate Christmas, and to all of my rockin’ GBS/CIDP family I say keep up the fight

[url]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1088068&content=music[/url]

• Anonymous
      December 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm

[FONT=”Microsoft Sans Serif”]happy holidays to you and everyone here!!
      alice[/FONT]

• December 24, 2010 at 9:47 am

I don’t have gbs or cidp, Kevie does, but Kid Rock soothes my pissed Kevie has cidp woes. As a matter of fact, Kis Rock soothes “everything”!!