what little things do you do that help you feel better?

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 2:44 pm

so, i was thinking it would be cool to share the little things we all do that make us feel better. sure this has been done before, but i don’t know where to look.

What i do:

1. Lay outside, rather than in my bed or on my couch.

2. Open the patio doors and sit in front of them with a big glass of ice water.
      (if i can’t manage to get myself outside in a lounge chair).

3. Eat fresh strawberries, slowly, smelling each one several times:p
      My husband buys em for me every time he gets groceries. Love that guy!

4. Get my hubbies pj’s, slippers, and towel ready for his shower and his clothes ready for work. (it may take hours, but it’s great for both of us!)

5. Send my hubby a flirty text message. A nice surprise when he’s at work!
      (when i can’t get out of bed and i look like crap, but he doesn’t know it!)

6. Listen to “my” music with my kids. (al green, cindy lauper, 38 special, beastie boys, run dmc, bob seger, led zepplin, selena, etc).

(My husband and i are from multi-racial families, so the variety of artists is awesome! And my kids recognize the influence these artists have on today’s music. Funny story: me and my 13 year-old son were at my doc appt and he was listening to his ipod. Doc asked him what was better, the music in the office or his ipod music. My son says, “Well, that depends. Do you consider Al Green, Marvin Gaye, and Luther Vandross to be good?” The doc got this huge smile and told my son that he definitely won the music issue.)

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Jamie, good idea for a thread. I’ve thought about it myself.
      Now that the weather is nice, it’s all about being outside for me.
      We live in the country and have a stream running through our property.
      I like to drive the golf cart down to the stream and just sit and listen to the little water fall.
      A snooze in the hammock is always good, especially because I can have my legs elavated.
      A glass of wine under the tree, in a nice lounge chair later in the evening…guess life isn’t so bad…

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 4:14 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”2″]’When the workin’ day is done, oho girls just wanna have fun’
      [IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/oldbat2ccats/creaturedance.gif[/IMG]
      Whew Jamie, tough time to be pregnant, that alone is draining, you are one brave girl. Good on ya!:)
      JayDee, how on earth do you get up in a hammock?, even when i had two good legs i needed six men and a little boy to hoist me up so i wouldn’t fall off the other side:D
      After being more or less trapped inside all winter, being outside or even just having the windows open is enough to make me smile.
      Thanx for the new thread Jamie
      V[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      June 7, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Amen! on that hammock issue! I’ve certainly entertained the idea of a hammock, but i already end up on my head just trying to lay in my lounge chair! It’s one of those cheapies that has the legs that fold under, no matter how far you open them! So, there i am, head in the grass, feet in the air, with my big baby bump in my throat! Only the guys around me never offer to help:rolleyes:

We did manage to get to our place upnorth on memorial weekend. Wow! It was kinda cold (northern michigan), so i took my blanket and pillow and waddled my butt down to the dock. Took a nap right at the end of it, with the water beneath me and the wind all around me! So refreshing!!!

Enjoy the nice weather everybody!!!

• June 7, 2008 at 11:06 pm

Great idea for a thread! Makes ya count your blessings and realize there are many great things in our lives in spite of GBS.

I really enjoy curling up with a book. I have read thru all my favorite authors (dean koontz, t jefferson parker, charlaine harris, janet evanovich, and others) and have been having fun trying new authors. My new favorite (almost thru all her books as well) is Kim Harrison. It is relaxing to escape into another world and life for a while. During the summer, I like finding a cozy spot outside in the shade and reading the day away if nothing else is going on.

I also enjoy soaking in the tub with epsom salts (helps when my muscles are achy) and using a nicely scented body wash and lotion and putting on a pretty pair of pj’s.

Renting a few chick flicks and guilty pleasures and curling up in bed and watching as many as I can.

Photography! I have found that looking at the world thru a lens and capturing a tiny moment of time is rewarding and relaxing.

Writing in a journal. From silly things to feeling miserable, joys and pride, gripes and fears. It helps immensely.

Fixing meals for my family, spending time with them. In the evening, lately, my 9 year old daughter has been reading to me. I usually end up falling alseep in her bed, which she hopes I will stay asleep so she can snuggle with me LOL! I also enjoy just listening when I spend quiet time one on one with each of them. Some days I just dont feel like talking much, but I have learned a lot from them by just listening to them. When I was first sick, my 14 year old and my 9 year old would somehow snuggle on the couch with me and my 17 year old would sit on the floor beside me holding my hand. They were scared for me and all wanted to make me better…if all they could do was be as close to me as possible, that was wonderful for all of us. I guess GBS has been a “blessing” because my kids and I are a lot closer now and they have learned patience and to offer help more often.

Otter pops! Watching it snow, rain, the wind blow, admiring the bright colors of nature, driving with my window down and listening to the birds and catching the scent of blooming flowers and trees and freshly cut grass and fields. At night I love falling alseep to the sound of the frogs across the road in the creek and waking up to the multitude of sparrows and robins that call our back fence and nearby trees home.

Walking thru the house when it is absolutely silent at night and thanking God for my family and our home together. And loving everything about it all.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 11:27 am

The things that make me feel better are usually unscheduled.

Like yesterday: I made my way downstairs on my butt to reprogram our water sprinkler/drip system. After that I decided to watch the last two episodes of Star Trek. It was on an old-fashioned laserdisc the size of an LP, still unopened. It was pretty cool to watch it on a large flatscreen. I used to love this show, never missed an episode.

Afterwards we had quite a laugh. I was slowly working my way up holding onto the hand rail with both hands when my pants slowly started sliding down. I could not let go to pull them up because I would have lost my balance otherwise. So I just kept going, my pants sliding lower and lower. I called for help. Carol came and lo and behold, my nosy MIL who is visiting from OK, rushed to the top of the steps to watch the spectacle. It clarified for her once and for all whether I was wearing boxers or briefs. I kept hoping that the boxers I was wearing wouldn’t gape open too much. 😮

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 2:00 pm

norb,

you had me laughing so hard! you are so funny and im glad you can see the humor in your story!

The other day, i had an embarassing experience when my 13 year-old son had a friend stay the night. I had bought my kids two bunnies, plus we have a black lab. I was too weak to get dressed, so i had on only what i had slept in (a t-shirt and undies) and a long wrap-around sweater that i was wearing like a robe. Im very pregnant though, so i had to hold the bottom of it closed, as my baby bump kept it open. Well, i was talking to the boys, who had the bunnies running around the bedroom, when the dog pushed his way past me and was trying to eat the new furry little creatures he found. I instantly grabbed him with both hands, trying to pull him out of the room. 😮 My “robe” was all the way open, so there i was, in my undies right in front of my son’s friend. I felt so stupid:o I made him promise not to tell a soul!

Odd mama,

you are good with words. When are you going to start on your own book? I love the way you describe your world. Felt like i was right there with you. thanks for the escape! Tell your kids Jamie says they rock! You had me in tears talking about them!

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Jamie I agree!! Great idea for a thread! Makes you count your blessings and realize there are many great things in our lives in spite of GBS. This only proves that those that keep that possitive attitude and struggle to still enjoy the things that we love can live life just a little bit better when we do things we enjoy. Just like they say. Enjoy the simple things in life. I enjoyed watching the wild birds at the feeder after I got the new sliding door that I could open. The other one was old and frosted between layers. Wheels were worn out and the door was ready to be replaced. I could not open it to let the dogs out in the fenced in yard during the day while hubby was at work. Within a week my Hubby and my Brother installed it and made life easier. I would just sit in the other room and watch the birds and deer. Made my day go faster. I can not tell you how many times I fell asleep just looking out that door from the couch. Each day I would come here to check out the jokes and comments that others posted about something funny that happened to them or progress they had that day. Each little things was a big brag for me. Slowly I caught movies I never would have watched and I really did enjoy them. Music was a biggie that took me back in time. Doing genealogy and scrapbooking also kept my mind busy even if the body did not keep up there was a lot of planning to do. Now with my new camera I take a day here and there to just go to the park and take photos of things at the parks. Gives me a reason to move around from place to place at my pace. Sit and just watch for the right moment to snap that photo. Seeing photos that ones have posted her got that photo bug in my active again. Each and every post has made me think. I can do that or I can not wait till I get to do those things again. They always gave me goals! Visiting here I was never let down! Typing improved too when I post all those long messages. Funny thing is I listen to people and love to watch people. I don’t talk as much as I type. Guess that is why I have enjoyed watching my improvement by Journaling to see not daily results but how well I am doing from the early days I spent just looking out the window until I fell asleep. Thanks Jamie for making all those good memories come back! We are survivors! There is a quality to my life and I see it is in others lives too! Thanks for sharing! Great group and good thread.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 5:18 pm

I agree with others Jamie, Great Idea for a thread!
      I like to come on this site to make myself feel better. The pics, the jokes, the talk, and the mental pictures I get from reading the things other people experience. Norb, I can picture diamond shapes in a multitude of colors, and the look on your mils’ face must have been priceless:eek: 😉 You are such a Hoot!!!:D Lori, I can picture you writing books for kids. You do have a way with words. Jamie, i wouldn’t recommend the hammock until after the babe is born. and I can still hear the snickering from the boys! Been there done that, without baby though. I feel refreshed already!!!

I like to relax to the sounds of nature as well, frogs at my mil and birds outside my windows. I enjoy photography, thanks to Ken-L. I never really took many pics before meeting Ken, now I can’t stop looking for just that right pic! Good thing I use a digital camera, otherwise the film would be spilling out my windows and doors.
      I enjoy getting together with my family, having a cookout and laughing our heads off at silly things we did when we were young. We had a brunch cookout this morning, it was really hot and muggy but I didn’t feel it while I was cooking up breakfast for everyone along with 2 of my brothers. Time seemed to have crept right away from us. Now comes the hard part of making the scrapebook for my Mom and Dad. Ya busy Kit?
      Lately I have been able to enjoy fishing. Some days are better than others, but as long as I’m fishing they all seem to be alittle more tolerable. Speaking of which, I think I hear my pole calling my name….you know I can’t ignore that!! Take Care All.

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Thanks for the laugh Norb, I’ve had a few moments like that when laughter is the only recourse to total embarrasment.

What makes me feel better?

Doing things for other people – like making homemade rolls for my husband’s lunch sandwich
      Doing things for my self – like shaving my legs, which has become an occasional event due to the totally weird feeling of having partially numb legs and running a razor over them and the fact that the hair only grow in small patches now 😮
      Drawing – assuming my eyes and fingers cooperate
      Reading – a rare event, words are hard to focus on for long
      Watching the birds and squirrels – they are funny, and some of them are quite used to me by now
      Coming to the forum – makes me feel like I’m not alone
      Doing something I think I can’t do – this is rare, usually if I think I can’t do it I pretty much can’t but sometimes I surprise myself… I haven’t been able to lift my left arm above my chest for two years but I did it today putting the dishes away. WOO WOO!! 😀

• Anonymous
      June 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm

i know i say this all the time, but you guys are great!

I don’t have my picture for you, so i thought id do that tonight. went looking for one to post, and that is when i realized that im the picture-taker of the family. So, all the pics are of everyone but me!

I love taking photos! Hubby loads them into the computer, and then i edit them. Love it!!!

We have some cool pics from the beach, zoos and the butterfly house on mackinaw island. Close-ups with awesome colors.

Took a nice pic of my son on the beach, then edited, cropped and changed to black and white. Gorgous!!! He looks like a cherub with his big, blue eyes, and cashmere-soft blonde curls! And the property on the lake has been in my husband’s family for something like 120 years, so there is sentimental value in the pic, too. Photography is sooo relaxing! Sounds like you all agree!

Yeah, about the hammock…i look rediculous enough upside-down in the hot-pink lounge chair, let alone wrapped up like a cacoon in the trap they call a hammock:eek: Really, though, i think i’ll get one when i go back to work. They just look sooo cumfy:p

• June 8, 2008 at 11:34 pm

I have a flickr account if anyone is interested in seeing some of my odds and ends. I was excited to find out Ken has one and have enjoyed browsing his gallery.

Like Jamie, I am the picture taker, so I only have a couple of older ones of myself. Doesnt help that I dont like pics of myself anyhow LOL! Does anyone else have online albums to share?

Mine is:
      [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/average_everyday_sane_psycho/[/url]

I’d love to see photos from everyone else!

Also, thank you for the kind words about my writing. I have often been told I should write children’s books. And, used to write everything from poetry to short stories. Even have a couple of awards for some of my work 🙂 But, it has been so long since I have put pen to paper and let the words flow from me in an expressive, artistic, or imaginative way that I am not sure I remember how. Sometimes I hear a line of poetry in my mind when I see or experience something, but as soon as I try to let it loose with a pen, it hides away mocking me into frustration.

Enough rambling from me, I do appreciate the encouragement and the smile you gave to me with your compliments.

~Lori

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 1:13 am

I used to be a 70 hour management consultant; travelling constantly and fixing all the world’s problems each and every week! 😉 I did this for about 8 years with CIDP, until I finally recognised and accepted the wreckage in my body; knew I couldn’t do it anymore and decided to stop.

Now I am home most of the time. I never thought I was a gardener; now I have a back deck covered in lots of different pots full of beautiful succulent plants, each with their own unique colour and surprises. If I can do abit of gardening in a day, trimming, watering, transplanting — wow, it makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Even just enjoying sitting out in the sun with them is nice.

The other thing is “putting my face on”. That is something my Grandmother used to say, I never really understood it until now that I have reached my advanced age !! My GP knows I feel rotten if I turn up with no makeup, he even is concerned if I don’t have lipstick on!! (I don’t even actually wear alot of makeup!) It is all that “if you look good, you feel good” stuff….doesn’t always work…..!

And, echoing the posts of alot of the others, being able to do something for your family. For me, being with my 11 year old boy is really special. Feeling well enough to get up for the early Saturday soccer game. Joining him on the Playstation for a few minutes until it hurts too much, or even just playing catch. Kids resilience is outstanding. Nothing feels better than an “I love you, Mom” 🙂

Debs

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 1:25 am

Im gonna have to go to those flickr things! Never heard of em. Is it something you pay for? Do business over? Just for fun? Sounds cool!

I am new here, so i was wondering today if there is some kind of photo gallery where you folks have been posting pictures, besides the ones in your profiles.

Found a new thing tonight that made me feel so relaxed! Remember that Bob Ross guy – the painter with the afro? My hubby recorded one of his shows today, because he was doing a light house scene (grandma used to take us to lighthouses when we were kids). The guy’s voice is as calm and relaxing as his paintings. You should try it sometime!

About writing – have you ever considered recording your thoughts when you arent able to write them down? Sometimes, my typing can’t keep up with my thoughts and emotions and i lose some of them. Haven’t tried recording myself, though. Not good at taking my own advice:rolleyes:

I write a lot, especially since ive gotten sick. Sometimes it is just about emotional stuff, but a lot about my health. Thought maybe it could help me or others in the future. Ever thought about writing as a career? Thats something we could do from home, i think. Wonder how to go about that? That is wonderful that you’ve won awards for your writing!!! You rock:cool:

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 10:24 am

While reading the posts in this particular thread I came to realize…’one of the little things that makes me feel better’…is reading all you have shared in this thread.
      Just kind of a “feel good thread”.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 11:05 am

[QUOTE=fairly_odd_mother]I have a flickr account if anyone is interested in seeing some of my odds and ends.
      [/QUOTE]
      wow! That’s quite a collection with amazing pictures. I didn’t know where to start. Thanks for sharing it. We have one too but it’s only a free account with three categories allowed. Carol is doing all the work and this is what she picked for the thousands of pictures we have.

[COLOR=”Navy”]www.flickr.com/photos/ourbluemarble[/COLOR]

• June 9, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Oh Norb they are wonderful! I had a smile on my face while browsing thru the photos. A mini vacation full of love, character, and feeling. Your family is beautiful, Thailand is beautiful…I adore the simplicity and happiness of the lifestyle! Thank you so much for sharing a part of your life:D

And thank you for the compliments on my photos. It’s a wonderful way to relax and see the world just a little differently.

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Hi.
      I’m Wendy and new to this forum. [My second post]. I was drawn right to this thread, yes – a wonderful idea to talk about the things you do to feel better. But at the risk of bringing anybody down, I’d like to share with you the weird stage I seem to be in. As I read all these happy things you all describe, I find myself thinking how wonderful they are, and how upsetting it is to me that I’m NOT find happiness in them right now. And to make things worse, I feel guilty that I’m not thanking God for every wonderful moment, considering where I was only months ago. Maybe some of you can identify with this…perhaps you’ve been here? Things that would normally make me happy just don’t seem worth the effort right now. I’m usually a people person, but find I don’t want to be around people at all. My thoughts are too variable and my concentration not dependable, so I don’t want to feel stupid around people. I’m in the 5th month since diagnosis. [GBS diagnosed and first infustion was 01Feb08]. I’m telling myself that this will pass. I was SO happy a couple of months ago, as I started to improve. I remember even smiling when I could lift the tea pot by myself and being thankful for everything around me. Now nothing makes me smile. I WANT to smile when I see birds building a nest, or WANT to feel the urge to get my camera out when I see a beautiful sunset but … I don’t. I’ll keep reading your “feel better” words and hopefully the magic will come back.
      Wendy

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I love going rveing with a group of friends ,and hanging in my butterfly chair ,or reclining lounge ,at a campfire all night long.Then going to the hot tub and hang out there ,when parked at a private camp ground that has one.
      Hope I will be able to absorb some of that increase of fuel prices this year……………….!

• June 9, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Wendy,
      It sounds like a normal phase we all go thru/are going thru/have gone thru. I think it is part depression, part grief. Sometimes it is difficult to be happy when so much is on your mind. I get down knowing I dont have the stamina I used to, or I have to ask for help with things I used to be able to handle on my own. It seems that sometimes GBS is the only thing on my mind, especially when I don’t feel good or a new twinge brings up unrational fears. Other days, I find happiness in every breath I take, every person I meet, every step I take. Other days, I don’t care if the sun is shining or the sky is bright and blue or the kids want my attention and time. All I want to do is lay alone and try to forget what GBS is doing and has done to me and my life, I want to cry but the tears won’t come. I am finding it easier to grasp that happiness that has seemed just out of my reach. GBS hasn’t beaten me, it has only made me slow down and take my time more often these days. And, in that, I get to experience small moments (sometimes even large moments) of joy and beauty.

Have you talked to your dr about depression? I tried taking Zoloft because I was also having anxiety problems, but it didnt agree with me at all. I hurt more than I did before and felt detached and even my family noticed the change. I dont know if there is something that will help with my anxiety without making me feel worse physically, but I am sure there is something that could help you thru this rough patch.

BIG HUG!!

[QUOTE=wendywings]Hi.
      I’m Wendy and new to this forum. [My second post]. I was drawn right to this thread, yes – a wonderful idea to talk about the things you do to feel better. But at the risk of bringing anybody down, I’d like to share with you the weird stage I seem to be in. As I read all these happy things you all describe, I find myself thinking how wonderful they are, and how upsetting it is to me that I’m NOT find happiness in them right now. And to make things worse, I feel guilty that I’m not thanking God for every wonderful moment, considering where I was only months ago. Maybe some of you can identify with this…perhaps you’ve been here? Things that would normally make me happy just don’t seem worth the effort right now. I’m usually a people person, but find I don’t want to be around people at all. My thoughts are too variable and my concentration not dependable, so I don’t want to feel stupid around people. I’m in the 5th month since diagnosis. [GBS diagnosed and first infustion was 01Feb08]. I’m telling myself that this will pass. I was SO happy a couple of months ago, as I started to improve. I remember even smiling when I could lift the tea pot by myself and being thankful for everything around me. Now nothing makes me smile. I WANT to smile when I see birds building a nest, or WANT to feel the urge to get my camera out when I see a beautiful sunset but … I don’t. I’ll keep reading your “feel better” words and hopefully the magic will come back.
      Wendy[/QUOTE]

• Anonymous
      June 9, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Wendy,
      I can identify with what you said. The first time I got GBS 22 years ago I noticed that my emotions were flat. I said to my doctor that I could not feel love/passion. There was not one man on the planet that I felt attracted to – even Armand Assante didn’t do it for me! He said that I put up a protective wall and it would take awhile for it to come down. It took a year – and that was my mild GBS. Of course, I was coming out of a one year marriage that provided stress. I would see couples and say , “Why doesn’t he leave her?”
      This time my GBS was much worse. Stress again brought it on. Not another husband -not that stupid – but my mom’s death. Again my emotions feel flat. And since all of my friends and relatives left when I got GBS like rats on a sinking ship, I am facing aloneness. So what makes me smile?
      1.When the clock shows 8-20 I loudly sing Happy Birthday to myself – silly
      2. I feed the squirrels watermelon and mango and pineapple – they may as
      well be happy
      3. I am finishing Barbara Walters’ book and one about the Dalai Lama
      4. I am reading 4 books on Facial exercises – so when I get happy, my
      face will be ready and younger looking GBS does a number on the tone
      5. I bought Plumeria soap for decadent baths and a yellow duck!
      6. My new motto: INSTEAD OF A LIFE, I THOUGHT I’D GET CABLE!

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 12:03 am

Jaie, flickr .com, all u need is a yahoo email acct and they have free pic photo blog/book type thing. I have a flickr acct if I can remember it I’ll post it..brain fog is really thick right now.

Check out the lighterside thread its the last one on the forum listings page we post pics on quite a few threads there especially on do you have a pic thread.:)

i found it….flickr.com/photos/jinxedangel good thing I wrote it in my addy book otherwise I would never have remembered it:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 1:45 am

angel,

i dont have any pics on here. Went lookin for some and realized im teh picture taker of the family, so im always on the other side of the camera. I’m gonna search for some though. Will check out the flickr thing and the lighterside ones, too.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 11:23 am

Cheryl, nice family. Finally get to meet them except you:confused: like Jamie said apparently you’re always on the other side. On the only one of you all I see is hair, lots of it 😉 I like your animal and sunset pictures, great shots.

I added you as a friend on our account, okay?

Oh, [B]little things that make me feel better [/B]was the topic, wasn’t it? Well, I like to look in on other people’s lives – like on Flickr.

If you can’t remember links, why don’t you put an icon on the desktop. Mine is full of it. This is the laptop with picture “babysitter Thaistyle”

[IMG]http://www.ourbluemarble.us/forum/Babysitter_Thaistyle.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Hi, I’m Rodger. I’m glad I found this sight. After eight years of struggling with GBS and now CIDP, I thought most of the laugh in me had burned out. Until I related to Norbs story.

Thanks, from Pueblo, CO.

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 6:20 pm

I want one of those “babysitters” for this little one thats on its way! Heck, i’d use it for my teenager, too:eek: Along with the bird to peck at him when he gets mouthy. Yeah! Let him argue with that old bird! Bet he’d shut up real quick:p

According to him…

my favorite way to entertain myself is to irritate the crap of out him – if only he’d realize its not as fun as it appears :p

• Anonymous
      June 10, 2008 at 6:21 pm

hey roger! ur gonna love it here!

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 4:00 am

Welcome to The Family Roger!!!

Norb, You know its always OK with me!!:) If you think that was alot of hair, you should see some of my hair shots when I was younger–before it started falling out and turning silver!!!:D

Another thing I love doing, that is therapy for me, is crocheting blankets and things. So far I’ve only been able to make 2 blankets for “Our Little Angels” in this cyber Family—still working on the rest. It makes me feel better knowing they can feel more comfortable while going through this miserable disease and its treatments.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 4:42 am

im not familiar with “our little angels”. Can you fill me in?

another question:
      does the repetative motion in crocheting, knitting, and even reading make you sick? It really throws me for a loop! It has taken me months to get my baby blanket, maybe, half done. Any suggestions?

• June 11, 2008 at 8:35 am

Jamie

I know if I cant focus on a moving object I get “upset” and nauesated. For instance, I can see my computer refreshing even though no one else can see it…and I have it set so it should be impossible to see happen. If i sit for too long, it makes me sick. A movement out of the corner of my eye that is too fast, sets me off. Driving is okay, but I tend to look around a lot and use my peripheral vision for everything. I avoid accidents and end up seeing way more than I should while driving…because it seems I am not paying attention to the task at hand. Drives my hubby nuts!

Another odd thing. I can close my eyes and “see” colors of the people in the room. They move like the people do, and each person has their own color. I know I have associated a color with a person for a long time, but noticed being able to “see” them while having an MRI and was knocked out because of claustrophobia. I could see each person who was in the room but only by color. Even though I dont remember the MRI itself. It was bizarre but cool too. The dog, he has a white color, hubby his color is yellow and usually red (not a mad color, but he is a red head so maybe that is it). My oldest son, bluish silver. My middle son, turquoise. My daughter, she can be a mix, but usually a bright fuscia. The cats are white as well…animals must glow pure light or something I dunno. Sorry this sounds like madness, but it definitely got more intense and noticeable after I got sick.

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I love to read and find that always gets me relaxed. I can lose myself in a good mystery book and not think about what is going on in my body. I also like to knit and am knitting prayer shawls for people who are critically and/or terminally ill. I think I need to knit one for myself:D . I also love cooking but with my kids all away from home now it is only hubby and I and I run out of ideas when cooking for two:( . We need tog et the What’s cooking thread up and going again….

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Jamie, “Our Little Angels” are the kids on this site who have gbs/cidp.
      I couldn’t do any crochet or reading or focusing type activities until this year, since onset in Aug 05. I started out by using the largest needle and going slowly. Thats why its taking me soo long to get blankets made lately. I’ve been in and out of flare ups since Feb and it has slowed me way down as far as focus and concentration activities go. But its not going to stop me from doing what I enjoy, just takes me a little longer to accomplish things.

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2008 at 4:02 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Jamie,
      Was reminded of this thread that you started as i was reading Kai’s birth announcement ’cause i think this is where i first met you.
      Reading back over the posts, i noticed for the first time all the great photographers we have in our group. Looking at their collections put a smile on my face.

My favorite ‘tonic’ is calling my best Pal, Jan.She always makes me laugh and she brings out my funny side as well. When i hang up, i can’t wipe the grin off my face or the lightness i feel in my heart.
      [IMG]http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/oldbat2ccats/Avatar__Grinning_Kitty.gif[/IMG]
      See Ya![/SIZE][/FONT]