What do you do to make life easier?

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I was wondering what some of you do to help with making life a little easier and less stressful. I sometimes want a cup of coffee, but because of pain I don’t want to go through the trouble of making it. I bought a Keurig coffee machine and LOVE it. All I do is put in what I want and it takes less than a minute to make. It also has hot cocoa, tea, and even iced tea. Also, I try to have crockpot recipes that I can put together in the morning and have it done for dinner. If anyone has any good ones could you give me some. My pain is always worse in the later afternoon and night, so by that time I am no good in the kitchen to make something:( . Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Clare in Michigan

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I say trying to rest as much as possible is probably a good thing. I know when Emily’s CIDP starts acting up a little rest on the couch does wonders for her.

As far as your Keurig – I’m glad to read a good review of it. I think I want one as well but wasn’t sure how well it worked.

Kelly

• December 1, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Always try to make sure you are getting 8 hrs of sleep per night. This condition will make you feel like you don’t want to get up and do anything. Try and push through it. The more you try and do now will lead to improvements in the future.

Take care

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm

All the time, I am making various adjustments to the ordinary tasks of living in order to make them easier for me to manage, such as:
      Carry smaller loads, lift smaller things, stand for shorter periods of time, sit and lie down when tired, dress warmly, eat right, try to get enough sleep.
      Try to do my tasks comfortably, in manageable segments.
      Pamper myself at times with something special to eat, a home-spa hour, wearing something nice from the closet, eating from my good china with soft music in the background.
      I turn OFF the tv, computer, radio, phone ringer, and don’t answer the door when I want some quality solitude. I stay home, and don’t stress myself going downtown, only shopping when necessary. I enjoy my hobbies, and set goals and enjoy working on them. I still try to do some of the things I used to do, but I take into account my own present frailities. I regularly downsize my posessions and simplify my living space, so I can manage the cleaning and upkeep better. I try to find a better way to manage the little difficulties, so often I am focussed on problem-solving little things; sometimes the answers come soon, sometimes later.
      Find something good and beautiful in the day, count my blessings every night as I fall asleep, try to focus on the positive instead of letting the negative overwhelm me.
      When I awake in the morning, I remind myself that the first half hour is the hardest, the greatest pain. I limber up slowly and gradually, then get up and get on with my day. I know that my first 3 hours of every day are my most productive, so I plan important things to be done at that time.
      When out and about, I focus on what I have to do, not on everything and everyone around me (watch out for accident situations, though). This way, I have enough energy to make it through the tasks without feeling too tired out from absorbing & dealing with all that is around me. Lots of times, I just look up and walk along enjoying the sky, the trees and the beauty of nature. And it brings me into closer communion with the Lord, to focus on fewer things, but the right things. “He restoreth my soul”.

• Anonymous
      December 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love all the other suggestions. The one’s I would add would be naps if you can get them (especially afternoon). The more you push yourself at night, the longer the recovery time.

Once you get past the physical stuff, the mental stuff was harder for me. Once I got past the chronic nature of CIDP, and realized what I would not do again, and got depressed about what I had and why it happened to me etc, etc. I realized that my mental health was as important as my physical health.

I do a lot of things to keep me feeling better. I treat myself to a movie noe and again. I take the time to read books. I try to listen to music, I should do better with that one. I don’t argue with my spouse as much, it isn’t important. My faith is stronger. My outlook is something that I can control, but there was a time when it controlled me. I suffered from that.

Good luck,

Dick S